Some trivia questions I'd like to know

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

stever
Lieutenant Commander

Some trivia questions I'd like to know

#1 Post by stever »

First off GREAT website.

I'm curious if anyone knows how many times Magnum was shot or wounded during the series. It seems like at least once a year he got nailed. Does anyone know?

My other question is does anyone know why Magnum's favorite baseball team was the Tigers? You figure a guy growing up on the East Coast would have a different team then the Tigers.

Anyway just a few Magnum curiosities I was interested in.

Thanks, Steve R.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi stever, welcome to the site! And thanks for the props. I appreciate it greatly!

By my count, Magnum was shot a total of 13 times in his life - 10 times in the show, 3 times in 'Nam. Bullets seem to be drawn to his shoulders, as the majority of his wounds were in that area. ;)

Magnum's favorite team was the Tigers, because it was his grandfathers favorite team. Thomas admired his grandfather greatly. It should also be noted that growing up in the Tidewater region of Virginia, he also rooted for the Washington Senators.

They (the producers) worked the Tigers element into the show at Selleck's request. He was born in Detroit.

Hope this helps.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Why Detroit Tigers?

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

As James mentioned, my impression of why Magnum was a Detroit Tiger fan was because Tom Selleck was born in Detroit. The movie, "Mr. Baseball" ends with Tom Selleck's character as a hitting coach for the Detroit Tigers in Lakeland, Florida during Spring Training. So, his Detroit influence goes beyond the Magnum P.I. set.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#4 Post by Mavrick »

Being from the Tidewater area He also might of been a Norfolk "Tides" fan and if he were to be a Tides fan, He may also be a New York "Mets" fan because at that time the "Tides were the farm league of the "Mets". That has change now they are the Farm league for the Baltimore "Orioles"
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Mr. Greene »

I clearly remember as well on a Bob Hope special in I guess early '84 or very late '83 Tom Selleck being on from location in Hawaii and giving Bob a Tigers hat saying something along the lines of maybe with Hope's support they would be a winning team, and in '84 they won the world series. So the power of Magnum and Hope is a winner