The John Hillerman Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#91 Post by N1095A »

DanielFrazão wrote:Does anybody knows how's John Hillerman today? He must be pretty old... I never saw a picture of him nowadays... Is he in good health?
Mr Hillerman would be 76 today. Rumors about his health have been circulating for some time now. Of course he is a VERY private man, and rumors about poor health may or may not be true. I suspect that we haven't heard from him in a few years because he's firmly retired, and likes his privacy. I can respect that. I hope he's in fantastic health.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

DanielFrazão
Lieutenant

#92 Post by DanielFrazão »

I totally agree with you. He deserves a wonderful retirement and a wonderful health. He's a great actor, really great, and he seems to be a very sensitive man, with strong values, not the "hollywood type" at all. He seems to me like a man who wants to be with his family, in a nice house, with warm feelings and beloved friends... not parties and celebrity stuff at all!

N1095A

#93 Post by N1095A »

DanielFrazão wrote:I totally agree with you. He deserves a wonderful retirement and a wonderful health. He's a great actor, really great, and he seems to be a very sensitive man, with strong values, not the "hollywood type" at all. He seems to me like a man who wants to be with his family, in a nice house, with warm feelings and beloved friends... not parties and celebrity stuff at all!
I think being an actor has been very good to him over the years, and he's more than happy to have put that behind him, and live a quiet private life. I've been reading the articles James has in the "Print Media" section, and it just seems that's the way he would like it. I've had his address for some time now. As much as I'd like to send him a short note of thanks for all the great years of entertainment, I feel the best thanks and most respectful thing I could do is leave him alone.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Steve »

Sadly, I tend to think that he is in ill health, perhaps even (shudder) Alheimers. It never made sense to me that he would end his career with a Brady Bunch Movie and I found it strange that he wouldn't appear at the recent TV Land Awards Show. I hope I am wrong, but why would he shun the public eye after being such an accomplished actor for so long and especially a role that thrust him into the spotlight and won him awards.......

gmt16750
Captain

#95 Post by gmt16750 »

Strangely i don't remember Tom Selleck talking about Hillerman when he picked up the price for best legendary tv serie (or something like that) accompagnied by TC and Rick.
Am i wrong?
Long live Hillerman! and in the best health!
Magnum p,i movie can only be ghastly when perfection was performed by those two actors thirty years sooner. :!:
I still enjoy the show but i must admit that in thinking over those days are irretrievably past makes me feel sadly wistful.
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#96 Post by DarCA »

I believe TS mentioned Hillerman saying Higgins was a hero in a different war.

gmt16750
Captain

#97 Post by gmt16750 »

it seemed strange to me he wouldn't have talked about hillerman.
Thanks for precision DarCa
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Buck
Captain

#98 Post by Buck »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:True! I don't see how anyone could see a Magnum movie and not think the series is even better. Also, and I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post, it may even create some new Magnum fans from a younger generation.
They need to make the movie with the original cast. If Hillerman doesn't want to be in the movie, they can still have Higgins in the movie the same way they had Robin Masters on the show. Did anyone expect Higgins to live at Robins Nest forever?

Hillerman played the part of Higgins perfectly. If Hillerman doesn't want to be in the movie, or can not be in the movie, then I don't want to see someone else playing Higgins. Only Hillerman can play Higgins the way we love. They can still have him on the phone, that would work without having a different actor play Higgins.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#99 Post by ConchRepublican »

Buck wrote:
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:True! I don't see how anyone could see a Magnum movie and not think the series is even better. Also, and I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post, it may even create some new Magnum fans from a younger generation.
They need to make the movie with the original cast. If Hillerman doesn't want to be in the movie, they can still have Higgins in the movie the same way they had Robin Masters on the show. Did anyone expect Higgins to live at Robins Nest forever?

Hillerman played the part of Higgins perfectly. If Hillerman doesn't want to be in the movie, or can not be in the movie, then I don't want to see someone else playing Higgins. Only Hillerman can play Higgins the way we love. They can still have him on the phone, that would work without having a different actor play Higgins.
. . . and then they can have someone Higgins personally chose to take over for him at the estate as the way to work in a new/different Major Domo.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Buck
Captain

#100 Post by Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Buck wrote:

. . . and then they can have someone Higgins personally chose to take over for him at the estate as the way to work in a new/different Major Domo.
. . . and wouldn't it be something if the new majordomo was Magnum. LOL! Can you see an older Magnum taking on responsibility more like Higgins.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Buck wrote:. . . and wouldn't it be something if the new majordomo was Magnum. LOL! Can you see an older Magnum taking on responsibility more like Higgins.
It would be season eight's (much under-rated) 'Pleasure Principle' all over again! :lol:

Seriously though, I understand Hillerman to be a private man. As other have said, he's had his time acting, and now is enjoying his retirement.

If he is in bad health, as some reports suggest, I hope he is getting the care he deserves.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by MACattack »

I was thinking about Hillerman's british accent as Higgins, and how superb it was. I've been watching MPI lately, and I could notice a slight twang underneath Higgy's Anglo accent. Only a fan with a mind like a P.I. could trace the real Texan voice underneath Higgins' brogue. This was something I never noticed as a child when the series was fresh on TV.
I just don't give a damn!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Little Garwood »

N1095A wrote:Mr Hillerman would be 76 today. Rumors about his health have been circulating for some time now. Of course he is a VERY private man, and rumors about poor health may or may not be true. I suspect that we haven't heard from him in a few years because he's firmly retired, and likes his privacy. I can respect that. I hope he's in fantastic health.
When I first learned that John Hillerman was retired, I imagined him living in regal splendor in Hawaii, such was the attraction for having worked in the islands for so long. I understand he resides in his native Texas. Jack Lord of Hawaii Five-O lived in Hawaii as a kind of honored citizen and so I thought it would be fitting that JH would be, too. Anyway, JH's retirement and desire for privacy reminds me of both the aforementioned Jack Lord as well as TV stalwart and icon Pernell Roberts, who's been quietly retired in Malibu since 1997. Roberts is another one who values his privacy and avoids the spotlight.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Carmen
MPI

#104 Post by Carmen »

Ever seen this? http://www.youtube.com/user/phoenixfilm ... 6v6davnidU
Wonder when it was made...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A

#105 Post by N1095A »

Here's a nice picture I found online of John Hillerman, and Jeff MacKay.
It looks like Hillerman signed it for MacKay, but I can't make out what he wrote.