Original Theme Song From Season 1

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

Original Theme Song From Season 1

#1 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

Am I the only one who likes Season 1's Theme Song?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry to break it to you this way TSMIV, but I think you might be the only one. =) Although, I don't necessarily dislike the first one, it sounds to me like your generic "Muzak" type theme songs that were used at the time, and in my opinion, pales in comparison to Mike Post's!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

It's okay, but to me it's too 70's, like a re-tread from McMillan and Wife, Cannon, or something like that. I prefer the theme we all know. However, my son likes the original theme better.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#4 Post by rubber chicken »

For history's sake I'm glad the DVDs have the original opening, but ugh, it didn't really have any originality to it and was too downbeat. It was made when they weren't positive Magnum P.I. was going to be a big hit, and when the show became popular they put some more time and money into it and we got a proper theme. (in my opinion)

I love Mike Post's Magnum theme. A smiles comes over my face whenever it starts up.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GTS »

I have to say that I am very fond of the older original theme.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

Sorry TS4,

But I'm a Postie myself.

I DO like it on the pilot movie, but other than that, I get much more pumped with the post theme

Waltstasz
Admiral

#7 Post by Waltstasz »

I like the Post theme better, but I do like the 'original' theme as well. It's got a good funky thing going on.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

I like the little jazzy piano solo, but it does feel too much like a 70's leftover. By comparison, the Post theme feels very fresh- as if it's ushering in the 80's (much like the show itself).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:By comparison, the Post theme feels very fresh- as if it's ushering in the 80's (much like the show itself).
Spot on Shermy! Spot on!

I much prefer the Post/Carpenter theme, but I must say that I really do enjoy the Freebairn-Smith theme, as well. The extended version (from the Pilot Movie) is one groovy, jazzed-out piece with some cool string arrangements and piano. It doesn't create an exciting "Hawaiian Vibe", however. It kind of makes you feel like you are in a lower Manhatten club, circa 1976. The Post/Carepenter theme says "Action! Adventure! Fast Cars! 80s style!".
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Vanity »

I must say that I have heard the Post/Carpenter theme so many times, that when I got hold of Season 1, I really enjoyed the Freebairn-Smith one, for its jazzy side of it.
Nevertheless, I really get the kicks of the extended version of Post/Carpenter, adding some saxophone and more guitar.
I know what you're thinking...

Raffles
Ensign

#11 Post by Raffles »

It always reminded me of shows like Quincy M.E.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by lutherhgillis »

I understand that the original theme song won an award and the second and iconic theme song did not. Crazy, huh?

The second theme song created a real buzz. It was a cool song and actually landed on the top 40 airplay list! I began watching MPI after hearing the theme played on the radio. It created a really cool vibe for the show as I remember.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jaybird
Admiral

#13 Post by Jaybird »

The only part I enjoy from Season 1's intro is the sound of the Ferrari starting up. The rest just sounds very generic. Is there anyone who doesn't like the intro from Season 2 onward!? In fact, I was at a wedding a few weeks ago. One of the groomsmen and I began talking. The subject somehow got onto MPI and he produced his cell phone. You guessed it, the ringtone was the intro ( seasons 2-8)! Naturally, I turned him onto the forum. FYI, the guy was just 30 so he was just a tot when the series aired.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The theme used for the first half of season one sounds very Seventies. I think the iconic update is surperior even though the original has grwon on me a little.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

Yes, the Mike Post theme song is way better. Mike Post has a great reputation of good theme songs, from the A-Team to Hunter. Remington Steele's theme song is also good but in the end, Greatest American Hero is my favorite, but I supposed without the lyrics it wouldn't be so good.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "