Whatcha Reading?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#61 Post by golfmobile »

Well, I just finished a couple of David Baldacci books, which author I've been going through. I watched a made-for-TV movie over the weekend, "Too Rich: The Story of Doris Duke," with Lauren Bacall, and I knew nothing about this lady, whose built the estate Shangri-La on Oahu, now a museum of Islamic art, in the Black Point area (Google it and Google Earth it -- and I just found out that we can't visit it while we're there, as it's closed in September! :cry: and she had a torrid affair [and possibly a child, a daughter who died shortly after birth] for years on her visits to Hawaii with Duke Kahanamoku, the Hawaiian guy who virtually introduced surfing to the rest of the world, plus winning numerous gold and silvers medals in the Olympics from 1912-32 --Google him too). But that got me interested in her, so I got a biography of her out of the library tonight, along with Julie Andrews' memoir of her early life; and one of my favorite kooky authors, Carl Hiaasen, has a new book out, but it's non-fiction about his taking up the game of golf again after years of not playing, so since I play golf, not well, I thought it would be entertaining to read.

So that's what's on my plate for the next couple of weeks, some good air-time reading while I'm flying to Hawaii, right?
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#62 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Now that football season is here I don't think I'll ever finish my book! I had a game last night and one tonight. They were both moved up due to concerns about weather from the hurricanes/tropical storms.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Coops »

Finished "Deke!" last week and started Eric Clapton's autobiography.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Coops »

Finished "Clapton" on the 13th, started Sgt. Don Malarkey's "Easy Company Soldier" later that day and finished it on the 16th. I am now out of reading material.

Carmen
MPI

#65 Post by Carmen »

I am now out of reading material
Don`t you hate that, when there`s nothing new to read?!
I read "Night passage" (the first Jesse Stone novel) during our vacation. Now I read 5 of them and NP def. is the best.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#66 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey Coops, did you make through Ike ok? I take it you have power?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Coops »

Yeah, we're ok here, better than a lot of people. My wife wanted to head east to help her grandparents, which was a good idea at the time as they may have well passed away if we hadn't have gone that way but I was against it. I'm glad she changed my mind. Next time, if there is one, we're heading back west like we did with Rita in '05

As for reading material...I just may go out here in a bit and get something. I decided to read Band Of Brothers, yet AGAIN, but I need something new.

It's amazing to me how well the British write. Clapton and Andy Summers both write very, very well. I really enjoyed both autobiographies.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#68 Post by SelleckLover »

Right now I am reading The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. I would highly recommend this for anyone living in a country that is free! Dang! This is heavy stuff. :shock:

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Miss Q »

Wow, we certainly read a variety of different types of books. I just finished James Patteron "Sail" and Sandra Brown "Smoke Screen".

I am anxiously awaiting the new Patterson next month featuring the Alex Cross character in "Cross Country"
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#70 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have a hard time reading with football season here. I am usually busy six days a week with that. By the middle of November things will slow down and I can read a little more.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#71 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Did you find and acquire the Charles Knief books about the Hawaiian ex-SEAL P.I. that kudubuck recommended? I did, and I've read three of them, just starting on the fourth.

These are pretty good action/P.I. books. What makes me a little sad when reading them is that this book character is everything TSM should have been -- particularly as an ex-SEAL. And he's VERY responsible in terms of friendship and debts of honor and otherwise. He really makes TSM look like an immature, spoiled little boy -- how did he ever get through SEAL training? Now, I know, it's just a show and it was written for effect and to be light and entertaining for the most part. But it is a big contrast and a comparision whereby TSM comes up with the really short stick.

Has anyone else read them?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#72 Post by Carmen »

Right now I am reading R.B. Parker`s "Trouble in Paradise". He wrote this one in 1998, the story is kind of pre-Stone Cold. Funny note:

Jesse Stone is talking to Marcy Campbell (she wasn`t in the movies I think, in the books Stone was only a short time together with Abby Taylor, and dated Marcy after her)
"Wouldn`t you think" Marcy said, "with all that money and all that time on their hands, nobody works, that these women could manage to look better than they do?"
"Well it`s not like they all married Tom Selleck", Jesse said.
"I suppose," Marcy.....
:lol:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Miss Q »

Carmen,

I remember reading that passage and couldnt stop laughing....

Apparently RP wrote the Stone character with TS in mind and I think this was his subtle way of acknowledging him....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#74 Post by golfmobile »

Well, the irony here is that apparently Tom Selleck's wife SHOULD be working so she shouldn't have that much spare time! If he needs money so badly, put the "little woman" to work too.

I read that book before TS was tapped to be Jesse Stone, so it had no relevance to me at the time I read it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."