"A Lighter Side" Team ring.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

"A Lighter Side" Team ring.

#1 Post by N1095A »

I followed the link on the Team Ring page,http://www.artist2.com/mpi.html and found an email address. I sent an email, and was quoted a price of $490 for a 10 kt gold ring. I was wondering if anyone here had purchased one of these high end rings from John, and what your thoughts about them are.
Thanks,
Mike
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

I took a look at this ring and this guy is a gifted jewelry maker. His ring is exquisite. But, as a woman, I think I would rather have a pendant, like Michelle wore in "Memories Are Forever". Maybe some day if I win the Lottery!

Buzz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Buzz »

I have one. Bought it about a year ago. Top quality and John's a great guy to work with. Just be aware it's very heavy!

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

Buzz wrote:I have one. Bought it about a year ago. Top quality and John's a great guy to work with. Just be aware it's very heavy!
Thanks for the info. Is it worth $490.00? Any chance you could post a pic or two? I'd like t see someone wearing it to judge size.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

SelleckLover,

I just emailed the "manufacturer" of the men's ring and asked him if he ever considered making a pendant for us female fans. I told him it wouldn't have to be as big as the ring oval and even a "cut-out" version might work -- but that there are several of us female Magnum fans who would be interested in a pendant we could wear on a charm bracelet or a necklace.

I'll let you know if I ever hear anything back.

golf

P.S. Even if I wanted the men's ring, I think it wouldn't work in a size 5 to fit my finger!!!
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#6 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks golf....you rock! A smaller pendant or charm would work for me! And if the charms were small enough (meaning: tastefully done) maybe a pair of earrings would be nice. :D

N1095A

#7 Post by N1095A »

Buzz wrote:I have one. Bought it about a year ago. Top quality and John's a great guy to work with. Just be aware it's very heavy!
In an email John told me that he made two rings for a cast member.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#8 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

Yes! Earrings would be great too! But I haven't gotten a response yet. Will let everyone know when and if I do.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Buzz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Buzz »

N1095A wrote:
Thanks for the info. Is it worth $490.00? Any chance you could post a pic or two? I'd like t see someone wearing it to judge size.
Is it worth it? Wow, only you can decide that :D I will say it's obviously a top quality handmade piece of jewelry. I'll see about taking a few pics, including a "finger shot" so people can get an idea about size.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I heard from the maker of the ring. Here's his response:

HI,

I actually do have a pendant available...it is in 14k yellow gold,
$295.00. I think it is slightly larger than the ringtop. And I have a
small "cross" only I could make into a charm for less than $100.00. Let
me know if you are interested....at this time I am about a month behind.
thanks.

John Golebiewski

I think I can't afford (right now) $300 for the pendant and probably not the earrings if they're $100 each charm to make a pair of earrings. If anyone else is interested, his email is

ringmakers@gorge.net

golf
"Portside, buddy."

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mac has ordered 2 of these rings

#11 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

Hey, I thought I would just mention that I ordered my ring from John last week and he had told me that Mac on MPI had 2 of his rings made a few years ago. Just a FYI.
"Ohh...my...god...Magnum!!!" -Higgins

N1095A

Re: Mac has ordered 2 of these rings

#12 Post by N1095A »

HIGGIE BABY wrote:Hey, I thought I would just mention that I ordered my ring from John last week and he had told me that Mac on MPI had 2 of his rings made a few years ago. Just a FYI.
He told me that a cast member (un named) bought 2 rings from him. I wondered who it was. As soon as I can come up with the $$$ I'm getting one. I have a sterling silver one, but it isn't the same thing.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

N,

One thing you might want to try: Find a place that makes custom jewelry. They can use your silver ring as the model (if you don't mind giving up the SS ring, because making a mold with it can ruin it) and have one made. It MIGHT be cheaper that way. I have done this with several sterling silver charms that I found and really liked, but I couldn't find them in gold, so I had them made.

However, this ring is pretty large and heavy, so the $295 price is probably not THAT much out of line.

Another option would be to have it made in 10K gold instead of 14K. That can also reduce the price, and I have found 10K gold to be an affordable alternative. It doesn't tarnish and unless you're almost an expert jeweler, it's difficult to tell the difference, you almost need to test it to determine if it's 10K or 14K (though experts can probably tell by looking, 10K is not quite as "yellow" as 14K gold).

I don't intend to denigrate or cheapen the idea of the ring, just make it affordable and presentable.

So don't crucify me, please.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#14 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:N,

One thing you might want to try: Find a place that makes custom jewelry. They can use your silver ring as the model (if you don't mind giving up the SS ring, because making a mold with it can ruin it) and have one made. It MIGHT be cheaper that way. I have done this with several sterling silver charms that I found and really liked, but I couldn't find them in gold, so I had them made.

However, this ring is pretty large and heavy, so the $295 price is probably not THAT much out of line.

Another option would be to have it made in 10K gold instead of 14K. That can also reduce the price, and I have found 10K gold to be an affordable alternative. It doesn't tarnish and unless you're almost an expert jeweler, it's difficult to tell the difference, you almost need to test it to determine if it's 10K or 14K (though experts can probably tell by looking, 10K is not quite as "yellow" as 14K gold).

I don't intend to denigrate or cheapen the idea of the ring, just make it affordable and presentable.

golf
Actually, I'd prefer a 10 kt ring. 10 kt is harder.

The price I was quoted was $490. My SS rimg doesn't have the right bevel, and it's round, not oval. If I were going to the trouble, I'd want it done right.

Quote: "So don't crucify me, please." Please, you know better than that. :D

Buzz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by Buzz »

golfmobile wrote:N,

golf
My Lighter Side ring is 10K. I think that's what John always uses unless something else is requested.