The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#91 Post by SelleckLover »

I remember the series, but didn't remember it being as bad as the author of that article seems to think it was. I didn't really care what it was about, I was just glad to see him back on network television since at that time we didn't have cable! :D

eegorr
Vice Admiral

Re: sitcom "The Closer"???

#92 Post by eegorr »

golfmobile wrote:Does anyone remember this sitcom with TS? I do, VERY vaguely -- though I wouldn't have remembered it if something else I was searching for on the 'net hadn't mentioned it, but I swear I don't recall seeing a single episode. However, this is a very interesting review of it at:

The Closer Review
I don't remember it, either, but it looks like it had a decent cast: The Closer (IMDB)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Frodoleader »

I don't recall it either. I certainly would have watched it if I knew of it. It must have came & went very quickly.

eeyore
Admiral

#94 Post by eeyore »

I remember watching it and was disappopinted they canceled it so quickly. It WAS kind of a snoozer, but of course I was watching it to see my Babe, TS!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

The Conan Show with the Magnum costume

#95 Post by golfmobile »

I found a posting of the video of the second part of the Conan show when John Stamos is the main person being interviewed and he says that his bellybutton looks like a nose, TS suggests putting the Magnum moustache on JS' tummy, etc. It's not quite as funny as I was expecting, though it is certainly entertaining, especially TS' goofy, high-pitched laugh at the end. You can viewi it here:

Tom Selleck and John Stamos on Conan

In addition, I found a transcript of when TS was on Larry King Live back in 2000 when he was on the show to talk about his TNT movie, "Running Mates." It has some straaaaaaange interchanges between the two, but it seems to be fairly literal. a true transcript of exactly what was said, not "cleaned up" -- a lot of stumbling around in finishing sentences, the way one really talks -- still, I found it a quite interesting read:

Tom Selleck on Larry King Live Transcript

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#96 Post by SelleckLover »

Hey, golf....thanks for the Larry King link....I missed that interview because we didn't have cable in the year 2000. I agree with you that it was quite an interesting read! I was surprised he talked about the whole Rosie O'Donnell debacle....makes you wonder what Rosie was thinking...ambushing him on the air like that! I thought he handled it quite well, I probably would have walked off the show if I was him...but, as usual, our Tom Terrific is a class act all the way! For someone that really hit the gene pool jackpot, he is, what seems to me, very articulate, unpretentious, and down-to-earth in a "regular guy" kind of way.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#97 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks for the links golf!

Whoa, Tom Selleck's son, Kevin Shepard, was in the rock band Tonic!!? I did not know that! I have their debut album Lemon Parade (1996). I remember seeing the name "Kevin Shepard", but at the time I didn't realize he was Selleck's son! If You Could Only See is one of the best rock songs of the 90s, IMHO.

KING: "Magnum PI" certainly had a touch of irony.

SELLECK: As much as we could find. And absolute silliness at times...

Amen to that! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

layne
Vice Admiral

#98 Post by layne »

Primetime Emmy Nominations just came out this morning. Tom Selleck got nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie for Sea Change. The Emmy's will air this September. Go Tom!

SelleckLover

#99 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks for the heads up layne! Our Tom Terrific scores again! Sweet!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#100 Post by golfmobile »

Don't ban me from the site, but to be honest, IN MY OPINION, this year, both Robert Duval in "Broken Trail" and Matthew Perry in "The Ron Clark Story" were better than our idol in "Sea Change." He's good, we love him, but this isn't the role or the story worthy of an Emmy. I thought "Stone Cold" was better anyway. His guest shots on "Boston Legal" were better (he won for his guest shots on "Friends") -- and he didn't even get nominated for them.

JMO!!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#101 Post by SelleckLover »

Golf, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, and it's probably good that you do express your opinion here to keep us "Tom-Selleck-can-do-no-wrong" people in line. :D LOL

layne
Vice Admiral

#102 Post by layne »

OMG Golf...you bum me out! :cry: But actually I do agree with you about Robert Duvall's performance. He will probably win, but I am still happy to see Tom being nominated. He at least deserved to be in the race. It's good to see that he is still highly respected as an actor.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#103 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks, "guys"!

I think it's quite worthwhile noting that I'm pleased that he is still getting acknowledged by the awards "agencies" in Hollywood. I know he won the Emmy for his role in "Friends," and I think it says a lot that shows such as that and "Boston Legal" still want him for guest shots. But I also think his guest shots on BL were better than the Friends ones. He was brilliant on BL and I just loved his willingness to be the butt of his own jokey actions.

You guys are right -- he can do anything! And I think the nomination was a politically correct way to acknowledge his successful "return" to a lead role on TV with the 3 previous Jesse Stone movies, his guest spots on BL, AND his being asked to take a role on Las Vegas.

So I'll still watch him read a phone book -- but I won't expect him to win an Emmy for it! :lol: :D

golf
"Portside, buddy."

layne
Vice Admiral

#104 Post by layne »

golfmobile wrote: So I'll still watch him read a phone book -- but I won't expect him to win an Emmy for it! :lol: :D

golf
Haha! Depends on what he was wearing while reading the phone book! :D

But really, I also loved Tom in Boston Legal. That has to be one of my favorites and I thought he should have had a nom for that as well. He has great comedic timing and I loved his story line with Candice. I had really hoped he would have become a regular on Boston Legal. I never really felt they finished his story line properly, did you? Anyway, Tom really is a jack-of-all-trades doing both comedy and drama exceptionally well.

SelleckLover

#105 Post by SelleckLover »

TS actually won his Emmy for Magnum....not for his stint on Friends. But he should have won for Friends, and Boston Legal too, I think.

And BTW, I'd watch him read ANYTHING, even if he was wearing MC Hammer pants and had a mullet! :lol: