Tom Selleck westerns

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Tom Selleck westerns

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

A short while back, my wife purchased a three-pack of TS westerns from Wal Mart for $5. They included "Monte Walsh", "Crossfire Trail" and "Last Stand at Saber River".
Well last night I finally got around to watching the first film, "Monte Walsh". What a great movie!! It has a great mix of comedy and sadness. And I have to tell you, TS is becoming one of my favorite cowboy actors, up there with John Wayne and Ben Johnson. Can't wait to watch the other two movies!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#2 Post by Agatha »

Monte Walsh is a great movie...like a pseudo-documentary about the vanishing lifestyle of the American cowboy!

If you find that you like Crossfire Trail and Last Stand at Sabre River...which are more like "real" westerns... your next purchase/flix could be any of the Sackett movies. There's an original series...which would be good to see in order...and then there's Shadow Riders, which is like all the Sackett movies rolled into one. Ben Johnson is in both the series and Shadow Riders.

And then, of course, there's Quigley Down Under...an American cowboy in Australia!!

It's fun to hear someone discovering the many facets of our Tom!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

Wasn't the Sacketts like a six-hour mini-series back when it originally aired? I remember we had it videotaped and watched the entire mini-series in one sitting! It must have been before we had kids!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#4 Post by Agatha »

I don't know...when I ordered it from Netflix, it came in two discs. Each of them were about movie length. So I guess they could have been "cut up" into a mini-series. Fun to see how REALLY YOUNG Tom was in The Sacketts. Even younger than Shadow Riders, it seemed to me...although they would have had to be made pretty close together, wouldn't they?

I don't know...much about anything except that I LOVE to watch Tom Selleck!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

Monte Walsh is a very good film. It was his last western before playing Jesse Stone, and both characters have a certain sadness about them. (Both also share scenes with the great William Devane. :) )

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Watched Crossfire Trail last night. I liked it also, but not as much as Monte Walsh. It had a great cast of supporting actors: Wilford Brimley, Barry Corbin, Larry Sanderson ("Hi, my name is Larry. This is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl"), and Virginia Madsen. Mark Harmon (NCIS) plays the main bad guy. Brad Johnson is the hired gun brought in to kill our hero (TS). The director was Simon Wincur, who directed Lonesome Dove (Corbin and Sanderson were also in that series).
Like I said, it was good. It had a great climatic gunfight at the end. Akin to the OK Corral. The story is from a Louis L'Amour novel.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

In an interview in Cowboys and Indians Magazine TS states that he is a friend of the L'Amour family and knew Louis L'Amour personally.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#8 Post by Agatha »

I heard that too, SelleckLover. And that it was his friendship with Mr L'Amour that caused Mrs L'Amour to allow the movies to be made after her husband died. She trusted Tom to "do right by them".

I'm thinking he has that same type of relationship with Robert Parker which is why the Jesse Stone movies are happeneing.

Another indication of what we already know. Mr Tom Selleck is a class act!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

I agree that Monte Walsh is a gem. What a supporting cast that Frodleader already listed. Makes me think I have to go out a buy the DVD as I haven't seen it since it first aired........

PhatCat
Admiral

#10 Post by PhatCat »

Just added Monte Walsh to my netflix que.

Thanks. I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here.

:D

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

Bought them 3 westerns some time ago and I like 'Crossfire trail' best. I even startet to read L`Amour books. Maybe I try 'Monte Walsh' too, on Amazon it`s said to be one of the best books about cowboys lifestyle.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

I think I'll go out on a limb here and say that TS does some of his best acting in Monte Walsh. I like him equally as well in this as I do in QDU. He just really makes me believe that he is Monte Walsh. Again, this a great example of his great acting chops! Flawless performance!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#13 Post by Agatha »

I agree, SelleckLover, although I had problems with Monte Walsh because it really felt like a documentary of the cowboys' vanishing lifestyle...made me sad.

So my favorite is still Quigley! Although I REALLY like An Innocent Man, too! Was surprised since I'd never even heard of it the first time I rented it...

Good to hear from you!!

PhatCat
Admiral

#14 Post by PhatCat »

I must say Monte Walsh was just ok for me. Not terrible but not great either.

More like a "meh" than anything.

I guess I'm more of a fan of Lonesome Dove.

Monte Walsh seemed too cliched and a bit low-budget for my tastes.

Pretty good acting by all the characters though.

I maybe went into it with too high of expectations.

Bill

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by lutherhgillis »

I hate to be the wet blanket here but I did not love the Selleck westerns. I love westerns (good ones) but his were a little dry for me. Quigley was pretty good, Monte was interesting but predictable, and the others were just so so... I enjoy Selleck most times but the westerns did not do it for me.

I think Jesse Stone is his second best work ever. Las Vegas would be the first...just kidding...MPI is of course is the best!
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?