Which episode has the most unbelievable plot?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Which episode has the most unbelievable plot?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

The willing suspension of disbelief is a common requirement for most TV and movie viewing but sometimes the outlandish extent to which we must suspend is a little too much to take.

Which episode pushed you over the edge?
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

Thank heaven for little girls ...
Thicker than blood
From Moscow to Maui
One more summer
Did you see the sunrise
The big blow
Home from the sea
Under world
All for one
Solo flight
just to name a few, maybe I am looking at it too realistic, but I don`t mind it and like them anyway

and the winner is

Blood and honor
I just can`t believe the whole story
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

VM02
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by VM02 »

Legend of the Lost Art.

Still one of the best episodes IMHO though.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

As has been mentioned by quite a few folks on here, any episode wherein TM is tailing someone or doing surveillance while in a bright red Ferrari!!!! I mean, how many of those would you see on an Island the size of Oahu. Funny thing is, when I was in Waikiki in 1987, I do remember at least three places with red 328's or 308's with "Rent Me" signs in the windshield, so I guess if Magnum exsisted in a world with a show being filmed in Oahu where the hero drove a red Ferrari, it might be a more common sight....LOL

Steve
Chicago

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

I gotta go with Season One's "Missing in Action".

Let's see, we have an MIA ex-Covert Ops/Special Forces guy (Eric) who has erroneously "de-programmed" and is apparently so unstable/dangerous that his ex-unit leader (John W. Newton) is now trying to hunt him down and kill him! Eric's fiance Laura has been trying to find him for some time. When we meet her, she is singing the Dionne Warwick song "Deja Vu". She then promptly begins to have Deja Vu-like visions in her head and Eric is in danger! :shock: Come on now! Magnum agrees to help Laura find Eric. A short while later he spots Eric near the King Kamehameha Club ............. and starts shooting at him on a crowded beach! :shock: A bunch of other weird stuff happens (Magnum says he went to Vietnam on 7/15/1967 even though he was still at the Academy, Higgins performs hypnosis, T.C. talks to the camera, Laura has more weird visions in her head) and then at the end, Mr. Newton shoots Eric once and he falls in to the water. Instead of checking on Eric, Magnum starts to monologue at Mr. Newton. Laura doesn't appear to care either, as she also never checks on Eric. :shock: Poor Eric, he was really dealt a bad hand in life!

It's all just a bit too much! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

Although one of my favorite episodes, I ultimately would have to choose "Did You See The Sunrise"as the most unbelievable plot for two main reasons. First, TC is brainwashed and programmed by Colonel Ivan to become an assassin by taking drug-laced chewing gum. Second, After a decade of dormancy, The Russians want TC to assassinate the Japanese Prince by commandeering a Marine helicopter while in a Mercedes 450SL. The Japanese Prince? I'll will never buy this premise, because we are such strong allies with Japan, and Japan depends on the U.S. to protect it from the nuclear threat of China, North Korea and Russia/USSR. Talk about a waste of a tactical asset. What was the Soviets goal in trying to have TC kill the Prince? What did they expect would happen? Japan declaring war on the U.S.? I don't think so. Even if TC was successful, we could explain it away as the act of a lunatic, or an act of the Soviets, which it was. It would have been a little more believable if they made the target a leader of a nation we are not allies with, or at least a nation that is not so dependent on the U.S.

Honorable Mentions:

Black Orchid-A married woman paying some guy to play fantasy games?

Three Minus Two-only because of the "sole survivor" clause in the partnership agreement. Who would have such a contract?

Past Tense-Hijacking a helicopter to land in the middle of a prison compound surrounded by armed guards. Why would the other inmates create a diversion in the prison yard so that the guy could get away. What was in it for the other inmates except punishment, including longer prison sentences.

Tran Quoc Jones-Little kid wandering the streets of Honolulu selling various trinkets. Nobody questions this? Police, concerned citizens, etc. Then at the end, after risking their lives to help this kid find his father they just let him walk away. He's not hard to find. Go downtown to where he sells his goods.

All For One, Deja Vu, Mad Dogs and Englishmen and Legend of the Lost Art.

Even though some of the episodes require a certain level of suspension of disbelief, they are still great and fun to watch mainly because of the cast (Magnum, Higgins, TC, Rick, Mac, Agatha, Doc Ibold and Tanaka). That is why I believe the Magnum Motion Picture should star the original cast in their original roles.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Miss Q »

I vote for 'All for One'.... they were soooo out numbered at the last scene...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

"Smaller Than Life"

I mean, what the HECK?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Plus the Karate scenes were just ridiculous. Go ahead, watch them again, I can wait)

:wink:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Yes! You're right Doc. I wanted to pick that episode, but I couldn't remember the name of it! LOL! :D

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Coops »

I really can't recall any single plot but the one thing that I did find totally unbelievable was all of Higgins' half-brothers. His father was one hell of a 'baby daddy' for sure.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

I think the episode where Mac resurfaces as Jim Bonnick/Joe Travis/Neville Thompson or whatever other alias he may have used are totally bogus. It seemed to me like the actors could not really bring themselves to try to pull off the scenes. They must have felt the script was stupid too.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Coops wrote:I really can't recall any single plot but the one thing that I did find totally unbelievable was all of Higgins' half-brothers. His father was one hell of a 'baby daddy' for sure.
I kind of liked those ones, esp if you watch the pilot episode and the exchange between Dan's sister and Higgins about the stepfathers, mothers, etc on Magnums side, and then its revealed that HIGGINS has the convoluted past.

But Coops, you are right in that they are a bit unbelieveable (but are enjoying)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

Continuing with Doc's post, I also like the Higgins' deviated pedigree. It was useful to balance JQH's arrogance. And boy what a dose of half-siblings he had! I like the quote from "Who is Don Luis ..." where Magnum mentioned the elder Higgin's tours. JQH said, "...apparently he 'toured' everywhere" referring to the half-siblings from all over the world. Maybe the writers should have introduced us to Soo Ling and Katooba Noomba to round out the quintet.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

Oh yeah, James..

I'm going to wager a guess, but I believe Elizabeth Whitefeather to be Native American

(This post just reminded me that I needed to share that)

:lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by lutherhgillis »

Oh yea, how could I forget? There were six half-siblings:

Elmo Ziller, Father Patty McGuiness, Don Luis Mongueo, Elizabeth Whitefeather, Soo Ling, and Katooba Noomba.

Old man Higgins traveled everywhere!