Cigars

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

bells
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cigars

#1 Post by bells »

I am a cigar smoker as Tom is and always wondered what kind of cigars Robin kept in the humidor for Magnum to bum. Does anyone know what kind of cigars Tom actually smoked when he stole and lit up on the show?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Bells, I am a huge cigar smoker myself and have posted a fwe topics about Selleck and cigars. I am not sure what type of cigars the prop department used as they didn'et have bands. The only banded cigars I saw were in Resolutions. Those could pass for Montecristos but I didn't get a great look at them. Also, I know there are several episodes where he lights up!

I know while the show aired Tom liked Cohiba Robustos, Montecristo #2's, Davidoff Special R's, and La Gloria Cubana Wavell's. Now his favorites are Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robustos and Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Stories. I am partial to the Fuentes, La Gloria's, and Monties myself as I think they are all good smokes. If you are going to buy the La Glorias get the ones made in Miami not the Dominican Republic. The Miami one's are a little better and come with a tripple cap.

One more thing. Welcome aboard!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Cigars

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

bells wrote:I am a cigar smoker as Tom is and always wondered what kind of cigars Robin kept in the humidor for Magnum to bum. Does anyone know what kind of cigars Tom actually smoked when he stole and lit up on the show?
As IKWYT said there are no bands on the cigars in Higgins' humidor, but I do remember one episode where Higgins, I believe, is on the phone with Magnum and yells at Magnum for smoking his "hand made Canary Island cigars." It may have been "The Elmo Ziller Story," but not sure. I have never had a Canary Island cigar, but they evidentially have quite a storied history.

One of the things I've always wondered about Higgins' cigars is: how does Higgins keep his cigars fresh in his small humidor/box? He keeps his unwrapped cigars in his small humidor. I have experimented with several different types of similar humidors, and have had difficulty keeping the cigars fresh/moist even with cigars still in their individual wrappers. I have now abandoned my humidors completely and just buy two or three cigars at a time.

My favorite cigars are Carlos Torano (1959 Exodus) Silver Edition Robusto and Churchill; Montecristo No. 2; Almost any Arturo Fuente; H. Upmann Monarch; and Sancho Panza (which are consistently rated 91 to 93 by Cigar Aficionado).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I remember the episode where he mentions the Canary Island cigars as well. I don't think I have had one from there, but I have heard they aren't the best cigars. It looks like his humidor is about a 25 count box. I think it would be relatively easy to maintain the humidity, but I may be wrong. All of my humidors are much larger, and they are really easy to maintain humidity. If you like Carlos Torano try the Exodus 1959. I think it is one of the better smokes for the price on the market.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#5 Post by Lt. Cook »

I found a good article on Canary Island cigars linked below. Apparently they were highly regarded and popular in Europe. From the article, it sounds like just the cigar Higgy would keep around. This just increases my admiration for the little details of the shaw.
my favorites: Casa Torano, Monte #2

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA ... 31,00.html

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Good article. I wouldn't ind trying some of their cigars with Cuban tobacco. There are just so many good cigars out there today that the choices are endless. It is a great time to be a cigar smoker!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

In TS's 1995 Cigar Aficionado magazine interview he states that his favorite cigar is the Montecristo #2.

bells
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by bells »

The cigar thing is just one of many things that make the show so special to me. I prefer 5 Vagas "A", CAO Blacks, Perdomo Champagne, and Indian Tobac Super Furtes. Would love to share a cigar and a Coops with Tom at the Elks Lodge.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

He mentioned the Monte #2, La Gloria Cubana Wavell, Cohiba Robusto, and Davidoff Special Series. In his most recent interview, a few issues ago, he mentions the Auruto Fuente Don Carlos Robusto and the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. I like most of the cigars he mentions and the Hemingway are a go to for me. If anyone wants to try a cigar light up a Hemingway SHort Story. It doesn't take very long to smoke, and it has a tase that both the novice and aficionado can appreciate. The Don Carlos is a little more complex, and I would recommend smoking a while before trying one (same with the Monte #2).

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Also, one other note about that recent issue with Selleck. It has a picture of the cast with their names and whome they played. They called Roger Mosley T.C. Calvin. I thought it was hilarous, but I guess an easy mistake to those that don't follow the show.
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaybird
Admiral

#11 Post by Jaybird »

Since you guys like cigars, too, I thought I'd pass this along. Very good smokes @ great prices. This is a family business started by a Cuban ex-pat.
http://www.cardenascigars.com/

Icepick
Admiral

#12 Post by Icepick »

So is it impossible to get Cuban cigars in the US? And are Cuban cigars the preferred cigar in the world? The Cuban cigar shops all stay in business up here in Vancouver from US tourists coming off cruise ships but how can they bring them back?
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by wwmd »

Usually I think the U.S. tourists just remove the bands from the cigars in order to move through customs, and then they have the option of replacing the bands afterwards. I don't think you can take any box marked "Hecho en Cuba" though, so you'd have to leave that behind.

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MPS »

It never occured to me to take the bands off! Last time we went on a cruise, I was evil, and insisted my husband and son smoke all the Cuban cigars they bought before we even tried to clear customs.

This is from the woman, who in pre 9/11 days, flew to Hawaii with several (10 or 12) very large Mexican firecrackers in her purse. This was courtesy of the same son. :roll:
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Jaybird
Admiral

#15 Post by Jaybird »

Many cigars sold as "Cuban" are actually "hencho en Mexico." Same band, everything looks real until you smoke 'em and you wonder what everyone is raving about. Sort of like the fake Rolex watches.

In good Canadian shops you get the real thing, overpriced. Nothing is so sweet as forbidden fruit.

I doubt if 99.9 % of cigar smokers could I.D. a real Cuban in a blind taste test. The .1% who got it right might have guessed. I surely couldn't tell a good Cuban from other brands that have high quality smokes.