Dog names

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Dog names

#1 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

My family and I are getting a dog. We aren't getting a Doberman pinscher, but we are getting another German breed -- a German shorthair pointer. We may or may not go hunting with him at some point.

We are debating names. So far, the frontrunner is Maverick, but tonight I had another idea: As some of you might be able to guess (note the moniker "eagle"), I am a fan of NASA's lunar missions, the name of which shares the same lineage as that of one of the lads.

So now I'm thinking that we should name him Apollo. Unfortunately there won't be a Zeus for us -- at least for now.

What do you guys think?

Maverick? Apollo?

:D

:higgins:
Last edited by eagle on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Dog names

#2 Post by marlboro »

eagle wrote:I am a fan of NASA's lunar missions, the name of which shares the same lineage as that of one of the lads.

You could just call him Rover. Only you would know that it is secretly short for Lunar Rover.

Why Maverick? Just sound cool, or are you a fan of the old tv show?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by eagle »

Haha, Rover - love it.

We were reminded of Top Gun, and the name Maverick seemed to work well for an energetic GSP.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

Sir Algernon Farnsworth?

What does this dog look like? I've googled a bit and there seems to be a couple of varieties. Is this one mainly white, or mainly brown? Just curious. I've never seen this type of dog before, i don't think.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

marlboro wrote:Sir Algernon Farnsworth?
That is so funny -- I was watching this very episode today at lunch!
What does this dog look like? I've googled a bit and there seems to be a couple of varieties. Is this one mainly white, or mainly brown? Just curious. I've never seen this type of dog before, i don't think.
He's mostly white with some big brown spots, and lots of ticking.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

What about Buster, or Bobby K? :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

waverly2211
Captain

#7 Post by waverly2211 »

The real names of the 2 male dogs used in the show were Whisky and Brutus, if memory serves me coerrctly.

Whisky is also a Military call sign.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

If I had to choose between these two choices only, I'd go with Maverick. Apollo seems like a name for a more ferocious looking dog than GSPs. But I have another suggestion since you are fan of NASA and the Apollo missions. How about Deke for Deke Slayton? He's sort of my favorite astronaut (partly because of Nick Searcy's portrayal of him in From the Earth to the Moon) and I think Deke just sounds like cool name for a dog.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

The family thinks Apollo and Zeus will be okay when we get 2 at the same time, but for now we are going to stick with Maverick. I should post a picture...

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Reef monkey »

marlboro wrote:Sir Algernon Farnsworth?

It's funny, I was talking with my wife the other day about how I want to name our next pet a very human name, but not an over the top one, something like Ronald Coopersmith. And we would call the dog by its full name all the time. I though it would be a great conversation starter, especially with people who know our name is not Coopersmith. And then answer their guesses of why we named him that with "no" like we don't understand why they would ask us.

My wife vetoed this.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

There are occasions where a human like name might work (like Zeus or Apollo, or a groundhog named Phil), but I always like to name any animal or pet based on their description or characteristics. Some of the names I've given animals include, "The Floppy-Eared Guy" (a sheep with.. floppy ears), "The Fuzzy Dark Guy" (a little wood squirrel who was fuzzy, and dark) and "Yellow Dog #2". (a dog who was yellow, very much like "Yellow Dog #1")

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:but I always like to name any animal or pet based on their description or characteristics. Some of the names I've given animals include, "The Floppy-Eared Guy" (a sheep with.. floppy ears), "The Fuzzy Dark Guy" (a little wood squirrel who was fuzzy, and dark) and "Yellow Dog #2". (a dog who was yellow, very much like "Yellow Dog #1")
Or a Mad Kudu Buck.