The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#211 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you Doc. The thought of TS on a so-called "reality" show IS really depressing. I don't think TS would feel the need to do one though. I think he's concerned about his image too much. He seems to be much classier than that to me.

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#212 Post by Kahunagirl »

Not quite as macho as the NFL, but a small feature on TS is in the current Good Housekeeping magazine. The subtitle leads me to think the author (and editor?) may not be quite as familiar with Magnum as all of us are (badge?!?) ...

Man of the House: Tom Selleck
"Magnum P.I." may have hung up his badge, but the man who brought him to life carries on.

By Kate Coyne

Not since Clark Gable has one mustache meant so much to so many women. And while his facial hair has grayed a bit, Tom Selleck, 63, remains essentially the same: still married to actress Jillie Mack (for 20 years and counting), and still a star of the TV screen. That’s where he seems most at home, from his career-making title role as Magnum, P.I., to his guest turn on Friends, to his latest gig on the hit show Las Vegas; he also stars in the Jesse Stone series of made-for-TV movies. The biggest change for the couple is their new status as empty nesters, now that their only child, Hannah, 19, is off to college. Says the devoted dad: “It’s still a bit of a shock, but we’re getting used to it.”

Q: Can you tell us the secret to your successful marriage?

Hopefully you marry someone who you not only love, but who you like as well. I just still enjoy my wife’s company enormously. She’s hilariously funny, and we make a point, no matter how busy we are, to stop and spend time together. We make sure we sit down and enjoy a nice long dinner.

Q: What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

Well, this is going to sound terribly unromantic, but the thing is, Jillie and I just aren’t that sentimental. We don’t like to emphasize one day of the year. We try to celebrate the fact that this is a daily commitment, and pay attention to each other every day. I promise I’m not just saying that so I can get out of giving her a gift.

Q: Has your relationship with your daughter changed since she left for school?

We’ve always had a very strong bond, because luckily, I was spared most of the adolescent drama in our house. My wife and daughter tended to butt heads more, whereas I just got a lot of eye rolling. When the two of them would clash, I would sort of recede into the background. These days, we still see a lot of her, because she continues to be a very accomplished equestrian, and we travel around to attend her competitions. In that world, I’m not the celebrity, she is.

Q: Are you helpful around the house?

I cannot claim to be a good housekeeper — sorry about that! — but I do try to pick up after myself. We live a fairly comfortable lifestyle, though it’s not as formal as some lavish houses are; we’re all OK with a little bit of clutter.

Q: How do you like to unwind?

I live on a 63-acre avocado ranch. So I like to get outside and work on the farm, from fixing roads to clearing brush. I hate going to the gym, so sweating outdoors sure beats sitting on a stationary bike staring at my navel. And I work cheaper than anyone I could hire to do it.

Q: Do you have any thoughts about the proposed Magnum, P.I. movie starring Matthew McConaughey?

Oh, I’d heard it was going to be George Clooney. Regardless of who they hire, assuming it’s not me, I think a lot of Magnum fans will be very upset. And I’ll be glad to hear it.

Kahunagirl

SelleckLover

#213 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks for posting that Kahunagirl. I'll have to go pick up a copy of Good Housekeeping for my collection!

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#214 Post by Kahunagirl »

For a good chuckle, check out this article:

http://www.pe.com/columns/jeffgirod/sto ... a3126.html

Kahunagirl

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#215 Post by Danno »

Kahunagirl wrote: Q: Do you have any thoughts about the proposed Magnum, P.I. movie starring Matthew McConaughey?

Oh, I’d heard it was going to be George Clooney. Regardless of who they hire, assuming it’s not me, I think a lot of Magnum fans will be very upset. And I’ll be glad to hear it.

Kahunagirl
Is this saying that TS will be glad to hear that fans will be upset it's not him returning to the role? I thought he'd been quoted as saying that will definately not be returning... it sounds like now he'd like to do it?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#216 Post by Steve »

As far as I know, Tom has only stated that he wouldn't do one of those silly walk-on cameo's that some stars do when they turn their series into a movie. He seems to still be leaving the door open that he is available if the Producers would come to their senses and go with the orginal cast. The fans have stated over and over that is what they want and he is correct in stating they will be upset with anyone other than him as Thomas Magnum.

Steve
Chicago

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#217 Post by Steve »

Is anyone out there still watching Tom on Las Vegas? Last nights
episode had the the young studs Danny and Mike in a two on two
Basketball tournament, being the "skins" throughout their play.Poor Tom
was reduced to sitting on the sidelines, offering advice, and at one
point slyly telling them that he "played a little Basketball in
College". I kept thinking if it was twenty years ago, that would have
been TS out there playing, and looking better than either two of them
did (in play and in shorts). I kept hoping that the last shot would be
of Tom picking up the ball, and doing a layup with the camera shot
looking down from above the basket.They really need to start being a
bit more creative with the Cooper character and not just relying on him
being a mysterious, very dry but wise Billionaire in a gosh awfull
black suit, where little tidbits about his past are occasionally let
out and then pretty much dropped in the story line.

Steve
Chicago

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#218 Post by IslandHopper »

Steve wrote:Is anyone out there still watching Tom on Las Vegas? Last nights
episode had the the young studs Danny and Mike in a two on two
Basketball tournament, being the "skins" throughout their play.Poor Tom
was reduced to sitting on the sidelines, offering advice, and at one
point slyly telling them that he "played a little Basketball in
College". I kept thinking if it was twenty years ago, that would have
been TS out there playing, and looking better than either two of them
did (in play and in shorts). I kept hoping that the last shot would be
of Tom picking up the ball, and doing a layup with the camera shot
looking down from above the basket.They really need to start being a
bit more creative with the Cooper character and not just relying on him
being a mysterious, very dry but wise Billionaire in a gosh awfull
black suit, where little tidbits about his past are occasionally let
out and then pretty much dropped in the story line.

Steve
Chicago
Although I missed the episode last night, I still watch Las Vegas. I actually like that show. Some of the characters are a bit annoying, but other than that, I think it's pretty good. Coincidentally, I just recently watched and posted something about the "Basket Case" episode where Magnum and TC show off their hoops skills. That was 24 years ago. :shock: Actually, tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of that episode. Where does the time go?

You probably already know this (and maybe don't care), but if you miss an episode of Las Vegas, you can got to nbc.com and watch full length episodes.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#219 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

I watched it and was thinking THE EXACT SAME THING. However, I disagree that he necessarily looked better than the two LV guys. I'm sorry, but TS was never that sculpted, muscle-wise, in my opinion (no Bow-flex back then . . . .). Not that he COULDN'T have been, but that wasn't the "style" in the early 1980s. One was in "shape" and TS certainly was, but only "Ahnuld" looked like a body-builder Mr. America in the early 1980s, and people made fun of him. In MPI, I think TC was actually more buff than TS. TS just wasn't the stereotypical "broad shoulders, narrow hips." TS's body was fine, but his physical appeal, to me, was his face -- his smile, his goofy laugh, the dimples, the whole package of personality, not the body (though I did/do like the hairy chest . . . .)

Remember, JMO.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#220 Post by SelleckLover »

I have to respectfully disagree with all you "Las Vegas" lovers...sadly, I think it is one of the worst shows on TV, although it is a step or two above the so-called "reality" shows. I am usually so bored when I watch it, I end up falling asleep half way through it. (I am excluding the episode that Larry Manetti and Roger Moseley were in.) Yet, I still watch it and will continue to, because it is so nice to have our TS back on episodic television again. Now, if they could just get him on a horse and wearing a cowboy hat more often, it would improve the show immensely in my opinion! (LOL) Just thought I'd share.... :D

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

#221 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

Speaking of this week's episode of Las Vegas, did anyone notice that Danny was wearing a "Magnum P.I." t-shirt during one of their basketball games. It can clearly be seen as he is stretching on the ground.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#222 Post by golfmobile »

And here's how it showed up:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#223 Post by Steve »

What a great find!!!!!! I can't beleive I didn't catch that when I was watching Friday night, but then again I didn't catch it when Larry Manetti was weraing the team ring either.........

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover

#224 Post by SelleckLover »

Awesome! What a nice tribute to the show! I'm sad to say I missed the first few minutes so I didn't catch that either. :x

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#225 Post by grapeshot »

Wow, I missed it, too.

Is it just me, or is Vegas getting better? Perhaps I've gotten sensitized to the show. I started off watching it solely because of Mr. Selleck's presence, and was continually rolling my eyes at the stupid stories. Now I can't tell if my wits are addled, or if the show has gotten marginally better. Mind you, it's still no MPI, and I get a little tired of Cooper always having some sort of "invisible hand" that makes everything turn out okay in the end, but I'm not rolling my eyes at it so much anymore.