Kathleen Lloyd in "Harry-O"

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Kathleen Lloyd in "Harry-O"

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

Here's one of our own MPI recurring characters, "Kathy" Lloyd during her stint on the 1974-76 ABC detective show, HARRY-O, which starred the legendary David Janssen. Kathleen's looking quite youthful here. Her name comes up at around the 40 second mark.

This is a show I'd only seen once (the episode entitled "Lester") about five years ago on TV Land. I sure hope there's some kind of DVD release, as HARRY-O is quite good. Does anyone remember it?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by AmandaByNight »

Harry-O was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I watched it along with Streets of San Francisco, cuz at 6 I must have been an intense kid! I don't know why I liked those shows so much, but I just did. I too hope Harry-O gets a DVD release. I'd love to re-visit it.

I just saw Kathleen on a re-run of Murder, She Wrote. And she's on a Trapper John I taped off American Life. She's an interesting actress. She's got a lot of energy. Sometimes Carol was SO frustrating (and that was the point!), and she was so good in the part!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Two more Harry-O fans!

I'm actually a little too young to have watched it originally, but a local station ran it late at night and I watched it as a teenager in the late '80's. David Janssen was fantastic and the voice overs he did were incredible. Dare I even say, I think the voice over material was better than Magnum!

I haven't seen an episode since the TV Land reruns several years back and before that, the '80's!. I think I've forgotten more than I remember. It's too bad so few know of it, and without a DVD release few will get a chance to experience it. I would buy the DVD set in a heartbeat. Let's hope it happens.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

I'd never heard of the show until I read an extensive article in a now-defunct magazine called Television Chronicles * back in 1997. I knew I'd like it, me being a detective junkie and all. I associate Janssen with this rather than The Fugitive. I was three when HARRY-O began, so I was too young to appreciate it then, as well. With Warner Brothers' DVD on Demand program, perhaps we can get HARRY-O out on DVD.

It's been pointed out that HARRY-O shares a few similarities with another of its contemporaries, THE ROCKFORD FILES. Both shows premiered during the 1974-75 season, both shows starred TV icons, both of their characters lived simply and both lived near the beach.

Harry-O was the more thoughtful show, at least in its first season, and Rockford was the more comedic program. Too bad an icon of David Janssen's stature didn't have another huge hit after The Fugitive. Also, the suits at ABC, the acronym of which was "All But Cancelled", damaged the show during its second season with the emphasis on car chases and shootouts.

Here's that pic of Kathleen Lloyd:

*which also did a piece on Magnum, P.I.; I've been meaning to scan it and send it to James.

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

Oh my god, my good friend Donovan published Television Chronicles. I only have one issue -- the Magnum issue! I met him years later, he is the owner of a HUGE video store in LA called Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee. I should say, his father owns it, but Donovan is always there! He's been credited on some films as well, because he helps with props or research.

That was a cool magazine!

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood,

Is the screen cap above from the Lester episode you mentioned? I don't remember that one. I think she was also in the first pilot episode Such Dust as Dreams are Made On as a drug addict, if I remember correctly. It also starred a young Martin Sheen, Sal Mineo as a dealer, and Will Geer from the Waltons. Boy, I'd love to see this show again.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu:

No, it's not from "Lester", so it must be from one of the three episodes for which she's credited. In this case, I believe it to be either "Elegy for a Cop" or "Silent Kill" since the youtube uploader states that the intro is from the second half of season one. Lloyd's not listed as a regular, so was she a different character for each appearance?

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

That intro was from Silent Kill.James Wainwright (Lyden from MPI episode Past Tense) was also shown

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0597137/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, great picture of Kathleen Lloyd! She's so young. I've never seen Harry O. Would love to check it out sometime.
Little Garwood wrote:*which also did a piece on Magnum, P.I.; I've been meaning to scan it and send it to James.
Please do! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

She's apparently credited as Kathleen Gackle (ugh) in the pilot episode I remember.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

I don't remember having ever seen Harry-O, but I'd like to.

However, a few weeks ago I happened to watch an episode of Marcus Welby, M.D. in which Kathleen Lloyd had a guest starring role. IMDB credits her as being in three episodes, and the one I saw was A Fragile Possession which aired in September of 1972. I didn't catch the beginning of the episode, but she seemed to be a young nurse or other hospital worker, probably supposed to be just out of high school. She was a friend of another young woman around the same age who was faced with the decision of whether or not to get an abortion. In one scene Kathleen was wearing a bikini, but she also had a loose shirt on, defeating in large part the whole purpose of a bikini. :( For this episode she was credited as Kathy Lloyd.