William Shatner

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

William Shatner

#1 Post by Sam »

I'm not a Shatner fan but I thought this was good.

http://www.tv.com/video/15055/dances-wi ... _summary;v

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show! Even though Shatner's character can get VERY annoying sometimes, I still admire him for being willing to make such a complete fool of himself so tongue-in-cheek-ly so often. The "chemistry" between him and James Spader is unparallelled in "buddy shows," as far as I'm concerned. And Denny Crane does things we wish we could get away with.

The show just has a way of letting him dig himself a big hole and you think he should just pull it in after him and end the misery -- and then he manages to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and makes the situation "right." The writing, of course, sets him up and allows him to do this, but he can pull it off every time. I think it takes great talent to do this correctly and convincingly.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Kahunagirl »

I discovered BL when I found a clip on the Internet of the first Ivan Tiggs (our hero, TS) episode. It was SO outrageous (who knew TS could carry a tune?!) that I just kept going back to it over and over again. After I found out that there were 4 Ivan episodes, I broke down and bought one DVD set. My husband is a Trekkie Shatner fan from way back and my son "knew" him from the Priceline commercials. After my son watched a couple of episdoes with me and convinced my husband that it really was a great show, he watched along with us ... and got completely hooked. We've now got all 4 seasons on DVD and I have to DVR the new episodes every Monday night because they're on after hubby's bedtime. For Father's Day, we gave my husband a Denny Crane bobblehead doll that actually says "Denny Crane." Don't know what we'll watch for good dramedy once these last 13 episodes air.

Kahunagirl

layne
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by layne »

Thanks so much for posting that clip! That's the beginning of the episode 2 weeks ago that I missed. I got the whole episode on DVR except for the first few minutes! I was so upset...hard to follow the rest of the show when you miss that crucial opening scene!

This is one of my favorite shows. I'm really going to miss it. I LOVE Shatner in it. Great chemistry between Denny and Alan. Best on tv right now.

I actually loved TS as Ivan too. It was a fun character that I would have loved to have seen more of. When they ended his storyline with Shirley on the show, they never really wrapped it up and I thought he would be back. John Larroquette's character is ok, but I would have loved to seen more of Ivan as one of the regulars instead. He was more fun. Great show!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I never thought I'd be able to think of Shatner as anyone but Captain Kirk...but now it's hard to see him without immediately thinking, "Denny Crane." And that's no small feat.

I initially bought season one because of the Denny Crane foolishness that I'd seen in clips. So it was a great surprise to learn that the character of Alan Shore was equally complex, funny, and fascinating to watch. I love the show and wish we could at least get a complete final season.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Sam »

Shatner's Raw Nerve coming to the Bio Channel on Dec 2nd.

http://www.biography.com/shatner/

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

Shermy wrote:
So it was a great surprise to learn that the character of Alan Shore was equally complex, funny, and fascinating to watch.
I think this is, in part, due to the fine acting of James Spader. Besides our TS, I believe he just might be one of the best actors on TV today.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

SelleckLover wrote:I think this is, in part, due to the fine acting of James Spader. Besides our TS, I believe he just might be one of the best actors on TV today.
You often hear about an actor "disappearing" into a role, but Spader truly does with Shore, imo. I've seen him in dozens of films and tv shows over the years, but when I watch Boston Legal, I only see Alan Shore.

Alan Shore: You’re good when you get testy.
Denny Crane: Came easy today. My balls hurt.
Alan Shore: Let’s have that be the one and only time you tell me that.

Denny Crane: What was the word you used to describe me on the show tonight?
Alan Shore: Inimitable.
Denny Crane: That’s it. That’s the kind of mayor I’d be. Inimitable. It’s fun being me. Is it fun being you?
Alan Shore: Most of the time yes, actually.
Denny Crane: Well, what else is there?
Alan Shore: Indeed.