Looking for Input from some fellow Magnum fans

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

What should I do?

Robin 1
38%
Robin 4
50%
Other
No votes
Don't do it
13%

Total votes: 16

TheDungeonMaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking for Input from some fellow Magnum fans

#1 Post by TheDungeonMaster »

Hi Everyone,

I'm Matt, I live in South Carolina where I teach college history and spend the rest of my time watching baseball, Magnum PI, gaming, and playing guitar.

I've been lurking on this site since 2009 or so. Back then I had decided to start watching Magnum in order on DVD, really for the first time since I was a kid in the 80s. I found this site to be a great source of info on all of the episodes, not to mention on finding links to things like Hawaiian shirts - or my fake "Robin -1" license plate that I had on my previous cars front bumper.

Magnum was one of my favorite shows growing up but until I watched them all as an adult I never noticed how well written the characters were or what an truly excellent show it was - also I never realized how much of a good natured moocher TM was to his friends.

I've debated joining in the past but I'm not a big message board guy so I've always just come to see what was happening for Magnum news or as I was re-watching the series again and needed some episode info.

What changed my mind was my purchase of a red 2015 convertible Mustang this past week. It is a beauty. I mentioned to my wife that I should put a Robin -1 plate on it - since this is as close as I'm ever getting to having a Ferrari! Amazingly she thought it was great idea.

So my question for the community is: Would it be silly to put a "Robin 1" on a non-Ferrari? As an alternative I thought about requesting a "Robin 4"? Or maybe nothing at all or another?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking for Input from some fellow Magnum fans

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to this great site !Lots of great Magnum mania guys & gals here. Go for it ! The Mustang to me is as iconic as John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen and obviously the great man himself Tom Selleck. It's as American as apple pie. I drove a Mustang soft top rental when my wife and I holidayed in Maui in 2007. It was so much driving fun and definitely enhanced our Hawaiian experience. Enjoy your new car and absolutely ROBIN 1 will be so appropriate for an MPI fan. :magnum: :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome TDM!

I've always been a chevy guy, and since the 80's, Pontiac Fiero's, BUT the new Mustangs have impressed me so much that I would consider one over most GM choices.

Ford has been around a looong time, and pretty much set the stage for everybody else. The new ones are really impressive, at least to me.

As to your original question, my vote is go for it if it's something that will make you smile everytime you look at it.

Allot of the members here have something or other that puts them in mind of the show, the stories, the setting, the characters, myself included.

My theory is, if it makes me smile and has a connection to any of the above things, it's not silly, expensive or a waste of anything. NOT doing it would be a denial of who we are and maybe, in some cases, ultimately who we'd like to be?

Glad you decided to sign on, as you already know if you've been lurking/looking as long as you say, very good people here.
A college proff couldn't hurt the roster any! :higgins:

Welcome aboard, and feel free to share pics of your new ride if you'd like. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

TheDungeonMaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by TheDungeonMaster »

Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback everyone. I'm glad to hear that other MPI fans don't think a plate on a Mustang would be a silly idea. I get to ask for three, ordered for preference, with no way of knowing which ones may be taken - which isn't ideal - but I think I will go for it. I have a strong feeling that somewhere in the state somebody has a Robin 1 plate, but I'll give it a shot or try for something else.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I'm with 308guy, the new Mustangs finally got it right with the styling, and this is coming from a guy who's first car was a '66 Mustang, 4th car was a black and gold Mustang II Cobra (had many, many other cool cars including a 69AMX, 73 OpelGT, 3 different RX-7's, a Nissan 300ZX, 98 Corvette and just sold my 2004 yellow Chevy SSR). Go for whichever plate you desire but most of all have fun! (I voted for Robin 1)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

I think it's a great idea and you should go with whichever one you feel is best for you. I lean towards "Robin 4" because it would be next in line, fitting for another in Robin's fleet, but that's just me.

Looking forward to the pictures of your final choice!

PS - you have a cool wife. I like when our spouses "get" our little bit of crazy.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

I say go for it.

It's a sweet car (I do the digital work for Mustang, so I have a bit of a soft spot for the brand.. LOL)

Did you get the 5.0, Ecoboost or the V6?

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am going against the consensus and voted 'don't do'

It's just like wearing a Jungle Bird Shirt with a tuxedo imo.

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Lance Mannion »

Welcome !!! I've got to say, "Robin-4," because anyone/fan who "get's it," will get more of a chuckle ... I would ... and I concur with the member who said you must have a cool wife :-) ... Congrats on both ...

All that said, Pics are definitely needed ...Obviously, I was referring to just your new car :-))

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I am going against the consensus and voted 'don't do'

It's just like wearing a Jungle Bird Shirt with a tuxedo imo.
I just did that a couple of weeks ago but in my defense it was a white dinner jacket and the event was held at the Brookfield Zoo :wink:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by TSMIV »

Hi Matt,

I’m no one special but welcome! I think you will really enjoy Magnum Mania – MPI people are a very friendly bunch.

Regarding the Mustang – go with your heart and do it! You don’t want to be having an ‘I wish I had done that’ conversation with yourself in five years.
:higgins:

TheDungeonMaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by TheDungeonMaster »

Wow, so many replies since I last checked. I've been busy with grading finals and such and haven't had time to check in.

An update for those that care -- In SC you can request up to 3 choices for a personalized plate - putting them in order of preference on the form- I sent in my application just the other day with Robin-4 as a first and Robin-1 as a second. Couldn't come up with a third I'd want to do. Like some of the members here said- I thought the Robin-4 would be something a fan would get and chuckle at. I also think I have more of a chance in getting it because surely Robin-1 is on Ferrari somewhere in the state. Now I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if I get either.

As a "preview" here is a picture of the Mustang with my fake Robin-1 Hawaii plate.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

TheDungeonMaster wrote:Wow, so many replies since I last checked. I've been busy with grading finals and such and haven't had time to check in.

An update for those that care -- In SC you can request up to 3 choices for a personalized plate - putting them in order of preference on the form- I sent in my application just the other day with Robin-4 as a first and Robin-1 as a second. Couldn't come up with a third I'd want to do. Like some of the members here said- I thought the Robin-4 would be something a fan would get and chuckle at. I also think I have more of a chance in getting it because surely Robin-1 is on Ferrari somewhere in the state. Now I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if I get either.

As a "preview" here is a picture of the Mustang with my fake Robin-1 Hawaii plate.

Great looking 'stang.......When you get the plate you need to take a picture with you inside , top down and with a hawaiian shirt...........

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
TheDungeonMaster wrote:Wow, so many replies since I last checked. I've been busy with grading finals and such and haven't had time to check in.

Great looking 'stang.......When you get the plate you need to take a picture with you inside , top down and with a hawaiian shirt...........
What he said!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

TheDungeonMaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by TheDungeonMaster »

Steve wrote:
Thanks, and will do!