No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#196 Post by No need to know! »

Onion´s extra?

mandolabar
Captain

At Long Last Love

#197 Post by mandolabar »

Hi--I'm new to the site, great to find you all!

I found a youtube posting of a scene with John Hillerman and Eileen Brennan, singing a Cole Porter song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TIquf6qH4

I couldn't pass that up...I hunted around and found it's from "At Long Last Love," from 1975. Which seems to be very hard to find, but I did...so for those who are interested, you can download it from extafilm (http://www.extafilm.com/). For a modest fee :roll:

(or for those who know where it can be found in better quality, please share...)

At any rate--the movie didn't get great ratings, but I for one found it delightful. Fluffy romantic comedy, and Mr. Hillerman's delivery is superb. Warning: the songs are catchy, you'll end up humming them...

~Amanda

JT
Captain

#198 Post by JT »

Hi mandolabar, welcome to Magnum Mania.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

Louise
Captain

#199 Post by Louise »

The film "Hands of a Murderer" was shown on TV last night (in the UK) in which John Hillerman played Dr Watson to Edward Woodward's Sherlock Holmes. I was going to stay up and watch the whole thing, but it didn't finish till 1am and, to be honest, the film wasn't very good so I only watched the first twenty minutes or so (sorry John :oops:)

John was doing his British accent so it was a bit like watching Higgins's great grandfather! :)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#200 Post by N1095A »

Louise wrote:The film "Hands of a Murderer" was shown on TV last night (in the UK) in which John Hillerman played Dr Watson to Edward Woodward's Sherlock Holmes. I was going to stay up and watch the whole thing, but it didn't finish till 1am and, to be honest, the film wasn't very good so I only watched the first twenty minutes or so (sorry John :oops:)

John was doing his British accent so it was a bit like watching Higgins's great grandfather! :)
I wonder if that film was the inspiration for "Holmes Is Where The Heart Is"?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

mandolabar
Captain

#201 Post by mandolabar »

Happy 79th to the multitalented John Hillerman! Here's hoping he's having a wonderful, laid-back day, staying inside from the (finally!) rain!

~Amanda
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Brant
Ensign

The mobility picture was removed from the site

#202 Post by Brant »

Sam wrote:Here is a picture of Hillerman that was posted about two weeks ago..

http://www.mobilityplustx.com/

Tick on Blog.

Now only available here.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#203 Post by Sam »

Hi Brant..welcome aboard.It was a good thing JJ saved it because it was removed six months later.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#204 Post by Little Garwood »

Sam wrote:Hi Brant..welcome aboard.It was a good thing JJ saved it because it was removed six months later.
I thought everyone here must have saved a copy; I did!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Brant
Ensign

#205 Post by Brant »

Like many of you I have been a fan since seeing Magnum aired in the 80s. If not for the general belief that John is extremely private and does not want to be disturbed, I would make the 10 hour round trip this weekend just to shake his hand. For me Hillerman really puts the show over the top and I agree with others that without him it wouldn't have had near the same level of success. I have almost finished watching Ellery Queen as well - available on DVD from Netflix if you are interested.

It is really my hope that John is surrounded by a strong group of close friends; that his need for privacy hasn't led to a lonely life. And I do wish he would write his memoirs, or at least some short articles (blog) so we could keep up with him. I always thought he would be a great audio book narrator - like Edward Herrman.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and are already enjoying a good new year. Thanks for the welcome Sam!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#206 Post by J.J. Walters »

Greetings Brant! Welcome! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Brant
Ensign

#207 Post by Brant »

Thanks JJ!
I used to spend time on the David Roma's site but then got busy for a while and lost track. Went looking for MPI info recently and this seems like the place to be. Lots of fantastic information here.

It's funny because it started with watching a Christmas episode recently. Now I've watched all of season 1 again and started on season 2, all of which leads me back here.

Glad I found you!

mandolabar
Captain

#208 Post by mandolabar »

I just watched "Hands of a Murderer" this afternoon with the family, and I was expecting it to be truly awful, given the comments I've seen here. But while it's not the greatest movie I've ever seen, it wasn't *that* bad. The acting seemed to be well done, if the story was a bit telegraphed. My biggest problem with it was that after the newest Robert Downey, Jr., Holmes movie, Mycroft will for me forever and always be Stephen Fry, so I kept getting distracted. But John Hillerman did well with Watson, I thought.

I'm probably biased. Just a teensy. :wink:

~Amanda
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#209 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just noticed this short clip of John Hillerman telling a classic Winston Churchill joke. Not sure what program this is from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... A1WFqnvi4k
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#210 Post by ThomasMagnum »

This might have been posted already but here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9blfc9c2uFU