Magnum's sofa

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Magnum's sofa

#1 Post by N1095A »

I while back in some thread I don't recall, I mentioned that back in the 80's my aunt had the same couch as TM, along with a matching chair.
many years have passed since I've spoken with my aunt. In fact I sort of lost touch with her since my mother passed away in 1998. I don't know why I chose now as the time to do it, but I looked her up on the net, and found her phone number. I called to catch up with her. She's just had her 90th birthday! she's doing extremely well, and on the phone sounds just the same as she did back 10-20 years ago. she said as long as she has her health she's looking forward to 100. She said she'd been praying she'd be able to find me, it was like I'd disappeared from the face of the earth, and she worried about what ever happened to me for years. We talked on the phone for over 2 hours. She told me she still has the sofa and chair. They have been in her storage unit since 2003 when she sold her house and moved into an apartment in the same building as her daughter. She said they are in like new condition, and if I want them, they're mine. Okay, they're 1200 miles away from here now, but that's not really the point. Funny thing was she actually said "The Magnum PI sofa", I know I only ever mentioned that to her once in passing. It was great talking with her again. It brought back so many memories as we'd been very close back in the 80s and 90s. She's truly a great and classy lady. I'm so happy I decided to look her up, and call.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, N1095A...sounds like you hit the Magnum jackpot! How nice it is that you reconnected with family!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mike, I'm glad you were able to reconnect with her. Family is the most important thing in my life. I'm sure she enjoyed talking to you, and it is a nice little bonus that you can claim a Magnum couch and chair.

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

I really don't have any aspirations of going back to Pennsylvania for the sofa and chair. I was just suprised she still had them. I remember as a kid thinking it was so cool she had the same furniture. I also noticed in the blog photo that TM indeed did have the chair as well. I don't know how I missed that. Although I probably knew it and forgot. Funny thing, this sofa was used on "The Golden Girls" as well. I think the pattern on the fabric was the same, but the wood trim wasn't there. My Aunt's is identical to TM's. I'm going to go through our photo albums (the ones that survived the move) to see if any pictures have the sofa and chair in them. If I find any, I'll of course post them.

Photo from Rick Romer's blog:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Would that make a great idea for one of he many home makeover shows on. A show wherein someone has their basement done up as a replica of the guest house, complete with a mini fridge stocked with Coops!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Wouldn't it be fun to get the one from the show and check for spare change...or cigars...or rubber chicken heads beneath the cushions!

:o
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Steve wrote:Would that make a great idea for one of he many home makeover shows on. A show wherein someone has their basement done up as a replica of the guest house, complete with a mini fridge stocked with Coops!
That sounds like a great idea! Maybe they can renovate an old beach house.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#8 Post by Tom_Magnum »

N1095A, you are one lucky guy. I wish I were in your position, with your Magnum coach and chair. If you had an apartment that looked sorta like the penthouse with a mini fridge and old TV set, you'd be Magnum for sure!

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

Well, again, It's in my aunt's storage unit 1200 miles away from me. I suppose one day if I ever get back there I may pick it up, but for now I don't actually have it. Pity she has it stored away, I'd have liked to had her check for labels. I know at one time I knew the brand name, but that info has disappeared into history.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#10 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Well, at least she still has it. It's not like some people who would just simply give up all their old junk away. But ya, you should pick it up some day

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Congrats on your family "reunion!" Your story gave me a :D .

Frodoleader, you may be on to something here--how about a TV makeover show that gives you a room from your favorite TV show--Magnum's guesthouse, Frasier's living room, a Brady Bunch bedroom. The possibilities are endless and very amusing!