Lou Grant

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dervish
Rear Admiral

Lou Grant

#1 Post by Dervish »

I've been catching episodes of Lou Grant Monday - Thursday on Family Network for the past few weeks. I am totally hooked now. I wish they had it on DVD. I know they sell the episodes on Amazon as downloadable and they're even on Hulu, but I'd much rather have them in disc format.

I've become so much of a fan that I even (temporarily) replaced my Magnum ringtone with the Lou Grant opening theme. :p

Any other fans of the series?

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by AmandaByNight »

I LOVE Lou Grant. I didn't know it was on the Family Channel (or Network, not sure if they are different, and I hope I get them!)... American Life TV was playing Lou with Trapper John every Wednesday and it was my mid-week treat. Then they changed their format and I was left without. I do catch it every so often on Hulu and also taped some of the episodes when they aired on American Life. And strangely enough, my guy was at a comic-book convention and someone was selling episodes of Trapper John! How odd is that. Anyway, he bought me a DVD!

Ed Asner is such a wonderful actor. That he could make Lou so different on Mary Tyler Moore, yet keep the core of him the same is a testament to how he operates around a character. I also adore Rossi. He's kind of annoying but so lovable as well! And of course Charlie and Mrs. Pynchon. Mason Adams who played Charlie was the Smucker's (sp?) voice when I was growing up. I've adored him my whole life. I think Billie had to grown on me a little. I like her (and I love some of her clothes, she's so fashionably casual), but it took a while.

OK, sorry. I guess I was having Lou Grant withdrawls! :)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

Btw, this inspired me to go watch a Smucker's ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pRG9PRRsN4

(I couldn't figure out how to ad the youtube video here)

Mason had such a gentle voice. And this ad is hilarious!

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Dervish »

Hi Amanda! Thanks for sharing the commercial! I didn't even start watching this show until a few short months ago, so I didn't realize Mason Adams was the voice on the Smucker's commercials!

For any Ed Asner fans, apparently he's doing a one man FDR play. More information here! Sadly I had to miss it when he had a tour stop 3 hours drive away from me. I hope I get another opportunity to see him perform!

If you're a Star Wars fan, Ed Asner was also the voice of Master Vrook in the highly popular game "Knights of the Old Republic".

The name of the network currently rerunning Lou Grant is "Family Net". They're also airing Flipper and Trapper John, among other old shows.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

Hey Dervish!

Thanks for the info. I don't think we get Family Net here. I looked at the schedule and saw Lou and Trap is on EVERY weeknight. Darn. I would love to see them... Oh well... Hopefully, we'll get it soon enough.

I'm so going on Hulu this week to get some Lou Grant love! :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

I haven't seen an episode of LOU GRANT since its original run! Or maybe A&E used to air it in the early '90s (before they switched allegiances to racist bounty hunters and sensationalist crime programs). As a kid, I always thought of Lou Grant as a "grown up" show, but I'm a lifelong Pernell Roberts fan and have also been watching Trapper John, MD on youtube. I wonder if one of the dvd labels like "Shout! Factory" or Timeless Media could release these shows?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by AmandaByNight »

I was also someone who thought of Lou Grant as an adult show but watched Trapper John a lot as a kid. There is this funny episode of Trapper I just saw where Gonzo is looking at an X-ray and says, "Her electrolytes are low."

Can you tell if someone's electrolytes are low via an X-ray?

Hilarious. I miss when shows took liberty with stuff like that. Now everyone is a stickler for real facts, and that's fine, but it never bothered me when shows just rattled stuff off so they could get back to the high drama!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm more interested in character interaction than anything else. That's why I like Magnum so much.

As for Trapper John, I've been watching an episode a week--Sundays, like when it was on originally--on good ol' Youtube.

Snazzy theme music, too.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by AmandaByNight »

I watched a couple of Trapper Johns on Hulu after Pernell Roberts passed away earlier this year. There's a TON on there. I should go back and watch some more. Thanks for the reminder.

Why isn't Lou Grant and Trapper on DVD? It blows me away.