'North Shore'

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

'North Shore'

#1 Post by steveadl »

Anyone else caught this show? Just discovered it myself in my never ending quest for Hawaii material.

Only went for one season back in 2004, and impossible to get on DVD as yet. Had a guy download it and put it onto DVD's for me. Watching the first two episodes last night, it's actually not a bad show and the scenes of Hawaii are awesome!

It's shot at the Turtle Bay resort on the north shore, but they obviously shot all over Oahu. In the first two episodes I watched last night, I already spotted them using the beach north of the Anderson Estate as you can see Rabbit Island in the background, as well as the cliffs where the lighthouse is just down the road. They took a shot from the air looking from the sea to the light house and started panning around, but stopped just short before we'd be able to see the tidal pool in the very far background! :D

Anyway, looking forward to watching the rest of the series, and another show to add to my Hawaii collection. :wink:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by steveadl »

Had to laugh during an episode I watched last night.

The lead character Jason takes his girlfriend to a supposedly secluded part of beach on Honolulu which he says he owns - "the last 4 acres of undeveloped beach front on Oahu" where he plans to build his hotel.

Yet in the background the whole time was Rabbit Island off the coast, with the lighthouse in the distance in another shot. Another angle would have shown us Island Hoppers headquarters. :D

Chuckled to myself - 4 acres and build a hotel? You've got about 100ft of scrub and rocky beach between Kalanianaole Highway and the water right next to Sea Life Park.

I wonder if local Hawaiians watch these shows and laugh as well when they spot these familiar places that they know make no sense in their context within the show? :shock:

Google Maps Photo

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by steveadl »

Talk about a shock ending!

Shame, I would have liked to have seen another season or two.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Seaver41 »

I stayed at the Turtle Bay Resort back in 2005..........before I found this site. Didn't know the connection back then. Really nice place.......tremendous location with a couple nice golf courses. Learned to surf there and had a sea turtle swim inches under me and the board.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by steveadl »

That would have been cool. Definitely going to head to the North Shore on my next trip over. Turtle Bay Resort, Polynesian Cultural Centre and just to see the general area.