Memorial Day Magnum PI Moment

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Memorial Day Magnum PI Moment

#1 Post by Reef monkey »

Sure, it's not quite paddling a surf ski to Molokai, but paddling my kayak in Galveston Bay is about as close as I get on a regular basis.

image by mmyers1976

I'm also out on it most 4th of Julys, too, but so far haven't ended up treading water.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! Remember those who served in VMO-2, in Vietnam, in all units and all wars.
Last edited by Reef monkey on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by 308GUY »

At least you're out there! :D

Salute to ALL who served/serve and let's none of us forget at least a moment of silent rememberance for those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy our way of life.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Awesome, Reef monkey.
I read this the other day- kayaking is so good for you.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Reef monkey »

Danno wrote:Awesome, Reef monkey.
Nice, thanks for that, I'll use it whenever my wife complains about me going out too long :lol: Do you paddle, Danno?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Memorial Day Magnum PI Moment

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:Sure, it's not quite paddling a surf ski to Molokai, but paddling my kayak in Galveston Bay is about as close as I get on a regular basis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23274210@N00/8852747735/

I'm also out on it most 4th of Julys, too, but so far haven't ended up treading water.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! Remember those who served in VMO-2, in Vietnam, in all units and all wars.
Hey RM,

Looks like a nice day for a paddle. I went out too (sorry no pictures), but it was anything but the solitude Magnum liked. It was incredibly crowded on the water, with alot of drunken boaters, sadly. I saw a couple of sea lions pretty close up though, so it was still worth it.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:Sure, it's not quite paddling a surf ski to Molokai, but paddling my kayak in Galveston Bay is about as close as I get on a regular basis.

Hey RM,

Looks like a nice day for a paddle. I went out too (sorry no pictures), but it was anything but the solitude Magnum liked. It was incredibly crowded on the water, with alot of drunken boaters, sadly. I saw a couple of sea lions pretty close up though, so it was still worth it.
Yeah, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day are tough times to get solitude on the water. Other than when crossing through the are where my house is (and where the pic was taken) I was able to avoid drunk boaters by mostly sticking to the little coves and inlets that are too shallow for motor boats. Still shared those waters with a lot of kayaking fishermen. I miss the days shortly after I got my kayak 13 years ago when I had those coves to myself, and anyone who saw me paddling would asking where I got my "funny little boat" - now kayaks are ubiquitous down here. At least, though, it seems that people who in the 80s and 90s would have bought jetskis to get on the water are now buying kayaks, or the latest craze down here, stand up paddle boards.

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Hey RM,

Yeah, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day are tough times to get solitude on the water. Other than when crossing through the are where my house is (and where the pic was taken) I was able to avoid drunk boaters by mostly sticking to the little coves and inlets that are too shallow for motor boats. Still shared those waters with a lot of kayaking fishermen. I miss the days shortly after I got my kayak 13 years ago when I had those coves to myself, and anyone who saw me paddling would asking where I got my "funny little boat" - now kayaks are ubiquitous down here. At least, though, it seems that people who in the 80s and 90s would have bought jetskis to get on the water are now buying kayaks, or the latest craze down here, stand up paddle boards.
I hear you. I started paddling with a friend whose father had imported a rubber-coated canvas on wood frame folding kayak from Germany back in the 80's. I met him in 1991 and we started paddling. So it's been over 20 years, and people used to ask about it all the time. We have a couple of rental places in Alamitos Bay here in Long Beach, and a typical weekend will see several dozen kayakers around. I try to avoid them after one renter accidentally hit my boat with his paddle, he went over, hittting me, and we both ended up in the drink. I helped him get back aboard because he seemed a bit panicked, but I sure didn't feel like doing so. That was two or three years ago. I guess I ended up treading water like Magnum. :lol: I never thought about that before. Luckily I wasn't in the open ocean.

I was just talking with that same friend about stand up paddle boards recently, after he tried one. They've been around her for a few years now (maybe five or so) and sometimes I see more of them than kayaks when I'm out. They're mostly owners it seems, some with their dogs aboard, but the rental places have SUPs now too. To be very honest, to get some solitude now, I do one of two things. I leave in the dark during the morning when only the fishing boats are around and they disappear offshore quickly. Or, in the afternoon, I paddle way out near the oil platforms which don't attract many kayaks because it takes about an hour one way. I contemplated that on Monday but the traffic through the jetties was crazy busy with the aforementioned drunk boaters, so I just poked around close by.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

Reef monkey wrote:
Danno wrote:Awesome, Reef monkey.
Nice, thanks for that, I'll use it whenever my wife complains about me going out too long :lol: Do you paddle, Danno?

Haha!
About ten years ago I did, but haven't since then. Been meaning to get back into it for that long. :oops:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote:
I hear you. I started paddling with a friend whose father had imported a rubber-coated canvas on wood frame folding kayak from Germany back in the 80's.
Was that a Klepper? I have heard those are great boats, even read about a guy who crossed the Atlantic in one. Now that's crazy.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
I hear you. I started paddling with a friend whose father had imported a rubber-coated canvas on wood frame folding kayak from Germany back in the 80's.
Was that a Klepper? I have heard those are great boats, even read about a guy who crossed the Atlantic in one. Now that's crazy.
No, it was called a "Pouch Faltboot" or folding boat, and it was a two-man. I don't know if they're still in business. We went camping several times with it, or actually in it. It could carry a whole lot including our tent. That is crazy crossing the Atlantic. We once paddled non-stop from Dana Point to Newport Harbor. We figured our route was about 21 or 22 miles. We had planned a channel crossing from Long Beach to Catalina Island which is just a little longer but rougher than along the coast. Sadly we never got to do it. Some people paddle board (lying) that route!

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

They're still in business. Here's a link: http://www.poucher-boote.de/

It looked just like the one shown except the top was blue, not red. Wow, they're expensive!!!