For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Sex symbol now?

#1 Post by golfmobile »

OMG!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/sl ... k#slide=11

I disagree. Compare to the "rough and tumble" guys of today, such as all those "stars" playing in the comic books movies (none of which have I seen and very few of which would I even know who they are or even what they look like -- well, maybe Robert Downey, Jr., as Ironman). But, still . . . . I certainly see TS holding his own in any "White House Down" type movie. Use the TS now who looked like he did then???? They missed the mark on this one. JMO!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Sex symbol now?

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

They are so far off base they don't even know where the ballpark is!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK, Time for some Doc rage.

Who the blankety blank wrote this list? Some ridiculous Millenial with no sense of history?

(Pardon to any millenials on the boards, as I'm making a sweeping generalization)

Compared to who? Kristin Stewart. Any (anagram haole) on the Jersey Shore? Bieber? I could go on and on. Times were different back in the day.

To start with the dudes:

I mean, they called him "Magnum PI". Listen Chet, that's Tom "Blanking" Selleck, use his real name like everyone else. Frank Sinatra is "goofy looking"?!!! You'd better thank your lucky stars he's been gone for a few years because Frank would knock the taste out of your mouth if you had the stones to say it to his face.

Beatles not sex symbols today? You get any yahoo one direction blankety blank band up there and women are going crazy. Get a band with talent like the Beatles and its unstoppable. Mick Jagger? Even in the 60s he was pretty weird looking but women STILL threw themselves at him. David Bowie is the godfather of every emo person out there.

And that's just the guys. Women seemed to get a pass.. but Jane Fonda still looks pretty good. And Twiggy, with all the scary thin women being put out there today would be a shoe in today. Loni Anderson for being Loni Anderson? C'mon, son. Lynda Carter (who is very attractive) gets a pass because she's Wonder Woman?

I mean.. Seriously. Whatever a$$hat wrote/compiled/contributed to this should be taken behind a shed and slapped upside the head.

What a maroon.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Here-here! :magnum:

(still say we need a Higgins smiley!)

Couldn't agree more Doc...
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:OK, Time for some Doc rage.

Who the blankety blank wrote this list? Some ridiculous Millenial with no sense of history?

(Pardon to any millenials on the boards, as I'm making a sweeping generalization)

Compared to who? Kristin Stewart. Any (anagram haole) on the Jersey Shore? Bieber? I could go on and on. Times were different back in the day.

To start with the dudes:

I mean, they called him "Magnum PI". Listen Chet, that's Tom "Blanking" Selleck, use his real name like everyone else. Frank Sinatra is "goofy looking"?!!! You'd better thank your lucky stars he's been gone for a few years because Frank would knock the taste out of your mouth if you had the stones to say it to his face.

Beatles not sex symbols today? You get any yahoo one direction blankety blank band up there and women are going crazy. Get a band with talent like the Beatles and its unstoppable. Mick Jagger? Even in the 60s he was pretty weird looking but women STILL threw themselves at him. David Bowie is the godfather of every emo person out there.

And that's just the guys. Women seemed to get a pass.. but Jane Fonda still looks pretty good. And Twiggy, with all the scary thin women being put out there today would be a shoe in today. Loni Anderson for being Loni Anderson? C'mon, son. Lynda Carter (who is very attractive) gets a pass because she's Wonder Woman?

I mean.. Seriously. Whatever a$$hat wrote/compiled/contributed to this should be taken behind a shed and slapped upside the head.

What a maroon.
Heh, heh . . . Doc's all worked up. Awesome . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumILWU »

I would just say, all you have to do is watch interviews, appearance's on certain talk shows, etc., many with younger hosts. And watch their reaction when Tom Selleck comes on. It speaks volumes!
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Kind of like comparing apples to oranges isn't it? Everything is completely different when comparing today to "yore": clothing styles, hair styles, music, how they were filmed or photographed. It's unfair to the "yore", really. They take somebody like disco-era Rod Stewart, pluck him into 2013, and then say, "wearing what looks like roadkill on your head is just not hot in 2013." Well, of course it isn't! It's not 1978! You take a Justin Bieber (or whoever is hot these days) and throw him in some leopard print pants with a satin jacket and some goofy boots and I guarantee you he wouldn't be "hot" today. ;)

Also, they seem to have conveniently left out all the slam dunk picks: Ursula Andress, Ann-Margret, Brigitte Bardot, etc. And really, no Bay City Rollers on that list? C'mon! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

It's from Fox News. That should be enough to discourage anyone from reading it.
You may as well read the scratchings on the wall of a public toilet.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Dave Anderson »

Danno wrote:It's from Fox News. That should be enough to discourage anyone from reading it.
You may as well read the scratchings on the wall of a public toilet.
Is this comment appropriate? How is Fox News any more biased than any other news source? They are all biased. One little network with an alleged bias toward the right is a problem but all the other networks with biases the other way are legitimate news sources?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

"Thomas Magnum, is more likely to remind today's youth of their embarrassing dads than a sex symbol." I still have a mustache and wear hawaiian shirts in the warm months but I always felt it was one of my duties as a father to embarrass my teenage son :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#11 Post by marlboro »

Right wing, left wing, - the media sucks. With all the things going on in the world they can't find anything to write about than this? The major news networks are like TMZ - except they don't work half as hard to actually investigate stories.

Turkey
Admiral

#12 Post by Turkey »

The writer of that article is a turkey, straight up (just not this particular Turkey, is all)
Make it two weeks.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote:"Thomas Magnum, is more likely to remind today's youth of their embarrassing dads than a sex symbol." I still have a mustache and wear hawaiian shirts in the warm months but I always felt it was one of my duties as a father to embarrass my teenage son :D
That's funny right thar! :lol:

Well put Steve!

Although, I think if you polled the 50-60 something female fans, TS is probably still "up there" on the "desirable" list to most of them.

Anybody else see the short interview with him on Letterman last night (12/5/14)? Never even mentioned Magnum, at least not while I was watching. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:
Anybody else see the short interview with him on Letterman last night (12/5/14)? Never even mentioned Magnum, at least not while I was watching. :magnum:

I did catch that Friday night, saw the entire interview as it was only one segment and I thought it was down there as one of the worst interviews with TS. I think it might have been a rerun as they reference the GQ article Tom is featured in. He also mentioned his brothers are 6'7" tall real estate moguls, Tom played for USC during the Lew Alcindor/Kareem years and was tasked to be Kareem during practice.
Oh, and he has a 1000% shooting percentage as he took two shots in two years and made them both! :D