Whatcha Reading?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Coops »

Good!

The one thing about Pete Conrad I can say it, ONLY Pete Conrad could be taught how to fly by...a lesbian.

Just read the book!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sam »

Steve and Coops,

This past week has been "Space Week" on the Science Channel.This is tonight's listing.8:00 PM time is central.

In the Shadow of the Moon

Fri, Jul 11, 8:00 PM Run Time: 120 min.

Genre: Movie, Documentary

* TV-PG
* PG

NASA film footage illustrates interviews with surviving members of the Apollo moon missions, and the astronauts reflect on their astounding accomplishments.

All Listings

208 SCIENCE Fri 7/11 8:00 PM
208 SCIENCE Fri 7/11 11:00 PM
208 SCIENCE Sat 7/12 3:00 AM
208 SCIENCE Sat 7/12 9:00 AM

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

Thanks, Sam........I have been and will be watching tonight. I was joking with my wife and son Wednesday night when watching the program about The Phoenix Explorer. I told them it always used to bother me to see these rover missions with the JPL employees dressed like typical office tech people in wrinkled dockers and bad shirts and watching the landings in a cubicle. I would write e-mails about how awfull , unprofessional and so far from the original space missions it looked. At least for the landing of the Phoenix they had set up a small "Mission Control Room" with consols and they were dressed nicer but they still looked like Best Buy employees!!! WWGKS (What Would Gene Kranz Say)
.....LOL.........

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#19 Post by SelleckLover »

LMAO @ WWGKS!!! :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

MPS wrote:IslandHopper,

Thanks for mentioning what sounds like a terrific read, Consent To Kill by Vince Flynn.

I'm off to Amazon right now to order it. It may be a bit like the A J Quinnell novels about Creasy, the ex-mercenary.
You're welcome MPS. I know your going to love that book.

IKWYT,

If you find the Billy Mitchell movie let me know where you got it. I'd like to pick it up myself.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Coops »

Sam wrote:Steve and Coops,

This past week has been "Space Week" on the Science Channel.This is tonight's listing.8:00 PM time is central.

In the Shadow of the Moon

Fri, Jul 11, 8:00 PM Run Time: 120 min.

Genre: Movie, Documentary

* TV-PG
* PG

NASA film footage illustrates interviews with surviving members of the Apollo moon missions, and the astronauts reflect on their astounding accomplishments.

All Listings

208 SCIENCE Fri 7/11 8:00 PM
208 SCIENCE Fri 7/11 11:00 PM
208 SCIENCE Sat 7/12 3:00 AM
208 SCIENCE Sat 7/12 9:00 AM
I bought it on DVD a couple of months ago. I actually like For All Mankind better. But both are good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_All_Mankind

This is the soundtrack to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo:_At ... oundtracks

I've had it on vinyl and CD. A must have, it's awesome.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

I like the books everybody is reading! Thanks for sharing.

I finished Skeletons on the Zahara. A fantastic book. I've read my share of survival stories, but this one takes the cake. It's a flat out miracle anyone survived this ordeal.

It's back to fiction now - After the Plague - and other stories by T.C. Boyle. This one has been sitting on our bookshelf forever. I'm finally getting around to reading it.

Ah, reading in the summer. It just doesn't get any better. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Ok, I have finished The Great Pacific War and I have started two more books. One is called Preimtive Strike and is based on a plan to attack Japan and their assets before they could attack us (yes, I am a WWII buff), the other book is called Dixieland Delight which is about a guy covering a road trip for all twelve SEC schools for home football games. I am enjoying both books thus far.

SelleckLover

#24 Post by SelleckLover »

I am now reading The Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith. I was encouraged to read this by my hubby. I really don't like Sci-Fi and resisted at first, but this is such a well-written book, I can't put it down! It just goes to show that if you're a great writer, it doesn't really matter what the subject matter is. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Coops »

My wife just got me that. I can't wait to start it.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

There is a whole series of the Vince Flynn (author)/Mitch Rabb (protagonist) books. Read them all (best to take them in chronological order as you will understand character and plot changes better if you read the previous story). They are excellent! I LOVE that kind of story. And if you like those, you might also like the Brad Thor ones with Scot Horvath -- same type CIA character/black ops, etc.

I'm currently reading "Hit and Run," the new Lawrence Block "hitman" book (following Hit Man, Hit List, and Hit Parade). Block is also the author of the Matthew Scudder, PI, books (some of you might remember the movie with Jeff Bridges "Eight Million Ways to Die," which was based on one of the Scudder books). Prior to this one, I had just finished the new Lee Child/Jack Reacher book "Nothing to Lose." This is also an EXCELLENT series, in my opinion.

Can you tell I like the action/killer books? And P.I. books -- Nameless Detective series (Bill Pronzini), Elvis Cole (Robert Crais, also the author of "Hostage," which was made into the movie with Bruce Willis), Anne Perry's Victorian series (Thomas Pitt and William Monk), Elizabeth Peters' Victorian/Edwardian Egyptologists (Amelia Peabody and family)/ I'm also waiting for my library to get the new Robert Tanenbaum/Butch Karp book, I've read all that series and it is GREAT if you like detailed lawyer books (they make John Grisham look like a comic strip). I like lawyer series too -- John Lescroat's Dismas Hardy, David Baldacci, Steve Martini, etc. Also love the Harlan Coben Myron Bolitar series (gotta love that Win -- talk about a "misfit" chum!!).

I've read all the Stephanie Plum books up to 13 and 14, and I think at about 11 and 12 was when they started "jumping the shark" a little -- too repetitious with scenarios, characters' actions, etc. Robert B. Parker did the same thing, in my opinion, with the Spenser books, which started out GREAT, then seemed to go downhill when he had to produce a book a year (that was when the page thickness, type size, and margin increased to make the books "appear" to be full length when they're really more like novellas -- ditto for the Jesse Stone books).

Who just read High Profile? Didn't that one make you want to whomp Jesse Stone up-side-da-haid???? No one should be stupid enough to put up with that kind of behavior and have it NOT affect feelings (won't say any more, don't want to spoil it for someone intending to read it).

I read about a book a week. There was some person on the Today Show a few months ago, who had written a book about reading 52 books in one year -- like that was a big deal to commit to do. I do that anyway -- so I thought, 'Yeah? So? This is worth writing a book ABOUT and getting on The Today Show?"

The last non-fiction book I read was about the Delta Team soldier who was the only one of his team to survive an attack in Afghanistan and ended up being left, alone, and how he survived and was eventually rescued, etc., and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it right now.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#27 Post by SelleckLover »

I don't see how it's possible to read a book a week if you have children, especially small children. I only got into reading a large number of books AFTER my children graduated from high school! JMHO! :D

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MPS »

Hmmmm, I used to be able to read a book per week, that is, until I found Magnum-Mania :lol: :lol:

On the plus side, that is a fabulous list of authors and books, Golf. I will make sure to read the ones that I haven't.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#29 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I find reading time hard to come by. I usually read during my lunch break, and if I am lucky I get some time after work. Usually I just get a chapter in before bed. Now most of my free time is going to be devoted to preparing for my football officals test. I always like to go through the rule book a few times before the begining of the season to make sure I am prepared.

Carmen
MPI

#30 Post by Carmen »

Golf, I read High profile some weeks ago - bought Stone cold, sea change and death in Paradise later and liked all of them. What annoyed me most about High profile is there isn`t much to read, just short dialogues, not much of a story. Sea change is a pretty good one. But why can`t everyone write books like Diana Gabaldon, they last so much longer :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)