Missed a Chronosport.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wwmd
Vice Admiral

Missed a Chronosport.

#1 Post by wwmd »

Well, I did my best, but enough was enough.

Somebody actually paid $960 for a Chronosport on eBay. Needless to say, it wasn't me. Maybe it was one of you guys!? Oh well, you can't win them all.

I thought everyone might find it interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by perfectlykevin »

Wow! Not even an exact model, but still very close. I mitght pay half that but not much more since there are so many different watches still made that use pretty much the same case and layout.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by wwmd »

Yeah, I know. I hung in there as long as I could (it's a nice looking watch despite the fact that it's not the coveted Sea Quartz 30). It would have been close enough for me.

I guess I'll put the money I might have spent on this towards the GMT Master I want to buy years down the line. :D

--Sammy

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#4 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I saw that. It's the third one in about 2 months to be sold on Ebay. I got the second one. The one sold today is a Sea Quartz 30, as far as I can tell. Apparently the later models actually have the 30 on the dial face, but mine doesn't, making it more like Magnum's. The 30 is on the back, though. Too bad this one sold today didn't show what kind of band went with it and the replacement hour hand it a bit too big. Surprising that it went for as much as it did.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Jake »

Dakota Ellison is correct, that was an original sea quartz 30 with aftermark replacement hands. The early models just had "quartz" written on the face (and 30 ATM engraved on the back of the case). Later models were changed to "Sea Quartz 30" on the dial. All versions are rare, but the early "quartz" dial versions are the rarest and usually command and even higher price.

The "quartz" version is the one Magnum had, and I have one as well. I have long since had to replace the original band, however the rest of the watch is still all original and in great shape. The winning bid that just bought the watch off ebay wouldnt buy my watch - these are just too rare not to mention ones still in great condition.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Jake »

After looking again at the pics of the watch on ebay I believe the bezel has been replaced as well. The numbers and hash marks look a little too big/thick compared to my watch. I have sent my watch to Chronoserv over the years for an ocassional tune-up and they have offered to replace some parts on my watch with aftermaterket reproduction parts. I have never taken them up on it because even though my watch has some slight wear and tear from being 30 years old it is still in great shape and I preferred it to stay original. The only downside is that the dial/handset on my watch doesnt have much lume left when in a dark room.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by wwmd »

Very interesting comments, guys.

Hopefully, I'll track one down one of these days (especially when I'm able to spend a little more and not feel guilty). I have to say that I've always loved the Chronosport's look, and I will take all that you've said into consideration when weighing future choices. This really is a great forum.

Happy Holidays!

--Sammy

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#8 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Jake, you are right; the numbers on the bezel are different. The number 4 is a giveaway. Looking at the back case cover, I see the number 23501. Is that like the model number?
Here's the one I bought:
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!B6mW+OwBWk~$(K ... +jCy3+9BM)]4eHsDdQ~~_12.JPG[/img]
I really like this watch. It has a classic dive watch look ala Submariner and keeps excellent time. The lume is still pretty bright in a dark room. The band appears to be the original. (Jake, can you tell?) Leaves a faint diamond waffle impression on my wrist when I take it off.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by wwmd »

Hey, do you guys know of any other place I might look for Chronosports? I mean, I'll keep checking eBay, but it would be interesting to know if there are any other potential sources out there.

Any thoughts?

--Sammy

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#10 Post by Dakota Ellison »

I just kept checking Ebay. Made it a "favorite" and checked every day. There is a site called Watchyouseek or something like that. Mainly a forum though, but there are other Chronosport seekers there.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Jake »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Jake, you are right; the numbers on the bezel are different. The number 4 is a giveaway. Looking at the back case cover, I see the number 23501. Is that like the model number?
Here's the one I bought:
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!B6mW+OwBWk~$(K ... +jCy3+9BM)]4eHsDdQ~~_12.JPG[/img]
I really like this watch. It has a classic dive watch look ala Submariner and keeps excellent time. The lume is still pretty bright in a dark room. The band appears to be the original. (Jake, can you tell?) Leaves a faint diamond waffle impression on my wrist when I take it off.
I might be wrong about the bezel. I have some old Chronosport ads from dive magazines that I kept with my watch paperwork. One ad is from 1979 and the bezel looks real similar to the watch that just sold on ebay. In the 1982 ad the bezel is a bit different and matches my watch (as well as Dakota's), however the dial on the 82 watch had been changed to the "sea quartz 30" logo. I will share some pics of my watch when I get a chance, I was also asked recently to post some pics of some MPI crew items I have collected so I need to get with it and spend some time taking pics and signing up with a hosting site.

Dakota your watch looks like a beauty and from what I can tell looks pretty much just like mine. My watch also has the 23501 case number. Many times watch makers put the case number on the inside of the back cover instead of the outside, but they are like model numbers and are used mainly for when watches are serviced so you can look up info on the original build and have the appropriate parts lists etc. Regarding your watchband, I don't think it is original. The SQ30 was originally sold with a choice between a stainless steel jubilee bracelet or a dive strap (typically nylon but sometimes rubber). My watch originally came with the steel bracelet and the clasp eventually failed so I bought a replacement jubilee bracelet for it. However I don't use it anymore because I bought a really nice rubber dive strap that I wear with it now (real comfortable).

Jake
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Jake »

wwmd wrote:Hey, do you guys know of any other place I might look for Chronosports? I mean, I'll keep checking eBay, but it would be interesting to know if there are any other potential sources out there.

Any thoughts?

--Sammy
Sammy, If your interested in owning a non-sea quartz 30 Chronosport I might have something you would like. I also have a Men's Chronosport Auto 20 dive watch which I have been considering selling. It is from 1983 and was available at the same time the SQ30 was sold. It has roughly the same look as the SQ30, but is in a slightly smaller case and has a blue dial and bezel. The watch is in great shape with some minor wear & tear - there are some knicks in the bezel but the case and crystal are nearly scratch free. It is all original (including the original nylon dive strap). I havent sent it to Chronoserv in a while but a few months ago when I dug it out I took it to a local master watchsmith who inspected it, cleaned the movement, and pressure tested it to 20 atms- it passed with flying colors. It has a screwdown crown, a precision 17 jewel automatic swiss movement, and a quickchange calandar (date only). If you have some interest (or anyone else reading this) send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#13 Post by Dakota Ellison »

Thanks for the extra info, Jake. The strap you see in the pic is rubber, by the way.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Jake »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Thanks for the extra info, Jake. The strap you see in the pic is rubber, by the way.
I didn't figure your band to be rubber given the patern. Maybe it is original afterall? What kind of clasp does it have?

I have looked at a lot of pics/stills of Magnum wearing his SQ30 and even though it is pretty easy to tell what watch he had it was always difficult to tell if his strap was nylon or rubber. Here is a link to one of the better Magnum SQ30 close-up pics. Maybe you have the same band?

http://watchesinmovies.info/tv/magnum-p-i-1980-1988/

Sebastian Sabre
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Sebastian Sabre »

I'm pretty sure Selleck wore the type of strap pictured above at one point.

The link for the pic of him checking his watch is (IMO) a waterproof leather strap that I have also noticed in some scenes of the early seasons!

I would think that with all of the swimming he did, the strap had to be replaced a number of times! :D