Aloha, Mahalo.

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#16 Post by N1095A »

Hi Everyone!!!!!!
I finally made it home. I was out all week. I passed within 10 miles of my house 3 times this week, but didn't have the time to stop. Seems they have me loading in late afternoon, and delivering on the opposite side of the state early the next morning. I got home about an hour ago, and had my first shower since Tuesday, and my first meal since Monday. I barely have time to pull off the road and sleep. I leave out Sunday night at midnight and start all over again. Not to complain, but this is no kind of life.
I wanted to check in, and say hello to all.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

Hi, N!

I hope you're at least making lots of money. We're still here, talking Magnum, Selleck, and everything else related to either or both. We miss your input on everything we chat about.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#18 Post by N1095A »

Not sure about the money yet. I won't get paid for another 2 weeks. If I stay with it that long. I miss surfing the MPI site as well. I took my DVDs along with me, but I didn't have time to eat or shower, so of course there isn't time to watch videos either. You just drive until you can no longer keep your eyes open or focus, then you try to find a place to pull off the road, crawl in the back, and pass out. Then, sleep for 4 or 5 hours, and start all over.

N1095A

I'll be back!

#19 Post by N1095A »

Hi everyone. Some good OT news. After 5 weeks (5th week upcoming) of over the road misery, I have gotten a new job with another company that offers a little more money, and will be a HOME DAILY run in a brand new Peterbilt Triaxle dump truck. I start on 10/29. No more being out all week, no more sleeping in the truck. I'll be around here again as well. It's been a good week.
Mike

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

Yea, Mike! That's good news! Nice to have you around again regularly, but particularly nice for you to have a GOOD new job with more money! Can't find a thing to quibble with about that! (Now you can buy more MPI memorabilia!!)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#21 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:Yea, Mike! That's good news! Nice to have you around again regularly, but particularly nice for you to have a GOOD new job with more money! Can't find a thing to quibble with about that! (Now you can buy more MPI memorabilia!!)

golf
Thanks Golf, I'm pretty happy about it. I did order the Rolex knockoff today as a sort of celebratory gesture, and it's on sale right now.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

I'm glad you're getting the watch. I would really like one, but it really wouldn't look right on my wrist, unfortunately. Wish they made a ladies' version . . . . but they don't. I told my husband I would get one for him, but he said he didn't want it (numbnut!).

Hey, I finally got my Ultimate Soldier 1:6 size MD500 (well, it was created and sold as the AH-6 Little Bird, but it's the same helicopter as TC's but with low skids instead of his high ones), and I'm starting to work on painting it. Didn't you say you were painting a 1:18 one? I may need your advice on painting correctly. I got the Tamiya acrylic paint to use with my airbrush. And I've washed the heli with warm soap and water (it was dusty). Internet instructions say not to handle a plastic model without gloves on so you don't get oil from your hands/fingers on it and cause the paint not to stick. Is that THAT important? I'm not entering any contests here. Do I need to do a coat of primer first? Also, what's the best clear coat sealer for after I get it painted?

I guess I should have asked these questions in a PM, so feel free to PM me your response, if you think we shouldn't use up space here on this subject.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#23 Post by N1095A »

Hi Golf,
Primer is important. before doing anything, I would rub the whole model lightly with a fine grade steel wool. Then wash it in warm water and let it completely dry. I used automotive primer, I also rubbed the primer lightly with steel wool. The brown is Duplicolor Cordova b rown metallic. I purchased it from Pep Boys. I used Testors Competition orange, and Testors yellow. I chose not to use my airbrush, but spray cans. I've fund that I can get just as good a result with them. As soon as I get off the road I plan to sand the paint with stel wool, and spray a coat of Testors clear gloss coat. I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free.
Mike

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, that's great Mike! Glad you found a better job. We love having you around here.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

#25 Post by N1095A »

Thanks James !!! I'm now officially finished with that nightmare! I start the new job Monday.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

So you'll be around to watch Las Vegas with Rick and TC? You can record it yourself? I still plan to TiVo/record, but it sounds as though you won't need to get a copy of the show from me.

If anyone else has their electricity go off and misses it or doesn't get that channel or whatever, let me know, and I'll be happy to make copies for anyone here who needs a copy.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

Will it go 'round in circles?

#27 Post by N1095A »

Here I am again facing the prospect of going back out on the road. I have a local guy wanting to hire me to go out over the road. I was in this position a little over a year ago as some of you know. Back then I was looking at being away during the week, and home weekends. This time it's out for 3-4 weeks, and home 3-4 days. I'm not looking forward to it, but nothing else has worked out. If I go, it'll be around next Tuesday. So, it looks like I'll be scarce on the board, but you'll be in my thoughts.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#28 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mike, I hope everything works out for you. If you take this job the boards will most certinaly miss you when you're on the road. Best of luck!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

Likewise Mike! May your route be an interesting one. Maybe get some audio books for the road, huh.

All the best.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#30 Post by rubber chicken »

That's a tough schedule. Perhaps after a few months of this, something else will turn up?

Maybe you already have something like this, but portable DVD players can be had for $100 and up. At least sometimes you could watch Magnum or other DVDs.

I wish you the best, Mike.