Robin's Nest from the air.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Coops »

Icepick, really nice photo there. Whenever I see that part of the estate I always think of TM sitting on the wall, drinking his beer with tears in his eyes at the beginning of "Mac's Back". For some reason that scene really gets me. TS is such an underrated actor.

His eyes say it all...
Last edited by Coops on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Lily »

Well from what I understood it was even way before that. At one time, royalty and chiefs were the only people who could consume turtle, hence this type of wall was built and any turtles found were placed within these walls. The wall at the estate has been reconstructed at one time or another.

With regard to the piece of concrete in the water, I cant see that this ties in with the wall, and can only perhaps be the remains of a boat ramp/dock.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Coops »

One of the highlights of the estate is the beautiful tidal pool, framed by a 500' by 50' stone wall (submerged at high tide, but visible at low tide). The enclosure is an ancient Hawaiian turtle pond known as Pahonu Pond (Pahonu means "turtle enclosure" in Hawaiian). The original purpose of the pond was to house captured sea turtles for an Ali'i (Chief) that favored sea turtle meat. Turtle meat was kapu (forbidden) to all but the chiefs under penalty of death. The turtle pond (and rock wall) was restored in the 1960's and was added to the Hawaii Historical Register in 1978. Because of the ancient turtle pond, the Anderson Estate is also often referred as "Pahonu", a name that can be found on a plaque by the front gate.
Sounds like it is very old. No telling how old.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Lily »

Ah Coops! You found exactly what I remembered...thank you! There must have been an original house along that stretch of property where the estate now stands? Wonder what it might have looked like and who owned it?

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by 308GTS »

Off topic but related, what about the Island Hoppers pier and office, is that still there?

Presumably this is just up the beach a way from the Anderson Estate because you can see the famous shot of the mountains with two peaks from TC's place and TM's place.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Steve »

It is indeed still there. The location was The Makai Resarch Pier
http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/7678639
A good way to find Robin's Nest (The Anderson Estate) is when you are heading out of Waikiki when you see the Pier, The Estae is just up the road a little over a mile........

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Sam »

Hi 308GTS

As Steve already mentioned,yes the pier is still there.Here is a short clip from Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDV8y7TrPpU

The two peaks are actually three peaks called The Olomana Ridge.