Magnum's Sunglasses - Update - Found!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's Sunglasses - Update - Found!

#1 Post by Danno »

Hi guys, I've been searching and searching for glasses that are as close as possible to Magnum's brown plastic sports aviators.

I think I've found a very close match, but I'm still not sure if they're exactly the same pair.

These are Vuarnet Skilynx Aciers...

Does anyone know which brand they actually were?
Last edited by Danno on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Magnum T. »

I can't help you about the brand but those you have found look pretty close to me!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

bells
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by bells »

They do look close. I just got Magnums other aviators. Purchased the Ray Ban Shooters. They are awsome. My kids got quite the kick out of them.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Danno »

How cool are the sharp shooters?! :D
Not your normal aviators!

These sports aviators are sending me crazy though. I have a hunch they could have been Ralph Lauren sunglasses, but can't seem to find anything in vintage stores online.

Felix Fong
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Felix Fong »

Ray Ban has a new pair that look like those.
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/p ... um=organic

I can't tell what color Thomas's frames are, but the Ray Bans come in Red Purple Black and Tortoise. They run from $129-$179. I tried a pair of the tortoise ones on today at Macy's, and they are great! Unfortunately they were the polarized version, and were priced at $179.
Last edited by Felix Fong on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I had a pair of Ray Ban Aviators at one point, but I have no idea what happened to them. I wear Ray Ban's now, but they are a sliimmer model than the aviators.

Felix Fong
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by Felix Fong »

I've looked at the screen grabs from Mac's Back, and some other episodes where Thomas wears these glasses, but still can't tell for sure what color the frames are. I will say of all the ones at Macy's, the the nicest were the tortoise.
I also found these:
They are by Marc Jacobs, and are a virtual match to the Ray Bans. They are running $98.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

Guys, I think I've 100% settled this- at long last!

They are Vuarnets. Made in France and long since discontinued. You can find pairs occasionally on eBay or vintage stores online. Apparently Vuarnet were big in the 80's.

I've watched a lot of episodes now just watching the glasses to be doubly sure and looked at literally thousands of pairs online.

They're mirrored lenses on the outside and yellow to look though. The frames are brown plastic and they have bulbous ends on the arms. They especially have little gold squares on either side- a detail very few models have.

What do you think?
Last edited by Danno on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by steveadl »

They look pretty similar to me - the gold squares make me think they would be the ones, unless that was popular at the time as well? I would assume it would be a brand thing, perhaps even with the initial in the gold square.

Not a fan of the 'old lady strings' TM has attached to them in the photos thought!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Those look pretty close to me. But the little squares seem to be set back a bit further on the arm in the ones you found. I totally remember how popular Vuarnets were back in the '80s. I had a red pair with the neck string he has in that photo. They are so dated now, but the brown ones still look cool. Great lenses for skiing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Magnum T. »

I think you got them!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice work Dan! :)

Is Skilynx Aciers the model? Or is that the lense type?

Did Magnum ever use Ray Ban Aviator Shooters? Or the Carrera Sport-Style Aviator Sunglasses?
steveadl wrote:Not a fan of the 'old lady strings' TM has attached to them in the photos thought!
This is a necessary accessory for a P.I. like Magnum. You wouldn't want your favorite shades to fall off and get stepped on during brawls with various henchmen and goons, now would you? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by only looking »

Congrats on your score! It's a great feeling when you do the research and come up with something at the end. I collect props and sometimes it's amazing how long the little/simpilest things can take to find...if ever. I believe Magnum's shooter glasses were Raybans..I believe the case they come in also adds to them being Raybans.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#14 Post by N1095A »

Hi Guys, Just had a chance to check in, and saw this thread. I always wondered what brand TM's plastic glasses were. Another mystery solved!

James, TM wore the Ray Ban Shooters 62mm With gold frmes, and green lenses.
In season 8 he wore a pair of Ray Ban Shooters with brown lenses and brown sweat bar.
I believe these were either the Ray Ban "Leathers" or "Precious Metals" edition. The only other sunglasses I ever saw TM wear (other than the Vuarnets) were the goggles he wore on the surf ski (with side shields).
I have never been able to identify those. It looks like the bridge and side shields are brown leather, and the cable temples are white.

To the best of my knowledge he never wore the Carreras.

I assumed the brown Ray Ban Shooters replaced the gold/green ones that got broken in "Solo Flight", but the green/gold ones appeared again in "Infinity And Jelly Doughnuts". Another interesting thing, they must have broken more than one pair for "Solo Flight". In the picture Golf took, the left lense is broken, and the bottom half is missing. In the episode, the left lense is broken, but the left side of the left lense is missing.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Danno »

N1095A is right. TM never wore Carreras.
I think those Season 8 Ray Bans are something like these ones;
http://solarisvintage.wordpress.com/200 ... unglasses/

James, I'm not exactly sure if there's a difference between the lense type or the model. Seems there's blue frames as well that were available.
I figured out enough to know that the version TM sports are the earlier model of the Aciers- later models have initials in place of the gold square.