Magnum and Hawaiian food

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Magnum and Hawaiian food

#1 Post by Reef monkey »

So last Saturday my wife was taking my daughter to a birthday party, and I was headed to the hardware store and discovered a Hawaiian restaurant right down the street from my house. Plate lunches like moco loco, Kalua pork, teriyaki short ribs, etc. I got the aloha plate - Kalua pork, fried mahi mahi, white rice, a green papaya salad, and a little picked cabbage. I also got a piece of spam musubi. By chance I had my mp3 player with me, with a few 3rd and 4th season episodes loaded on it, so I put Two Birds Of A Feather on while I ate. I guess one could have a similar "magnum lunch" at a sushi restaurant, sushi being as popular as it is in Honolulu. I know Magnum was more of a chili dog kind of guy, but can anyone think of any good episodes that featured Hawaiian food?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MagnumILWU »

The only thing I can think of , that even comes close, is 'Did You See the Sunrise'. Mac takes Magnum and his date to, 'Luau Louie's'. Did they eat some Poi? I don't think so, but that's all I can remember!
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Season Seven's "Kapu", which featured a serious luau. Not sure what he ate, but I'm sure it was good. :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Magnum never ate plate lunch although plate lunch wagons were ubiquitous even in the 80's. They should have shown him having some. But then, they really modeled him to be an FOB, no pidgin, no local slang, afraid of locals, antagonistic to da braddahs... At da kapu luau, garanz he would have had kalua pig, laulau, poi...

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Reef monkey »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Magnum never ate plate lunch although plate lunch wagons were ubiquitous even in the 80's. They should have shown him having some. But then, they really modeled him to be an FOB, no pidgin, no local slang, afraid of locals, antagonistic to da braddahs... At da kapu luau, garanz he would have had kalua pig, laulau, poi...
I love reading the pidgin. Do you know of a website with a dictionary of Hawaiian slang?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Reef monkey wrote: Do you know of a website with a dictionary of Hawaiian slang?
certainly hope not. That would be the antithesis of the mana of that aspect of local culture, to organize it and try to define it. It is first and foremost an acquired language. Learned via immersion. It is a natural result of living in the 'aina you have long held roots and appreciation for. Among 'ohana you have a connection with. It is not something from books or online.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Braddah Kimo wrote:
Reef monkey wrote: Do you know of a website with a dictionary of Hawaiian slang?
certainly hope not. That would be the antithesis of the mana of that aspect of local culture, to organize it and try to define it. It is first and foremost an acquired language. Learned via immersion. It is a natural result of living in the 'aina you have long held roots and appreciation for. Among 'ohana you have a connection with. It is not something from books or online.
This reminds me of an anthropology course I did back in university. Stretching way back in the memory bank now, but I remember how fascinating it was to discover how cultural groups use slang as a way to identify themselves and outsiders (urban gangs do it too). I think it becomes even more pronounced when there's a need to protect limited resources. Clearly this is the case in Hawaii, which has undoubtedly run the risk of being overrun by paradise seekers from the other 49 states!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Braddah Kimo »

from around the world too. Locals are more and more protective about regarding what little remains of Hawaiian culture. the 'aina was stolen. 1898. and 1959. Their cultural iconography is wantonly replicated and used as silly decor. their language is appropriated and here, being watered down. No more aloha on the roads. No more local mom n pop shops. all these newbies, furriners, transplants grabbing their own piece of paradise and then bringing THEIR culture here. They have NO connection to the people, the culture, the 'aina. And then they cut down all the trees and they demand THEIR favorite corporate store and restaurant and coffee shops are popped right down in their neighborhood so's they don't have to drive far to satisfy their mainland needs and greeds. (sorry. rant over)

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Braddah Kimo »

from around the world too. Locals are more and more protective about regarding what little remains of Hawaiian culture. the 'aina was stolen. 1898. and 1959. Their cultural iconography is wantonly replicated and used as silly decor. their language is appropriated and here, being watered down. No more aloha on the roads. No more local mom n pop shops. all these newbies, furriners, transplants grabbing their own piece of paradise and then bringing THEIR culture here. They have NO connection to the people, the culture, the 'aina. And then they cut down all the trees and they demand THEIR favorite corporate store and restaurant and coffee shops are popped right down in their neighborhood so's they don't have to drive far to satisfy their mainland needs and greeds. (sorry. rant over)

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Waterbug Blue »

sounds like standard (globalized) procedure ;) alas...

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That's the trouble with paradise. Everybody wants to take a piece of it for themselves.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by The Birdman »

Braddah Kimo wrote:from around the world too. Locals are more and more protective about regarding what little remains of Hawaiian culture. the 'aina was stolen. 1898. and 1959. Their cultural iconography is wantonly replicated and used as silly decor. their language is appropriated and here, being watered down. No more aloha on the roads. No more local mom n pop shops. all these newbies, furriners, transplants grabbing their own piece of paradise and then bringing THEIR culture here. They have NO connection to the people, the culture, the 'aina. And then they cut down all the trees and they demand THEIR favorite corporate store and restaurant and coffee shops are popped right down in their neighborhood so's they don't have to drive far to satisfy their mainland needs and greeds. (sorry. rant over)
What's your story? Have you lived in HI your whole life?
What do you and other locals think of Dog The Bounty Hunter? I know he's just some dude from Texas and I personally think he's a little over the top trying to fit in and act local.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Braddah Kimo »

50year kama'aina. Two hawaiian stepfathers. Dog and beth aré ok. I know them,i dont judge them.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

"We satisfy our endless needs to justify our bloody deeds......in the name of destiny and in the name of God..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekytTpFy ... re=related

Styles Bitchley

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:"We satisfy our endless needs to justify our bloody deeds......in the name of destiny and in the name of God..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekytTpFy ... re=related
I've always liked that song. Great message: "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye." Don't know why the video chooses to pick on Hong Kong though. I love that town, so it doesn't work as the antithesis of paradise to me.

- J.Q.H.