You know you're an icon when ...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

You know you're an icon when ...

#1 Post by Kahunagirl »

... you show up as a reference on The Family Guy cartoon. Don't know how many MM Forum folks watch this series -- I doubt I would if my 12-year old wasn't addicted to it. The humor is very pre-adolescent (which probably explains why my 50-year old husband also enjoys it immensely :P ), but it takes place in Rhode Island and being from New England, we do manage to get all the "in" jokes. It also contains tons of cross-references to and take-offs on modern culture -- Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Quantum Leap, and ... Magnum PI!

Here's a link to a YouTube video, which includes the Magnum/Tom Selleck scene. If you don't want to sit through it all, the important piece is from 1:57 to 2:13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaihW1dT ... re=related

Kahunagirl

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Yeah, my son loves that show. The other day we saw an episode that had a parody of MPI, which featured Magnum, TC and Higgins. Family-Guy-Magnum-slaps Higgins to the ground and calls him Tattoo (from Fantasy Island). :shock: Not funny. I think that link is on this site somewhere on another thread.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have seen that episode as well. TM says he is going to cruise the island in the Ferrari for chicks.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I have seen that episode as well. TM says he is going to cruise the island in the Ferrari for chicks.
There another one where peter is trying to feed Magnum through the TV, and then Higgins pops up and Peter says "no Higgins, stop trying to steal magnums food!"

Pretty funny.

The Higgins slapping one is somewhat amusing because you can tell that the creators of Family Guy are familiar with the show, but not THAT familiar.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

You know you are an icon when people spend their time talking about your seires 20+ years after it aired! :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:You know you are an icon when people spend their time talking about your seires 20+ years after it aired! :lol:
Touche!

Its not like there's a "Dukes Of Hazzard" forum out there.

I mean, what could you talk about?

The merits of Coy and Vance vs. Bo and Luke?

The history behind uncle Jesse and Boss Hogg?

Daisy Duke? (Well, yes you could, but moving on).

The great part about Magnum is that they had so many complex plots that still hold true today. You COULD do a Magnum right now and it wouldn't be passed off as 80s kitsch.

Of course it would be darker, grittier and more "extreme", because as everyone knows, thats what the people want!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree, Doc. The show had to be good to stand up as long as it has.

To me, Miami Vice was a cheap attempt to copy MPI. A-Team was also a pale copy. Both were decent shows but they were chasing the master...

I credit Bellasario, the actors, the writers, the location, the 'perfect storm' of circumstances surrounding the show, and peoples' facination with escapism.

Cheers,

Luther

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

Doc Ibold wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:You know you are an icon when people spend their time talking about your seires 20+ years after it aired! :lol:
Touche!

The great part about Magnum is that they had so many complex plots that still hold true today. You COULD do a Magnum right now and it wouldn't be passed off as 80s kitsch.

Of course it would be darker, grittier and more "extreme", because as everyone knows, thats what the people want!
Actually, Sadly, there are many Dukes of Hazzard forums out there.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

(Shudder)

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#10 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Touche!

The Merits of Coy and Vance. ha ha...classic.
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'