Tom Selleck on Blue Bloods TV Series

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I don't understand why the depressing or dour character has to fit the actual man," for me it does not to any degree. I personally just can't handle the scenes and general mood I saw conveyed on Bluebloods.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by AmandaByNight »

Braddah Kimo wrote:"I don't understand why the depressing or dour character has to fit the actual man," for me it does not to any degree. I personally just can't handle the scenes and general mood I saw conveyed on Bluebloods.
I don't think I was referring to any statement you made. I'm not saying anyone has to like Blue Bloods, but Sisophus (sp?) made a comment that the actor might be this way in real life instead of just say, oh I don't know, acting.

Spread you acting wings, Tom! That's all I'm saying. If you choose to watch that's great, if you don't, that's great too. It's all personal taste. I just think we should remember it's acting and not real life.

Btw, I was talking to my husband about this and we thought about how Leslie Neilson was constantly in dramas and then did nothing but comedy. Sometimes we switch gears at different stages... I find it refreshing.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Leslie nielsen was great. Very dramatic turn in Hawaii 5-0 as a land baron.
as for Selleck in a role, that is the character. In real life of course, he is amiable and jovial. at least in all the talk show interviews I have seen. In real life when I saw him at Ralph Lauren shop in the Hills of beverly, we traded glances and he didn't seem sour and dour...

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Lily »

Since Jesse Stone movies commenced in 2005 and the Blue Bloods
series in 2010, it can only be a coincidence TS plays two characters who are so alike.

Sadly though, tonight I read that CBS will not be picking up a ninth Jesse Stone movie but that is not to say some other network won't. Really hope so as I would love to see the Jesse Stone character lighten up a little and come through his bad times. Some years down the road, with the right promotion, one can almost envision Jesse being much like a Francis Reagan!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Sisophous »

Braddah Kimo wrote:I really tried to give blueBloods a chance. But every time I happen upon it while channel surfing, I get a silent scene with Selleck, chin on chest, brooding. Or a somber quiet scene of him gazing out a window onto a hella big ugly city, and he is again, brooding with a big concerned frown. Long drawn out scenes that result in a channel switch cuz nuthin happens except a camera pan around a big frowning man. No thanks.
I could not have described Tom Selleck (his character) better and feel the same way. As for NYC, I live just north of it, a native of NY, and could not disagree more about it being an ugly city. Manhattan is nothing like it was back in the 70s. They cleaned it up and drove the riff raff out. It's too expensive for most to live there but a great place to visit.

Buck
Captain

#21 Post by Buck »

I like Blue Bloods. I do not watch Blue Bloods for TS, I watch it because it is a good dramatic police show. Donnie Whalberg is the star of the show anyways. There is a lot of good action and good drama. TS is in charge of the police force, so he would be more serious. We started to see a little of this side of TS in season 8 of Magnum.

Blue Bloods needs to be watched from the start of each episode. It is not a show you can channel switch into 15 minutes late and get everything.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Seaver41 »

it's pretty good.......have seen all episodes and truth be told there isn't much substance that strings the episodes together. They have already solved the underlying mystery of who killed his son from the series start......now it's just a typical police procedural drama.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Braddah Kimo »

" As for NYC, I live just north of it, a native of NY, and could not disagree more about it being an ugly city." That was not a dogmatic definition. It is all perspective and context. It is purdy to you, cool. Not contesting that. Not debating anyone's personal taste. Having been raised here in the islands, for the most part, Lanikai, Kailua, La'ie, Haleiwa, etc... any city (mainland, west coast and esp.) east coast, is easily labelled by a goodly number of us, as a big ugly city. Understand, a city to us, would be Honolulu in the 60's/70's. Everything else, it follows, would be defined as "a big ugly city". No need take things personally. All apologies if you did not.