Whatcha Reading?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#46 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, maybe MPI draws the "detail-oriented" fans! I think that's a sign of intelligence among the fans. Some of us are sticklers about chrononology, clothing, locations, plots, family connections, etc., etc. -- and some of us are sticklers for how things are written about those details.

Sorry, guys (and gals), it's just my job and I canNOT seem to stop doing it. But I don't correct anyone's email and send it back! (well, I haven't so far.) It's just the proliferation of bad spelling, punctuation, and grammar "forgiven" by the need for brief text messages that drives me crazy! (what the smiley face for crazy? Is there one where the eyes are spinning?)

I'm just glad I'm not the ONLY one . . . . :D

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#47 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
It's just the proliferation of bad spelling, punctuation, and grammar "forgiven" by the need for brief text messages that drives me crazy!
All I have to say about that is: AMEN!!

I would also like to add that I think "spell check" is also one of the culprits here. I am increasingly seeing homophones used in sentences in major publications (like my local newpaper, for example). I have written letters to the editor of this paper many times and this never gets addressed. I have a suspicion that they use spell check, which insures a correctly spelled word, but does not indicate if a word is being used properly. (Such as using the word vial instead of vile, their instead of they're or there.) I think it's kind of sad that the publisher of a major newspaper cannot hire a proofreader that knows the difference or even knows that one is needed. So goes the "dumbing-down" of the nation!!! :cry:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Lily »

We of like mind come here to comment on a series which meant a great deal to us. However, I dont think correction of spelling, punctuation etc., is what Magnum Mania is all about.

SelleckLover

#49 Post by SelleckLover »

You are right Lily...this site is for fun and punctuation and spelling doesn't count. I was just speaking about so-called "professional" publications. :D

Icepick
Admiral

#50 Post by Icepick »

I'm a bit of a nutter when it comes to spelling but I only ever correct my own. Although, I might PM someone if they consistently misspelt a word but hopefully they would realise I was only helping.

I'm currently attempting a go at a book by Stephen Fry called The Stars' Tennis Balls(called Revenge in the US). Fry you'll probably know as the famous British actor and writer best known Stateside for his work on 'Black Adder' with Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie. He is also famous as half the comedy act with Laurie in 'Jeeves and Wooster' and 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie'.

The book is a take on 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. It's some slow reading so far and it better pick up or else...
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Carmen
MPI

#51 Post by Carmen »

Am I the only Larry McMurtry fan round here?
Lonesome dove I read about every other year, and from time to time it is Texasville or Buffalo Girls. Somehow I never liked Terms of endearment, only the sequel "the evening star".
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Coops »

Carmen wrote:Am I the only Larry McMurtry fan round here?
Lonesome dove I read about every other year, and from time to time it is Texasville or Buffalo Girls. Somehow I never liked Terms of endearment, only the sequel "the evening star".
Nope, I've read Lonesome Dove multiple times and watch the mini-series about once a year. I've read all four novels but have a different oppinion on every one of them. McMurtry is a very eccentric author, but he does give a good idea of the many flavors of Texas. Some of his books I really like, others leave me scratching my head.

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#53 Post by kudubuck »

I want to suggest four books for you guys to check out. The titles are:

Diamond Head
Sand Dollars
Emerald Flash and
Silversword

They were written by Charles Knief and are about an ex Navy Seal turned Private Investigator......yes really....and yes, in Hawaii. He lives on a 64 foot sail boat and references are made to the Magnum show somewhere in each book. I enjoyed them BECAUSE he was compared to Magnum.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#54 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

kudubuck wrote:I want to suggest four books for you guys to check out. The titles are:

Diamond Head
Sand Dollars
Emerald Flash and
Silversword

They were written by Charles Knief and are about an ex Navy Seal turned Private Investigator......yes really....and yes, in Hawaii. He lives on a 64 foot sail boat and references are made to the Magnum show somewhere in each book. I enjoyed them BECAUSE he was compared to Magnum.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check these out. Right now I am re-reading Dispatches.

SelleckLover

#55 Post by SelleckLover »

I am now reading The Crying Heart Tattoo by David Martin. Got it at the library. So far so good! :D

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Frodoleader »

[quote="Carmen"]Am I the only Larry McMurtry fan round here?

Nope...I've read Lonesome Dove, Cheyenne Moon, Dead Mans Walk, Last Picture Show, plus about a half dozen other McMurtry novels whose titles I cannot think of now.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Coops »

Just finished Lynn "Buck" Compton's 'Call Of Duty'.

After many, many years of watching the movie I've finally started reading 'The Godfather' by Mario Puzzo.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#58 Post by J.J. Walters »

kudubuck wrote:I want to suggest four books for you guys to check out. The titles are:

Diamond Head
Sand Dollars
Emerald Flash and
Silversword

Ooh, these sound really good! Like a modern take on MacDonald's Travis McGee books. With the Magnum references, I'll definitely have to check these out!

Thanks kudubuck!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#59 Post by J.J. Walters »

Just started The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon. Chabon is one of my favorite modern fiction writers. He won the Pulitzer in 2001 for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, a fantastic book. This is his very first novel, written when he was a grad student, and it's set in '80s. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Coops »

Finished "The Godfather" and now am almost done with "Deke!" by Donald K. Slayton, who, ironically enough, lived in a house across the creek from me in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.