Magnum's Hawaiian Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's Hawaiian Shirts

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

The popular styles such as Jungle Bird, Orchid, etc... When did they stop making them in cotton? I have quite a few in cotton, but now they are all rayon? When did that change?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum's Hawaiian Shirts

#2 Post by Laohu »

The fabric for the shirt has also gone through some changes over the years. Prior to 1983, the shirt was made of 100% rayon. From 1983 to 1991, the shirt was made in both 100% rayon and 100% cotton. Then in 1992, Pacific Clothing decided to make it only in 100% cotton. This cotton-only fabric remained until 2007 when it was changed back to 100% rayon. Since then, all the Magnum PI shirts and dresses have been made in 100% rayon

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by perfectlykevin »

Laohu wrote:The fabric for the shirt has also gone through some changes over the years. Prior to 1983, the shirt was made of 100% rayon. From 1983 to 1991, the shirt was made in both 100% rayon and 100% cotton. Then in 1992, Pacific Clothing decided to make it only in 100% cotton. This cotton-only fabric remained until 2007 when it was changed back to 100% rayon. Since then, all the Magnum PI shirts and dresses have been made in 100% rayon

Good to know. I always thought they were cotton until the recent switch. Shame they aren't available in cotton still :(

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I have the Jungle Birds shirt in both, cotton and rayon.

In my opinion, the rayon shirts wear much better, so you should get them as long as they are available

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by perfectlykevin »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I have the Jungle Birds shirt in both, cotton and rayon.

In my opinion, the rayon shirts wear much better, so you should get them as long as they are available

Is the fit the same for both? I have to drop some pounds. School and work have not been kind :) Plan to get the same size that I have in cotton for the rayon shirts. :)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I don't see a size difference between rayon and cotton with Paradise Found shirts
However, cotton seems to shrink over the time when it has been washed. Rayon not so much

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by perfectlykevin »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I don't see a size difference between rayon and cotton with Paradise Found shirts
However, cotton seems to shrink over the time when it has been washed. Rayon not so much

Good point. :) I usually hang dry my Aloha shirts for that reason. :) I'll give the rayon a go and see how it fits. :)