sophia
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by sophia »

Sam and Golf,
Thanks so much! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Right now, we have it planned that I'm going to take the helicopter flying "lesson" in the Robinson 44 so Larry can sit in the back and film while I'm doing the flying. That way, he can be filming the estate as we fly over it and I won't have to worry about that.
Oh, wow! THAT is really cool, golf! :shock:

Definitely try to strike up a conversation with Eve if you can. I've heard that other fans have talked to her, and she can be quite cordial. If you do talk to her, ask her about the "rock slab" in the tidal pool. I MUST KNOW THE STORY BEHIND THAT THING! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Sam »

Golf and Sophia

It seems that Ms. Anderson can do more than climb coconut palms.

1980...First female competitor to enter "The Molokai Challenge"
http://www.molokaiworldchampionships.com/about.htm

Also 1980..she was in the Ironman.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:2E ... =firefox-a

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

Wow! She's quite the athlete! I had no idea. No wonder she can shinny up cocoanut palms to trim them.

However, if she's that physically adept, I would think she could do a little more work around her own house to keep the place in better condition . . . . I won't mention THAT if I do get the chance to talk to her.

Wouldn't it be really neat to have HER use our video camera to get the infamous "snorkel shot" with Larry and me doing the two people in the water???? I wish . . . . But I bet she's been asked that before, so that may be a little too "cute" for her to want any part of it.

However, I will ask about the square slab. That has always puzzled me too. The main thing about it that puzzles me is how it is always visible, high or low tide. For example, in the episode where Zeus or Apollo is sitting on the slab holding TM's shoes and TM takes them from the dog, that would be low tide, right? But then in No Need to Know, that's when the girls at night swim out to the slab and perch up on it, so would that be high tide? But if there's that much difference in water depth between high and low tide, wouldn't the slab be UNDER water at high tide?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#35 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:However, I will ask about the square slab. That has always puzzled me too. The main thing about it that puzzles me is how it is always visible, high or low tide. For example, in the episode where Zeus or Apollo is sitting on the slab holding TM's shoes and TM takes them from the dog, that would be low tide, right? But then in No Need to Know, that's when the girls at night swim out to the slab and perch up on it, so would that be high tide? But if there's that much difference in water depth between high and low tide, wouldn't the slab be UNDER water at high tide?

golf
I always wondered that myself, and wondered if it could be a mount of some kind to place a gun turret for a coastal defense system during WWII in order to repel a potential invasion. There is no mountain or hill to place it on, and there isn't much of a beach to work with (like the gun emplacement seen in "Past Tense"). I'm sure there is a much more practical purpose for that square slab.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#36 Post by Doc Ibold »

Maybe it has something to do with turtle breeding?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Sam »

Golf,
I had to laugh when I read your post.

>>>However, if she's that physically adept, I would think she could do a little more work around her own house to keep the place in better condition . . . . I won't mention THAT if I do get the chance to talk to her.<<<

I'm trying to imagine the scenario where you could introduce that topic.Definitely not a good ice breaker.

I Google Earthed and measured the slab,it's roughly 390 feet in both directions to the end rocks.So pretty much dead center.
I'm wondering if it was a platform for a winch to haul in nets as a way of gathering the turtles.I don't think we're talking big 4 foot green turtles but rather small guys.

I have both numbers to the Shriners facilities,if I find the time today,I'll call them to see if someone has any info on the slab and the pier.
I'll post back if there is anything new.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Steve »

I have been twice, the first time was in November of 1987, 3 days in Waikiki and 4 days on Maui. I was dating a cocktail waitress from The Chicago Sheraton so we were able to upgrade to some really nice suites both in Waikiki and in Maui. I do recall as James has said, driving the jeep I rented right past the Anderson Estate at least 4 times but alas, didn't know at the time where it was so just drove right by it. There was a second unit filming on Waikiki beach when we were there, but trying to watch that is like trying to watch water freeze, a lot of setting up and not much action. I also recall seeing a few red Ferrari's with "rent me" signs in the windshield so Magnum, PI was definitely on folks minds back then.
My second trip was in April of 2007 with my wife and nine year old at the time, son. I talked my wife into just doing Waikiki (my favorite) as it was more economical than Maui and there would be more things for our son to do (and me to slyly find some Magnum sights). We stayed in a wonderfull room in the Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village, looking right up Waikiki Beach to Diamond Head. We also had the great fortune of being there when it was a full moon phase so we could observe the full moon rising over Diamond Head at night and watch the sun rise over it in the morning. I was easily able to find The Anderson Estate, timed it so it was low tide and we were easily able to walk up the beach to the Tidal Pool and take some great pics. We also found Diamondhead Studios, The Elks Club, did Pearl harbor, climbed to the top of Diamondhead, snorkled at various places around the Island and just overall had a great time!

Steve
Chicago

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#39 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've never been but hope to make it one day. The Estate and the Arizona Memorial will be my two must see destinaitons.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#40 Post by SelleckLover »

Hey, IKWYT...just a heads-up if you want to see the Arizona Memorial. I believe you have to make reservations to see it and when I was on Oahu (1988), there was a waiting list, so I didn't get to see it because the soonest available was the day after I left! I don't know if that's still the case, but I think it would be worth checking out before you go. Just thought I'd share. :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#41 Post by IslandHopper »

I also heard that you had to make reservations, however, when I was there in July '01 I took a chance and showed up. I had to wait at least an hour before the launch took us over to the Arizona, but didn't have to make reservations. Maybe it was the time of year I was there (July). I don't know if that is off season or not. Does Hawaii have an off season?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Icepick
Admiral

#42 Post by Icepick »

I was in Honolulu in October and went over to Pearl Harbor. An alternative to not doing the Visitors Center and the Arizona memorial if it's busy and you can't wait, is just do the USS Missouri. You walk across the car park from the Visitors Center towards the USS Bowfin. Here you can purchase tickets and where the bus pick-up is. There's heaps of buses and we only waited about 5 mins.

It takes you over the bridge to Ford Island where you can get off at the Aviation Museum on the way to the Missouri. We weren't that impressed with the museum but they did have a few planes. What was cool is that it's in an original hangar and next to the disused Control Tower. I have a vintage photo of the exact spot taken after the attack in 41. After the museum you wait for another bus and it takes you to the Missouri. From the ship you can view the Arizona memorial as it's pretty close. I think what the gift shop lady was saying is that the Missouri is only 30% open to the public but every year they will be opening up new parts. The entire experience was amazing and I look forward to going again. The Missouri is $24 and the combo price including the Aviation Museum is $28.

I'm planning to go back again in October. If anyone is there at the same time we should have a Magnum meet up!
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Steve »

Both times I was there, you just showed up and they gave you a voucher on what tour you were on and what time it would start. The wait both trips was about an hour to 90 minutes and it probably depends on what day you go and what time you show up. There is things to look at while you wait and they now have the Submarine, The Bowfinger, right next to the visitors center that you can go on while you are waiting. Last trip was during Spring Break in April so if there is any "High Season" I would imagine that was it...........

Steve
Chicago

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

SelleckLover, thanks for the heads up. That is something I will look into whenever I make it to the islands.

Jaybird
Admiral

#45 Post by Jaybird »

I lived there and went to grade school in Waipahu. This was back when the Waikiki hotels were the Royal Hawaiian, the Ala Moana and the brand new Surfrider, all of 7 or 8 stories. Everything else in Waikiki was one or two stories. Was there when Hawaii became the 50th state!

I've been back many, many times for vacations and to surf and have been to all the islands, the major ones except Molokai and Lanai.

I fantasize often about chucking it all and moving over.

So, here is a recommendation. Easy to do. Go to Lanikai on Oahu. This is part of the town of Kailua, about 20 minutes from Honolulu airport but a world away. The beach is one of the most beautiful in the world. There are no hotels so you have to locate a bed and breakfast and there are many. This is a desirable location to live, expensive homes, good restaurants. It is just up the road from Robin's Nest. Don't go in the rainy season as it is on the windward side and can be wet. May through October is safe...usually. There is a world of action sports like paddling, windsurfing, etc.
To keep the aloha spirit I paddle and race with an outrigger club in the Lake Tahoe area. I highly recommend the sport for fitness and ohana. There are clubs around the world and about as many gals as guys paddle OC6. There are even coed divisions for the races. I also paddle and race surfskis. Magnum paddled one in a few episodes. FYI....trivia, it was a Hayden Spec ski, specially made to accomodate his size. He was actually a pretty good paddler. There is a learning curve to surfski paddling just to get where you can paddle at all without falling over. Today we use wing paddles versus the standard kayak paddle TM used back then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCbGg4bCfs

Aloha, JT