What would you do if you owned the Anderson Estate?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

What would you do if you owned the Anderson Estate?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

Give a brief description of what you would do if you had the fortune of owning the Anderson Estate in Hawaii.

Have some fun with this.
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Thu May 15, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I would take advantage of the tidal pool much like TM does, and I would have to say that I would just enjoy myself thoroughly with my fortune.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

I would assume I would have enough money at my disposal to pickup a red 308 or 328 Ferrrari, hopefully one of the actual ones used in the show and park it in the driveway. I would fix up the place, especially the boat house, buy a dummy in the likeness of Magnum, hang a hammock on the porch of the boat house and set the dummy in it with a Detroit Tigers basbeall cap over the face. I would hang a sign on the fence to the Tidal Pool stating that the gate will be open on Friday's for about two hours so fans can come in and tour the Estate. My only clothes would now be shorts, blue jeans, hawaiian shirts and baseball caps. Oh, and my wife will be informed that she will now be referred to as the Major Domo of the Estate........LOL

Steve
Chicago

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Haha, Steve! :)

Assuming money wasn't a concern, I would convert the boathouse into a guesthouse and re-design the inside to match the guesthouse set that is seen in the show. Same goes for the main house - everything on the inside would look just like it did in the show (as much as possible). The gate house would be gutted and re-designed as well.

I'd probably commission some sort of statue to be built in honor of Magnum, Higgins, T.C. and Rick (and what the heck, Agatha, Carol, Tanaka, Doc Ibold, Maggie, Buck, even Robin would probably be added also). Not sure where I'd put the statue, maybe close to the sea wall and facing the ocean.

I'd buy a red Ferrari 308 GTS, a GMC Jimmy and an Audi 5000 and park them in the circular driveway.

Two highly trained Dobermann Pinchers would roam the grounds.

Free tours of the estate would be available to the public three days a week, Noon-3PM.

Just for the fun of it, I'd probably build an unobtrusive 9-hole "chip-n-putt" golf course on the lawn. When not used, the flags would be removed and the holes covered up. Hole 1 you'd chip through the "covered passageway" from 10 feet back. Hole 9 you chip off from the front balcony, through the wrought iron railing. The beach would come into play, as well. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'd go along the same vein as James in fixing up the guesthouse and main house, however with one twist.

I'd LIVE in the guesthouse and rent out the main house for parties/get togethers as a mysterious absent owner who never happens to be around.

Then I would wander around said parties/functions incognito as the guy "who lives in the guest house, but we really don't know what he does", and get into shenanigans with my buddies and dress very casually.

I'd hire my boss as Majordomo (who happens to be very Higgins-esque whether he'd like to admit it or not) - of course under the above nom-de-plume.

Of course opening up the estate to fans is a mandatory, every Tuesday and Thursday 11-3, and of course July 4th!

Would swim all day, get a surf ski. Assuming I had that much loot to buy the place, for a pastime, I would open up a microbrewery of "Old Dusseldorf" that would be hard to come by everywhere EXCEPT Hawaii that would fund said shenanigans.

(I'd do "Coops" but Coors would totally sue).

Ferrari mandatory.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by perfectlykevin »

Doc Ibold wrote:I'd go along the same vein as James in fixing up the guesthouse and main house, however with one twist.

I'd LIVE in the guesthouse and rent out the main house for parties/get togethers as a mysterious absent owner who never happens to be around.

Then I would wander around said parties/functions incognito as the guy "who lives in the guest house, but we really don't know what he does", and get into shenanigans with my buddies and dress very casually.

I'd hire my boss as Majordomo (who happens to be very Higgins-esque whether he'd like to admit it or not) - of course under the above nom-de-plume.

Of course opening up the estate to fans is a mandatory, every Tuesday and Thursday 11-3, and of course July 4th!

Would swim all day, get a surf ski. Assuming I had that much loot to buy the place, for a pastime, I would open up a microbrewery of "Old Dusseldorf" that would be hard to come by everywhere EXCEPT Hawaii that would fund said shenanigans.

Ferrari mandatory.
Hey Doc, to be really authentic doesn't "Old Dusseldorf" have to be brewed in Maryland? I couid help you out there (something I've pondering doing before-and maybe one day will get a home brewing kit and have it done :D ) Any takers?

I like all the ideas! I think I'd redo the grounds and houses to look like they did in the show too. Open grounds for MPI fans is a must too. Swimming daily, surk kiak or surf ski would be a plus. Hopefully I'd have the money to keep a staff on. After all, if the hibuscus needs more than a ton of manure, I'd like someone else to be doing the shoveling. :wink:

Kev

EDIT addition: Thinking more on the "Old Dusseldorf" idea...I'm wondering what kinda beer it would be like? Thougths for another thread as I don't want to hi-jack this one but something to think about. 8)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:I'd go along the same vein as James in fixing up the guesthouse and main house, however with one twist.

Ferrari mandatory.
Hey Doc, to be really authentic doesn't "Old Dusseldorf" have to be brewed in Maryland? I couid help you out there (something I've pondering doing before-and maybe one day will get a home brewing kit and have it done :D ) Any takers?

I like all the ideas! I think I'd redo the grounds and houses to look like they did in the show too. Open grounds for MPI fans is a must too. Swimming daily, surk kiak or surf ski would be a plus. Hopefully I'd have the money to keep a staff on. After all, if the hibuscus needs more than a ton of manure, I'd like someone else to be doing the shoveling. :wink:

Kev

EDIT addition: Thinking more on the "Old Dusseldorf" idea...I'm wondering what kinda beer it would be like? Thougths for another thread as I don't want to hi-jack this one but something to think about. 8)
Considering "Old Dusseldorf" doesn't exist, I'd make that up as I went along.

:wink:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

I like the ideas. I would also renovate the property to make it look as much like the sets on the show as possible. I would give tours of the guesthouse, main floor of the estate house, and the beach several days per week. I would renovate the gatehouse and make a small representation of the KKC bar area. Memorabilia would be everywhere. Once or twice per year, I would have a Magnum Fest. I would invite Mosely, Manetti, Selleck, and other regulars and guests from the show to make appearances when possible. Old Dusseldorf would be served along with steaks charred on the outside and red in the middle, hotdogs with chili, macho tacos, burrito machisimos, pizza, fig newtons, popcorn, and pb&j sandwiches.

Anyone who loved the show would be welcome for impromtu tours as the mood struck me. Maybe a Great Gatsby themed weekend...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of some of the wines from the cellar. I also agree with making the guest house a replica of what TM's place looked like.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by VM02 »

TM's guest house would be hard to exactly replicate.

I haven't seen anything at Home Depot that would make it teleport all over the estate.

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

Beam me up, Higgins!! :P

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Miss Q »

Well if I owned the estate, after I restored to to good condition I would be looking for a certain person to work as the security expert.... :wink:

I am sure we sould reach some sort of agreement...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

I'd stand on the balcony with binoculars in one hand, and the phone in the other just in case someone tried to land a flying easter egg on the estate. Then I could call the FAA.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by lutherhgillis »

How about staging a "Case of the Red-Faced Thespian" style weekend where everyone dresses up as their favorite persona of the 80s?

You could also stage a showing of the Macado on the grounds.

Of course, weddings could be held on the lawn.

Tennis tournaments and surf ski races...

The possibilities are endless.

Icepick
Admiral

#15 Post by Icepick »

I would invest money into recreating the set but inside the house for real. You could do Higgin's Study and the Foyer at least. As well as turn the Boathouse into a real Magnum pad. I would then have those 3 spaces reserved for public visits(but free for Magnum Mania members) to come and see, similar to how Graceland is used now.

I would also refurbish the grounds into what they once were. The money taken in by opening up to the public and hosting catered events like weddings or even an annual Magnum festival would contribute to upkeep. Refurbishing the rest of the house into an upscale B&B(cut-off from the public areas) could also be profitable.