If Season 8 had been 22 Episodes...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

If Season 8 had been 22 Episodes...

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

If Season 8 had been a full season with 22 episodes, what type of plots would you have like to have seen?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

Assuming that the series still would end with Resolutions, I would have liked to have seen a couple of episodes dealing with why Magnum would consider re-upping after all of the let downs over the seasons in dealing with The Navy and Col. Greene over the whole Michelle/Lilly story. Maybe a good showdown between Greene and TM, especially after Unfinished Business wherein Greene challenges Magnum to stop being a periperal character and get back in the saddle, do something and grow up. Also a well written episode with just Magnum and Higgins and coming to terms with their relationship over the years and where they may end up in life in the future..........

Steve
Chicago

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

I'll probably get kicked off the site for this, but I would have LOVED to have seen an undercover job where they ALL had to dress up in drag, a la "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar." If Patrick Swayze could make a good looking female . . . . . though would Magnum have shaved his moustache for that? It's not like it won't grow BACK, but wouldn't THAT have been a kicker for an episode??!!??

golf

Alternatively, could we just have had a female guest star who could actually act and who would appeal to all of us so Magnum could really fall in love with someone admirable, brave, loyal, fun, with a sense of humor, adventurous, a good sport -- now who could that be?
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by sophia »

Golfmobile
That made me laugh so hard. I don't think they would make it as girls.
One thing in season 8 I would have liked to see is Thomas and Carol finally realizing they both care for each other and should be together.
I always thought they should have been more than friends.
I think she would have made a great Mom for Lilly.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

I think I would have liked to know more about Joey Peterson...oops! I'm sorry! He's not to be spoken of again.... :D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

Steve wrote:Assuming that the series still would end with Resolutions, I would have liked to have seen a couple of episodes dealing with why Magnum would consider re-upping after all of the let downs over the seasons in dealing with The Navy and Col. Greene over the whole Michelle/Lilly story. Maybe a good showdown between Greene and TM, especially after Unfinished Business wherein Greene challenges Magnum to stop being a periperal character and get back in the saddle, do something and grow up. Also a well written episode with just Magnum and Higgins and coming to terms with their relationship over the years and where they may end up in life in the future..........

Steve
Chicago
It almost seemed to me that there was an episode or two missing, that TM's decision to go back to the Navy was out of character for him, and it came about too suddenly.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

I would have liked to see a few things:

1) More explanation of Rick/Cleo (I can accept it, just give a LITTLE more background on it)
2) In agreement with Steve, why Magnum decided to go back in the Navy
3) Another "Higgins relative" show
4) One more TC, Rick, Higgins "centric" episode (3 separate)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

Doc is on the same track as me. They should have developed Ric and Cleo, shown us why Magnum re-enlisted, allowed TC and Tina to get back together, did a little more with Higgins and his family ties, and resolve the coaching work that TC did with the kids for all those years. Maybe TC could have received an award or something.

Personally, I would have liked one more Luther episode. Maybe Luther would 'buy it' while tracking down Artie Canoe or something of the sort.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by VM02 »

I agree that TM re-upping in the USN was a shock, but wasn't that the point?

they could have set it up better of course --i.e. a visit from a still serving buddy - one who was not in trouble - and a long talk over old dusseldorfs would have been a nice foreshadow. Or maybe even a marine buddy of Joey's that is on vacation in Hawaii and looks TM up out of respect for his brother. Or They could have brought the series full circle by having Admiral Cook look up TM for old times sake.-- but then it would have not been the shock it was. (Maybe in retrospect its a good thing)

I for one think that the Grandpa moments in Resolutions could have been their own episode.

As others have mentioned it would have been nice if Rick & TC & Higgins would have had their closure a bit more fleshed out.

Nifty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Nifty »

It would have been a huge risk, probably impossible, and it's selfish to ask this, but I would have liked to see a followup series (even just 1 season) called "Magnum USN". Then tie in a plot line that encompasses all the characters and ties off all the questions from the PI series but runs the entire season.

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

I`m not picky - I would take whatever story one could think of. Boring, I know, but just to see Magnum watch his daughter growing up would do it for me
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)