Would MPI have been successful ...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Would MPI have been successful without Hawaii, Ferrari, Actors, and Tom Selleck?

NO Way!
87%
Maybe
13%
Yes, but only marginally
No votes
Yes, it would have been better
No votes

Total votes: 15

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Would MPI have been successful ...

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

Would MPI have been successful w/o Tom, John, Roger, Larry, Hawaii, the Ferrari, the new optimism of the 80s ...etc?

Why or why not...

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

No way, what would it have been then??
Surely it would have been as successful without the Ferrari, on second thought - MPI in Chicago, with a Mazda, 60th style..... no, :shock:
*BEG*
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

I think with all the elements and timing of the show it turned out to be kind of the "perfect storm", if you will. I think it might have worked if things were slightly different, but it definitely had to have the Magnum/Higgins, juxtaposition type relationship. :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think SelleckLover is correct about the perfect storm theory. I think everything about the show made it what it is. Each actor cast was a perfect fit, the Ferrari was an exotic car that few could ever drive, and Hawaii was an ideal location versus another LA or NY show. If you take any of those away it isn't the same show and doesn't have the same appeal.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by VM02 »

I for one believe that the ferrari is overated as a show element. I am clearly in the minority in this belief. I think that the show would have worked without the Ferrari or the Hawaii location as well, so long as they had diffentiated it from the gamut of other cop shows in southern california.

Perhaps a setting like Washington DC or Boston would have worked?

My feeling is that it was the characters, as portrayed by the four specific actors, coupled with the willingness to address real issues -specifically Vietnam, in a realistic and positive manner that really made the show.

It would be a very different show if made today of course.

Which lends itself to another topic...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

VM02 wrote:My feeling is that it was the characters, as portrayed by the four specific actors, coupled with the willingness to address real issues -specifically Vietnam, in a realistic and positive manner that really made the show.
Excellent point! I believe what you have stated here is, without a doubt, the crux of the show. However, I do believe the Hawaii setting and the Ferrari were huge elements as well. I think it would've been successful without those two things but not as successful. I believe these two features added the element of fantasy. It was something most of us can't do (own a Ferrari, live in Hawaii) and offered an escape of the everyday life.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

For me, the show wouldn't have worked if it weren't in Hawaii. Among my least favorite episodes of the series are those that do not take place in Hawaii, and Oahu in particular. I love Hawaii. I can watch almost anything as long as it is filmed in Hawaii or about Hawaii. My favorite book...Hawaii, by James A. Michener. I even like the Elvis movies filmed in Hawaii, i.e. Blue Hawaii, Girls, Girls, Girls; and Paradise Hawaiian Style. My favorite Brady Bunch episode...you got it, when they went to Hawaii.

I have only been to Hawaii (Oahu) one time in my life and it's weird, because it felt like I had been there all of my life because I have seen so much of Hawaii on TV and movies it all seemed so familiar. It's like I had been there before.

I can't imagine the show working without the cast because we have grown to identify with them. That is why I won't see the motion picture without the original cast.

Although an awesome car, I think the Ferrari is the least important element of the show. They could have easily used any exotic sports car, or Magnum could have driven around in a beat up jeep and he would have made it work. I was only 14 when MPI began, so I don't remember seeing any Ferrari's before that time. So, as far as I'm concerned, MPI made the Ferrari popular (at least in the U.S.), not the other way around. I know Ferrari's have been around for a very long time, but remember, this was the perspective of a 14 year old kid, so no offense to anyone who grew up with Ferraris. I had heard or read somewhere that the producers originally wanted to use a Porsche, but Porsche would not make the necessary modifications, so they decided on the Ferrari 308GT. Anyway, great show, great cast and great car.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Lt. Cook
Commander

#8 Post by Lt. Cook »

No way would it work without TS and Hillerman. Different actors for Rick and TC may have turned out okay, as long as they were able to portray the same level of annoyance combined with loyalty with TM. I think Hawaii was key, although maybe another tropical area like the Florida Keys may have somewhat worked. I go back and forth on the car. The Ferrari definately added elements. It added glamour and a sense of Magnum's resistance to grow up. I do think another exotic car like a Lotus or 911 Carrera might have done it too.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

Didn't the original script call for Magnum, or I think he was to be called Lancer, to drive a Porsche, live In the LA area , be wealhty, handsome and almost flawless? Thank goodness TS held out for the changes to have Magnum be a "flawed" character. My opinion is it was the entire mix of the Ferrari, the Hawaiian location, Sellecks good looks and ability to make a Hawaiian shirt look sexy (I recall that before Magnum, Hawaiian shirts were considered a joke that your parents wore at pool parties looking geeky) the lads and most of all the chemistry between the cast the ability to let them grow into their roles. I only see that type of show happening on HBO recently..........

Steve
Chicago

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Without Selleck and Hawaii, I seriously doubt it. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 guys from the early 80s who *maybe* could have filled Selleck's shoes, and they were all busy with other projects.

The Higgins, T.C. and Rick characters were also obviously very important to the show's success, and really pushed the show from "good" to "great", but they could have been almost anything, played by almost anyone, and the show still probably would have been a "hit".

Selleck and Hawaii were the biggest draw for the majority of the "average" viewers. But thankfully, the show was much more than that. Much, much more.

The Ferrari could have been any "sweet" car, really. I personally would love to have seen TM driving around in a red late '60s Corvette convertible. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

I'm going with the "average viewer" mentioned by James. Selleck and Hawaii are essential for me.

Hawaii as the setting enhances the idea that the characters who are Vietnam vets are still dealing with their war experiences: trying to start over, escaping in a tropical paradise, living in the part of the U.S. with the most Asian influence to the culture, etc. Not only is the setting beautiful, it increases the depth of the characters.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Coops »

All good points. But IMHO the Ferrari was an icon, an exotic car in an exotic location. It was part of the glamour of Robin's Nest contrasted against Magnum's threadbare living. It was a bright red paradox that was as interesting as Magnum's relationship with his opposite in life, Higgins.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Here's my take on all of this:

Selleck as Magnum: Definite. Magnum was self effacing and not really a "supermen", not a lot of actors would have called for this change (aka the "Cutter" scenario). If Magnum were perfect, he would have been annoying.

Hawaii setting: Also definite. I mean, they could have cast this in NYC or LA, and it would just be another show. Hawaii, while exotic, is still believable in that things could be going down there, but you could still sit back and say "Yeah, that could happen". Plus, you get the Land/Air/Sea trifecta, in which Hawaii pretty much DEMANDS that you have to use all 3. So, not only do you get car chases, you also get aerial chases and the occaisional boat scene, so not one gets tired. (See car chases in Knight Rider, Air chases in Airwolf)

Hillerman/Manetti/Mosely: Know I'll get some disagreement, but also definite. There was a chemistry to the cast that just made it work. You don't have that chemistry, people are going to notice it. Almost seemed like you could believe these guys were friends off the air, which is what made the onscreen partnership work so well. now granted, the show could have been a huge hit without the three aforementioned actors, BUT, played by anyone else, I can't see Magnum going past 4 or 5 seasons. There were a lot of Magnum episodes out there that were so-so at best, but the interactions between the characters make it worthwhile to watch, so you forget how dumb the premise is and just enjoy the ride.

The Ferrari: To me, the icing on the cake, but not necessary. I think Magnum was riding the "early 80's TV needs a cool car" kick - see Dukes Of Hazzard, Knight Rider, A-Team, Miami Vice, Airwolf vein.

Secondary characters: (aka Agatha, Carol, Tanaka, Doc Ibold's bad self). Definitely needed. You can only do so much with 4 characters, or else it gets stale. For instance, Agatha shows the "normal" side of life in Hawaii, which leads you to think that there's not always "action" going on, but life goes on without the elements of the show. Always liked her because she was preoccupied with something else BEYOND the elements of the show.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by lutherhgillis »

I think Doc just summed it all up. I totally agree.