Best string of episodes!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Best string of episodes!

#1 Post by No need to know! »

After revisiting the seventh season i have to say that
Death and taxes, A little girl who followed by Paper war are the perfect string of episodes ever for Magnum P.I.

So different to each other, yet so perfect for this series.

What do you think? Maybe you have some other examples from this season or some other season.
Onion´s extra?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Best string of episodes!

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

Yours is definitely a high point as far as consecutive episodes are concerned! As for me, I would say that the first seven(!) episodes of season three are also of a high quality:

Did You See the Sunrise?
Ki'i's Don't Lie
The Eighth Part of the Village
Past Tense
Black on White
Flashback
Foiled Again
------------------

Iconic Magnum, P.I. episodes and great character stories, as well. I will always love season three above all others.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Excellent choices so far . . . I think for me it's this:

- Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii pt. 1
- Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii pt. 2
- China Doll
- Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too
- No Need to Know
- Skin Deep
- Never Again ... Never Again

Thank Heaven is the weakest one for me in that batch, but it is where we "Huggins" from so . . . :-)

Although this batch is a good run as well . . .

- The Woman on the Beach
- From Moscow to Maui
- Memories Are Forever (1)
- Memories Are Forever (2)
- Tropical Madness
- Wave Goodbye
- Mad Buck Gibson
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote: Thank Heaven is the weakest one for me in that batch, but it is where we "Huggins" from so . . . :-)
Let's not forget the precursor to "Oh My God!"... aka "Outrageous"!

:wink:

It's definitely a drop off from China Doll, but a nice foreshadowing that the show wasn't all action and guns and babes.

I have to agree with your choices, Conch

ConchRepublican

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Thank Heaven is the weakest one for me in that batch, but it is where we "Huggins" from so . . . :-)
Let's not forget the precursor to "Oh My God!"... aka "Outrageous"!

:wink:

It's definitely a drop off from China Doll, but a nice foreshadowing that the show wasn't all action and guns and babes.

I have to agree with your choices, Conch
How could I forget!!

Classics. . . . Did a TV show ever start stronger?
CoziTV Superfan spot

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by No need to know! »

Thank heaven.. is underrated here i think. Ok it´s not near China doll but i always enjoyed it.
Onion´s extra?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

"Thank Heaven..." is clearly the runt of that very fine litter, and it imo almost defeats the "best string" concept. However, I enjoy it in that it's the only(?) holiday-themed episode in the series' run and it does have a charm of its own that makes it unique in the series. I like the coy, almost subversive Christmas music underscore and the extensive use of locations often found in both MPI and the real (original) Five-0. I just don't think "Thank Heaven..." is strong enough to stand tall with its superb episodic "colleagues"; but then it's Conch's list, not mine. :)

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

Little Garwood wrote:"Thank Heaven..." is clearly the runt of that very fine litter, and it imo almost defeats the "best string" concept. However, I enjoy it in that it's the only(?) holiday-themed episode in the series' run and it does have a charm of its own that makes it unique in the series. I like the coy, almost subversive Christmas music underscore and the extensive use of locations often found in both MPI and the real (original) Five-0. I just don't think "Thank Heaven..." is strong enough to stand tall with its superb episodic "colleagues"; but then it's Conch's list, not mine. :)
Operation Silent Night, as well - although it isn't as overt as THFLGABOT.

ConchRepublican

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:"Thank Heaven..." is clearly the runt of that very fine litter, and it imo almost defeats the "best string" concept. However, I enjoy it in that it's the only(?) holiday-themed episode in the series' run and it does have a charm of its own that makes it unique in the series. I like the coy, almost subversive Christmas music underscore and the extensive use of locations often found in both MPI and the real (original) Five-0. I just don't think "Thank Heaven..." is strong enough to stand tall with its superb episodic "colleagues"; but then it's Conch's list, not mine. :)
I agree, I was unsure if it didn't blow up the string as well, but I think the amazing episodes that surround it, plus, as Doc said, that it introduced us to that other side of Magnum, saves it. It's not like it's The Kona Winds or Kiss of the Sabre. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

Doc Ibold wrote:Operation Silent Night, as well - although it isn't as overt as THFLGABOT.
Of course! :oops:
ConchRepublican wrote:I agree, I was unsure if it didn't blow up the string as well, but I think the amazing episodes that surround it, plus, as Doc said, that it introduced us to that other side of Magnum, saves it. It's not like it's The Kona Winds or Kiss of the Sabre. :wink:
I'm sure I'm one of the few (only?) MPI fanatics who has The Kona Winds in their all-time top twenty, though it's certainly not among a long string of great episodes! (I'm also quite the fan of another unpopular S6 episode, The Hotel Dick).

~Tom Selleck

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by No need to know! »

Little Garwood wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Operation Silent Night, as well - although it isn't as overt as THFLGABOT.
Of course! :oops:
ConchRepublican wrote:I agree, I was unsure if it didn't blow up the string as well, but I think the amazing episodes that surround it, plus, as Doc said, that it introduced us to that other side of Magnum, saves it. It's not like it's The Kona Winds or Kiss of the Sabre. :wink:
I'm sure I'm one of the few (only?) MPI fanatics who has The Kona Winds in their all-time top twenty, though it's certainly not among a long string of great episodes! (I'm also quite the fan of another unpopular S6 episode, The Hotel Dick).
Certainly not a fan of the Kona Winds but the Hotel Dick is very entertaining. Cool to see Magnum having some kind of reality check. I mean moving out and wearing glasses, some kind of midlife crisis or just growing up? I think its a fun episode.
Onion´s extra?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

ConchRepublican wrote:Excellent choices so far . . . I think for me it's this:

- Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii pt. 1
- Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii pt. 2
- China Doll
- Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too
- No Need to Know
- Skin Deep
- Never Again ... Never Again

Thank Heaven is the weakest one for me in that batch, but it is where we "Huggins" from so . . . :-)

Although this batch is a good run as well . . .

- The Woman on the Beach
- From Moscow to Maui
- Memories Are Forever (1)
- Memories Are Forever (2)
- Tropical Madness
- Wave Goodbye
- Mad Buck Gibson

Those would be my choices as well. A distant third pick would be the end of season 4:

The Return of Luther Gillis
Let the Punishment Fit the Crime
Holmes is Where the Heart Is
On Face Value
Dream a Little Dream
I Witness

Lindenburger
Ensign

#13 Post by Lindenburger »

Little Garwood wrote:Yours is definitely a high point as far as consecutive episodes are concerned! As for me, I would say that the first seven(!) episodes of season three are also of a high quality:

Did You See the Sunrise?
Ki'i's Don't Lie
The Eighth Part of the Village
Past Tense
Black on White
Flashback
Foiled Again
------------------

Iconic Magnum, P.I. episodes and great character stories, as well. I will always love season three above all others.
I really agree with you on this one. I also think season 3 is the best one.