Genesis

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Genesis

#1 Post by N1095A »

I've been a longtime Genesis fan. I was introduced to them from hearing Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight", and "I Don't Care Anymore" on Miami Vice. I quickly learned there was a whole other side to Phil, and started collecting Genesis albums around 1984. Later by coincidence I started dating a girl who was a few years older than I was, and she was a major fan of old Genesis. Through her, I was introduced to such great, and I feel quintesential songs as Squonk, Behind The Lines, Carpet Crawlers, Firth Of Fifth, Etc.
I always liked Phil's singing better than Peter Gabriel, but I am one of those who appreciates both older and newer Genesis. To me this one (Squonk) is kind of a signature song. That opening while fairly simple, never fails to give me chills. You can imagine how I felt upon hearing of TS's fondness of Genesis, and including their music in MPI. Two great tastes that taste great together :lol: .
Anyway, I know it's way off topic, but I thought I'd post the video for your enjoyment. It's a live version I'd never heard before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnpeoAKuuI
"The Squonk is a mythical creature of a very retiring disposition and due to its ugliness, weeps constantly. It is easy prey for hunters who simply follow a tear-stained trail. When cornered it will dissolve itself into tears."

And then there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0jJcCqVqg
One that's become the theme to my life.

And for those who appreciate the Magnum PI tie-in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hne5B6nBKhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vm4NkGkIjg
Enjoy!
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Genesis was big when I was in high school. A buddy of mine absoutley loved them. I think using Mama in the Death and Taxes episode was a stroke of genius!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mike,

I've been a big Genesis fan for a long time, too. I tend to prefer the Gabriel-era, but I enjoy almost all of their stuff. It's funny, I remember hating Invisible Touch when it came out (mostly because I was more into New Wave and Metal at the time), but now I really like it. It's a pop masterpiece! Abacab is still my favorite album, followed closely by Selling England by the Pound and Nursery Cryme. I still hate We Can't Dance, however. ;)

When they did their reunion tour in 2007 (still kicking myself for not making it a point to see that show), they also re-released/re-mastered all of their back catalog, bundled with lots of extras (live performances, tv performances, interviews, etc.). I would love to get that someday.
N1095A wrote:TS's fondness of Genesis, and including their music in MPI.
I hadn't heard this before. Cool! :)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: I think using Mama in the Death and Taxes episode was a stroke of genius!
Absolutely!!!!That sequence brought the series into an entirely new level for me. Tom Selleck did not utter one sentence, but said more in his facial expressions than many actors do during a soliloquy........Funny how over the years, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel have morphed into the same looking person....LOL!

N1095A

#5 Post by N1095A »

James,
I remember hearing an interview with TS back in the day. The use of music from original artists was being discussed, and it was mentioned that MPI was reflecting the trend set by Miami Vice, Stingray, and others. TS was quoted as saying that he wanted the songs in the show because he liked Genesis, but he didn't appear on camera.
I've never seen Genesis live, but I saw Phil a couple of times in the 90s. He played the Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State in 97. He walked down the asile right past me and high fived me as he was heading toward the stage. The band was already on stage opening with "Hand In Hand". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfgY5kSXaA
I had tickets to the Genesis "We Can't Dance" show in Philadelphia in '93, but at the last minute my girlfriend couldn't go, so I sold my tickets. If I'd have only known that would be their last album (with Phil), and last tour until 2007, I'd have gone anyway. Still kicking myself for that. It would have been worth it just to see Daryl Stuermer's guitar solo on Firth of Fifth.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Operation Chessboard »

[quote="Steve"][quote="IKnowWhatYoureThinking"] I think using [i]Mama[/i] in the [i]Death and Taxes[/i] episode was a stroke of genius![/quote]

Absolutely!!!!That sequence brought the series into an entirely new level for me. Tom Selleck did not utter one sentence, but said more in his facial expressions than many actors do during a soliloquy........Funny how over the years, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel have morphed into the same looking person....LOL![/quote]

I'm a huge Genesis fan, also. Both the Gabriel and Collins eras. I saw Gabriel perform on TV a few years back and was shocked at how different he looked since the last time I saw him perform, which had to be in the early nineties. He really does look more like Phil Collins than Peter Gabriel, at least the Gabriel that I remember from not long ago.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Operation Chessboard wrote:
Steve wrote:
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: I think using Mama in the Death and Taxes episode was a stroke of genius!
Absolutely!!!!That sequence brought the series into an entirely new level for me. Tom Selleck did not utter one sentence, but said more in his facial expressions than many actors do during a soliloquy........Funny how over the years, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel have morphed into the same looking person....LOL!
Do you think maybe they have morphed into the same person? lol

I'm a huge Genesis fan, also. Both the Gabriel and Collins eras. I saw Gabriel perform on TV a few years back and was shocked at how different he looked since the last time I saw him perform, which had to be in the early nineties. He really does look more like Phil Collins than Peter Gabriel, at least the Gabriel that I remember from not long ago.

N1095A

#8 Post by N1095A »

Nah, Phil's still much shorter :lol: