Clue: Magnum P.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Clue: Magnum P.I.

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Okay folks,

I'm bringing forward the brilliang notion (triggered by Conch) that Magnum P.I. could actually be a special edition of Clue. At first, I thought the notion that Hasbro would make a new edition based on an 80s TV show would be ridiculous. But a quick google search revealed that only a few years ago they launched a special Golden Girls edition, where the ladies are all suspected of eating the last piece of cheesecake! If that premise caused the creatives to give a green light, how could a version based on Magnum miss?? Okay, so we have no market research...but that shouldn't stop us from identifying the most appropriate suspects, weapons and locations.

The standard game has six characters (Miss Scarlet, Mr. Green, Colonel Mustard, Professor Plum, Mrs. Peacock, and Mrs. White); six weapons (Candlestick, Dagger, Lead pipe, Revolver, Rope, and a wrench); and ten rooms (Kitchen, Ballroom, Conservatory, Dining Room, Cellar, Billiard Room, Library, Hall, Lounge, and Study).

Let's see some suggestions for the most Magnumesque characters, weapons, and locations...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Clue: Magnum P.I.

#2 Post by Laohu »

I like the idea of this

Characters
Magnum
T.C.
Rick
Higgins
Agatha
A shadowy Robin Masters

Weapons
Magnum’s 45
Higgins canon
Rubber chicken
Wine bottle.
Paddle “from magnums surf ski “
Last edited by Laohu on Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I would buy that so fast heads would spin. I saw MacGyver Escape Room at Target last week and was thinking why can't we get a Magnum game?

https://www.amazon.com/MacGyver-Escape- ... 923&sr=8-1

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Locations should be easy:

Tidal Pool
Guesthouse
Higgins‘ study
Security room
Wine cellar
Patio

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Dark room
Tennis court

Styles Bitchley

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Would the Ferrari be a location or a weapon?

What about Tanaka?

Gotta have the guest house, Higgins’ Study, Dark Room, Tidal Pool.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Would the Ferrari be a location or a weapon?

What about Tanaka?

Gotta have the guest house, Higgins’ Study, Dark Room, Tidal Pool.
Hi Styles,

I would set it up where we the players/guests of Robin Masters are helping Magnum and Tanaka solve the murder that just happened on the estate. I wouldn't use the main characters on the show as potential suspects, but I would use the names of guests that have stayed at the estate (i.e.... Duke Davis, Princess Wanda Martine, Archer Hayes, Lady Cynthia Warrington-Stout just to name a few). In fact I would have it where there is a stack of CASE cards and one card is picked that sets the murder up for that particular game.....one would be The Big Blow with those supporting characters being the suspects, another The Case of the Red Faced Thespian using those supporting characters and so on.....maybe have ten cases that all take place at the estate (keeps the game interesting that way and you don't get bored of it too quickly). Of course the main characters would be at the party/event etc. and be included in the CASE card setting up the event......Rick and TC use the guest house for a party and......... Higgins invites his chums from Sandhurst over for a reunion and...... I would definitely have the Ferrari printed on the board parked out front, but not as a weapon.....too hard to get the Ferrari into any of the rooms to kill someone with it. :wink: (maybe as a location might work), Wine bottle for sure as one of the weapons, maybe even a coconut, lots of those around the estate, a knife -call it Higgin's letter opener, Laohu mentioned surf ski paddle which is also good and so on. It might be hard to include say dark room, study, guest house, tidal pool, tennis court on the playing board and display it properly for game use, might be better to display an aerial of main house, guest house, tennis court, tidal pool, grounds and possibly carport or main gate as locations or just a blow-up of the main house with those main rooms as the potential murder scene locations (i.e. study, wine cellar, foyer, inner courtyard, library, dark room, dining room) too many locations and the game will never end.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

I absolutely love this idea.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

To include the cast Magnum ,T.C. , Rick etc we could make them the players pawn (token ) that way each player would get to play one of the hero’s . If this was done Magnum and the others would not come up as a killer . The cards would just be people visiting the estate for each of different scenarios .

Styles Bitchley

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Laohu wrote:To include the cast Magnum ,T.C. , Rick etc we could make them the players pawn (token ) that way each player would get to play one of the hero’s . If this was done Magnum and the others would not come up as a killer . The cards would just be people visiting the estate for each of different scenarios .
I guess you’re right. If TM comes up as the killer, it sorta kills the spirit of the whole thing...or does it? Maybe it’d just be funny. Could be a scenario that isn’t a murder, like who borrowed Robin’s camera without asking...who trampled Higgins’ flower bed.

The obscure characters would be interesting for us, but the main cast would be the only way to make it broadly appealing.

BTW, Wikipedia says that the gun token in the American version of clue is Magnum’s actual gun (Colt 1911 or whatever...clearly I know nothing about guns!).

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:I like the idea of this

Characters
Magnum
T.C.
Rick
Higgins
Agatha
A shadowy Robin Masters

Weapons
Magnum’s 45
Higgins canon
Rubber chicken
Wine bottle.
I think this is great! I agree with the characters but think Robin should remain a mystery . . . perhaps he's the one who's dead? For the 6th character Mac, Tanaka or Col. Greene come to mind but think we need more female representation, so I'm thinking either Carol or Digger?

I like the idea that the potential suspects aren't the players, so we could have - Ivan, La Bulle, Milton Collins, Quang Ki, David Bannister & Edwin Clutterbuck

Could the Kudu Buck be a weapon?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the bottle idea, but should it be wine or Coops?

This has potential!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Laohu wrote:I like the idea of this

Characters
Magnum
T.C.
Rick
Higgins
Agatha
A shadowy Robin Masters

Weapons
Magnum’s 45
Higgins canon
Rubber chicken
Wine bottle.
I think this is great! I agree with the characters but think Robin should remain a mystery . . . perhaps he's the one who's dead? For the 6th character Mac, Tanaka or Col. Greene come to mind but think we need more female representation, so I'm thinking either Carol or Digger?

I like the idea that the potential suspects aren't the players, so we could have - Ivan, La Bulle, Milton Collins, Quang Ki, David Bannister & Edwin Clutterbuck

Could the Kudu Buck be a weapon?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the bottle idea, but should it be wine or Coops?

This has potential!!
I like all of these ideas...but the Kudu Buck might be a stretch...what about TM's saxophone?

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GUY »

I like the general concept and all the suggestions should be subject for consideration and scrutiny....BUT I haven't seen any mention of hte 308!?!?!? :!:

It HAS to be included somehow....obviously not as a "character".....I suppose if one were stretching it..it could be a weapon..but it has to at least be a "place" where the crime could have happened? Ok...I do see now where KENJI mentioned it....good job guy! He presented the same thing that occured to me...weapon or place...I think it could work as either or both, depending on the scenario.

Sorry guys...somebody has to represent! :lol:

I would buy this if it came to market...and I think a few others might too.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:I like the general concept and all the suggestions should be subject for consideration and scrutiny....BUT I haven't seen any mention of hte 308!?!?!? :!:

It HAS to be included somehow....obviously not as a "character".....I suppose if one were stretching it..it could be a weapon..but it has to at least be a "place" where the crime could have happened? Ok...I do see now where KENJI mentioned it....good job guy! He presented the same thing that occured to me...weapon or place...I think it could work as either or both, depending on the scenario.

Sorry guys...somebody has to represent! :lol:

My thought is the 308 is the board piece for Thomas. The Lads for Higgins, the chopper for T.C. . . . an Uzi for Rick?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:
308GUY wrote:I like the general concept and all the suggestions should be subject for consideration and scrutiny....BUT I haven't seen any mention of hte 308!?!?!? :!:

My thought is the 308 is the board piece for Thomas. The Lads for Higgins, the chopper for T.C. . . . an Uzi for Rick?
I LOVE THIS.

I have a friend who makes and sells board games, and have written to ask him for advice on how to make this happen. I was thinking of using regular Clue-style player pieces, but using something like Monopoly-style player pieces would make this even better.

I was envisioning a limited run, something just for us here on the forum. Unless the game elements are represented in both the original series and the reboot, I don't see this as a mass market variant of the game.