The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

layne
Vice Admiral

#76 Post by layne »

Thanks for the magazine pics eegorr. I hadn't seen recent pictures of Tom's daughter Hannah. She is beautiful. I can't believe how much his wife and daughter look alike.

Sellecklover-Do you have a copy of that magazine? If so, is there an interview with Tom and Hannah? It looks like there are pictures of his ranch also. I was just wondering if there is a good interview with anything new you could tell us included in the magazine.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#77 Post by IslandHopper »

We need to add John Travolta (Welcome Back Kotter) and Morgan Freeman (Zoom) to the list of TV actors who are still prominent in movies today.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#78 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, that's amazing how much Hannah looks like her mom, Jillie Mack! What a beautiful family they are.

Robin Williams and John Travolta. Can't believe I forgot those guys, too. That makes about 5 or 6 guys, without a doubt, that are equal or above Selleck.
golfmobile wrote:And I thought it was very interesting that he pointed out that he's about the only actor who was a "star" 20 years ago -- and still is!
golf, he really said this?! When? Where?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#79 Post by golfmobile »

IslandHopper,

Wonderful! HOW could we forget John Travolta, especially since everyone thought he was such a joke for so long and never thought he'd make a comeback.

JJW, I thought that was what I remembered that he said in the Biography show. I'll go back and look at it again and see what his exact quote was. Maybe I misunderstood and he said he was surprised he was still working this much 20 years later after being so inextricably linked to Magnum -- since we proved there are so many who made the transition from little to big screen and are still working 20 years later.

Will report back.

At least, this sure has been a fun post to follow along with.

As for the report on Hannah's activities, I wish I knew more about the show jumping venue, as I don't understand all the classes that were listed in eegorr's post. I saw Hannah's name there only once as I skimmed through it, and she was sixth in that class. I confess that my experience with show jumping is watching on the Grand Prix (really high and really BIG jumps) on ESPN, which I love (as I used to have a horse who was 16 hands 2 inches and I loved training him to jump and then jumping with him). The only other name I recognized in eegorr's listing was Hap Hansen, who had competed in the GP shows I have seen, and I was surprised to see him in that listing because I thought he was higher up the chain than that show might have been, but then the Hap Hansen name was there a lot! When I used to watch this a lot, that was when Michael Matz (trainer of Barbero, you might recall) was competing. If Hannah Selleck is pursuing it to get into THAT company -- well, then we know why Dad is always talking about money! I think this is a VERY expensive sport to finance if you don't have sponsors. And I think most of the top riders aren't riding their own horses, so if Tom is going to finance owning the horse and supporting the rider, he's spending big bucks. I wonder if Hannah is thinking trying to make it for the Olympics. If so, then Dad is going to have to spend more big bucks to get her a horse (and the training) to do dressage, cross country, and jumping. But wouldn't it be fun to see her in the Olympics?

Fortunately, for the beautiful Hannah, she got some lankiness from Mom but not quite the angular face. Jillie Mack is probably a wonderful person, but she just isn't very pretty. Hannah got enough Tom in her to soften and round the face a bit, it seems. So, yes, she is gorgeous -- a good mix of two sets of genes, I guess. I wonder, though, why they didn't have more kids -- but that's probably too personal a question.

golf

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#80 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, here's what he said: "My career started in people's minds in 1980. Very few people are working at that level 20 years later."

So. . . . he was slightly mistaken.

golf

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#81 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Okay, here's what he said: "My career started in people's minds in 1980. Very few people are working at that level 20 years later."

So. . . . he was slightly mistaken.

golf
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Actually, I would say he was correct, and not mistaken at all. I would say 5 or 6 people, or even 7 or 8, would be considered "very few". In any event, I'm just glad he didn't say he was the "only one". ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#82 Post by Shermy »

Yeah, I'd say he wasn't that far off. When you look at the list compiled here, very few of them were actually big stars in 1980. TS was probably thinking of people that were considered his peers/competition at the time.

Then again, it's also possible to interpret his quote as being more general. It is very rare that stars- especially those in tv- are still regarded as stars 20 years later. It's even more rare, considering that TS didn't continue to milk the series after it ended. Most tv stars that maintain their status, usually only do so by continuing to play the same familiar role.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#83 Post by golfmobile »

Shermy,

VERY good point! Most of the others we have mentioned were NOT as big as TS was with Magnum in the 1980s. For example:

Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies" was cancelled after two seasons.

Bruce Willis in "Moonlighting" ran only five (1985-1990).

John Travolta was NOT the lead in "Welcome Back, Kotter."

Robin Williams was only an unknown "guest star" on "Happy Days," and "Mork and Mindy" ran only four seasons.

Etc., etc.

Plus, none of them have come back to TV -- be it as guest stars on a currently highly rating series ("Friends," "Boston Legal") nor made highly rated cable movies (TS' Westerns).

So he really is in a very small minority of where his career has taken him and how it still continues to evolve.

GO, TOM!

golf

layne
Vice Admiral

#84 Post by layne »

It says alot that in the past year TS has worked for all three of the big networks. Boston Legal on ABC, Jesse Stone on CBS and now Las Vegas on NBC. This coming season, he will be getting paychecks from 2 networks at the same time with Jesse Stone and Las Vegas. Goes to show he still has it! The networks know if Tom is in it, people will watch.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#85 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:John Travolta was NOT the lead in "Welcome Back, Kotter."
Travolta's probably the only one I would regard as a big star, since he did hit the trifecta with Saturday Night Fever, Grease, and Urban Cowboy. But his career quickly went downhill until 1989's Look Who's Talking. (And even then, it wasn't until Pulp Fiction that he really became a bankable star again.)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

On another note

#86 Post by golfmobile »

Has anyone here actually SEEN "Daughters of Satan"? Is it as dreadful as it sounds? Though I'm sure TS was fine . . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#87 Post by SelleckLover »

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOM-SELLECK-FAMILY- ... dZViewItem

Click on the above link to see a picture up on eBay of TS and his father, two brothers and sister circa 1993. His brother Robert, to the far right, is a former pitcher for the Dodgers. It looks as though his two brothers tower over him, and he actually looks short next to them! (I'm sure we all know that TS is 6'4") I rather like the fact that he's blowing a bubble and making a face for the photographer!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#88 Post by Shermy »

SelleckLover wrote:It looks as though his two brothers tower over him, and he actually looks short next to them!
He has always joked that he's the shortest of his siblings, and therefore never really felt tall while growing up!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

sitcom "The Closer"???

#89 Post by golfmobile »

Does anyone remember this sitcom with TS? I do, VERY vaguely -- though I wouldn't have remembered it if something else I was searching for on the 'net hadn't mentioned it, but I swear I don't recall seeing a single episode. However, this is a very interesting review of it at:

The Closer Review

I love the last line of the review about "Magnum Reunion"! :lol: :wink: :D

Thoughts?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#90 Post by IslandHopper »

Ouch. That review was brutal. :cry: I have never even heard of that sitcom. I guess it wasn't aired for very long. Thanks for posting that Golf.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)