Why can't there be just one...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Why can't there be just one...

#1 Post by N1095A »

Good PI show on television? Something in the 80's tradition but edgier. You know with cool vehicles and men's men. No pretty boy sissies. I've been kicking around the idea of writing something involving a former Marine turned PI who is partners with his wife who is a former military pilot and runs her own helicopter charter business when she isn't working on a case. For cool rides, How about the new Ford Shelby Mustang for her, and the new Dodge Power Wagon for him?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sounds like a winner to me N1095A! Do it! :)

"P.I. shows" in general are a rarity and have been so for quite some time. I can only think of a few that would qualify as "P.I. shows" from the last ten years or so. None are anywhere close to being in the "MPI mold" in terms of both style and content:

Monk (2002-current)
Eyes (2005, starring Tim Daly)
Hack (2002-2004, starring David Morse)
Burn Notice (2007-current, USA Network)
The Dresden Files (2007-current, Sci-Fi Network)
Andy Barker P.I (2007, starring Andy Richter, created by Conan O'Brien).

I really like Monk. I thought Eyes and Hack were really good, as well. The rest I've never seen.

The last show, that I know, that comes closest to MPI is Nash Bridges (1996-2001) with Don Johnson and Cheech Marin, but those guys were police detectives, not "P.I.'s".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

Andy Barker P.I. was somewhat similar in that it was a comedy P.I. show and Magnum of course had it's fair share of comedy. Comedy was a bigger aspect of Andy Barker P.I. though, having been made by two comedians. I saw a few episodes - I don't think there were many - and I would have liked to have seen more. It shouldn't have been canceled.

The basic premise if I remember correctly was Andy Barker (Andy Richter) as an independent insurance salesman who moves into an office previously used by a private investigator. His business isn't doing very well, but people are coming in thinking it's still the P.I.'s office and wanting help. He's eventually pulled into the world of private investigation.

I thought it was a fun show, they should have let in run longer. It was just about the only network show in the last decade that I was interested seeing.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

It would be nice to have another one, but I think I would always be trying to compare it to Magnum.

JonnyDaytona
Captain

Re: Why can't there be just one...

#5 Post by JonnyDaytona »

N1095A wrote:Good PI show on television? Something in the 80's tradition but edgier. You know with cool vehicles and men's men. No pretty boy sissies. I've been kicking around the idea of writing something involving a former Marine turned PI who is partners with his wife who is a former military pilot and runs her own helicopter charter business when she isn't working on a case. For cool rides, How about the new Ford Shelby Mustang for her, and the new Dodge Power Wagon for him?

Cool Idea! I've been kicking around a script of my own as well.

I think most TV is crap in the US at the moment, very little action. Everything is this grim crime scene, forensics focused (which by the way might as well be Sci Fi to most real police departments) and deeply unsatisfying. Or reality TV, which i won't waste breath commenting on.

There are some interesting shows that have come out of the UK recently, Namely 'Hustle' and 'Life on mars' That I have really enjoyed.

The 80's was the last gasp of decent action programs, we are lucky to have lived through it. I'll tell you something though, I really miss looking forward to watching the box.
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#6 Post by SelleckLover »

JonnyDaytona wrote:
I think most TV is crap in the US at the moment, very little action.

I heartily agree with you! My TV watching consists of Animal Planet and some A&E. I do enjoy watching "The Office" with Steve Carrel but I'll be "over it" pretty soon! :D

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

True, "Hustle" isn`t that bad, and we enjoy watching "scrubs" - and I have to admit I liked "Gilmore girls" :oops:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think one thing that could make a show successful is to have one where the characters have a bond like the ones in Magnum. Then again, there are very few shows that have chemistry between the actors like we saw from Magnum. I guess we probably got lightning in a bottle and are fortunate enough to have an appreciation for what the show is..