Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote: Steve will be washing or polishing that car sometime down the road and I can also see the car playing a role in capturing the guy who killed his father.
Yep, I can see the young McGarrett getting out of a jam by using a few cans of "The Dry Look by Gillette" hairspray that the older McGarrett must have stored in the car.................

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#92 Post by Mavrick »

zebra3 wrote:I don't care too well for the "new muscle" cars of today. Plastic tanks.
I am the same way, They seem like they are trying to bring back the old style with their retro stuff, But nothing takes a place of real V8 and dual 4 barrel carbs and metal bodies
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by zebra3 »

Boy I'd love a 1970 Dodge Challeger, or a '69 Ford Torino.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Steve »

Having grown up in the Muscle Car era ( I had a 66 Mustang and a 69 AMX) I can attest it was a fun time. The cars were powerfull and fairly easy to work on, gas was around 30 cents/gallon, but, todays engines are much better engineered as getting 100,000 miles now is considered nothing and the bodies don't start rusting away months after you drive them off the showroom floor. I think the new Camaro and Challenger finally got the styling right but think the Mustang needs to be tweaked just a bit more.............

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#95 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Another great episode last night. At the end when Steve and his sister are at the cemetery, I was kinda surprised when they did a shot at their dad's epitaph and it mentioned him as a veteran of the Vietnam War. I never watched too much of the original. Was he a 'Nam vet? I would have guessed WW2 myself.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#96 Post by Pahonu »

I think Jack Lord's McGarrett was supposed to have been a Korean War vet, not unlike another popular PI, Jim Rockford!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Steve »

Steve McGarrett' fathers name in the new series was John McGarrett. I'm thinking the showing of the classic car was just a salute to the original Five-O and the new series characters stand on their own in real time with no realtionship to the past Five-O. I know it's confusing a lot of folks right now as I was thinking perhaps the new Steve is the grandson of the Jack Lord Steve McGarrett, but that would mean Danno and Chin would all have to be relatives as well........ Not likely........

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#98 Post by Pahonu »

It is indeed a "reboot" as they say in the industry. The general premise and characters are similar, but it is not an extension of the original.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Little Garwood »

Episode four's scene at the prison yard basketball court was embarrassing! It was like something out of a Ron Shelton film. I was waiting for Mr. Double Life to "get the shiv" from another inmate once he stopped talking to McGarrett.

I was also amused by the gimpy Danno on a cane, just like Papa Caan in the 1975 Sam Peckinpah movie, The Killer Elite.

Yes, I've been critical but I'm still watching it every week.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by zebra3 »

I thought that the scene was not well done, but the "Play me for what you want" concept is a classic.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by KENJI »

I had to laugh, Steve has a brass bed and Thomas has a brass bed! I wonder if Steve has a brass bell near his nightstand?

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by zebra3 »

The new episode was pretty good. This series is giving remakes a good name.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Steve »

Anyone getting the Mac and or Maggie impression with McGarett's "friend" in Navy Intelligence.............Except of course, Thomas didn't have to sleep with them to get information..........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#104 Post by J.J. Walters »

I finally watched the new Hawaii Five-0 (first two episodes). I'm kind of on the fence about it, truthfully. I like the cast, the production quality and the Oahu filming locations, but I'm having a hard time getting past the whole "reboot" thing. I REALLY don't like how there is no connection to the original! Why was there such a need to use the same character names (and change the original role of Steve McGarrett to Jack McGarrett)? Why not simply call some of them the sons/daughters/friends (whatever) of the original characters, as well as adding in a few new characters? You could then have all sorts of tie-ins to the original show. It's just too weird; it's like the original never happened. This kind of thing is ok for a one-off movie (Miami Vice, etc.), but it seems disrespectful to the original in a weekly television series!

Some of the dialogue is a little too cliched for my liking, and I don't like how there is just a reckless disregard for so many laws! It's ok to stretch it a little bit, but come on!

The Oahu filming locations is definitely the highlight for me. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by KENJI »

Hi Steve,

The Naval Intel. Mac and Maggie factor is totally there! I think Steve has it better than Thomas on this one!

James also makes a good point about the breaking of the laws, it makes them borderline criminals themselves. I wish they would've made the new Steve M., the grandson of the original and come up with different names for the rest of the cast. It is confusing and disappointing at the same time.
Lets hope they connect the dots a bit better in future episodes!!