The screen used camo hat is up for grabs again

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

The screen used camo hat is up for grabs again

#1 Post by only looking »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnum-PI-Screen-Us ... 4149fa29a2

Saw this today...anyone got an extra $2K plus lying around?
It made me do it Higgins!!!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MaximRecoil »

There's something to be said for owning the actual screen-worn hat, but not $2,500 worth of things to be said IMO.

I don't get the willingness to spend ridiculous amounts of money on screen-used items anyway, unless the item has an inherent value somewhere near the asking price.

I guess that's not as outrageous as John Schneider's personal General Lee (I don't even know if it was screen-used, but it had been restored so it wasn't in the same condition anymore even if it was screen-used) selling for ten million dollars :!: on eBay (the second most expensive car ever auctioned). Incredible. That's probably more money than he made over the course of 7 seasons acting on the show in the first place. If I were him, my new occupation would be restoring and selling "personal" General Lees.

The funny thing is, even if it was a screen-used car that had been restored, it would have been an unimportant one at best (a stunt car possibly; there were over 300 of them used; most of them destroyed). There are only 3 important General Lees (the original one used in the first episode and the two main "hero" cars used for most of the series), and those are accounted for (i.e., the one Schneider sold was not one of them). The guy who owns the two hero cars did the right thing IMO; he left them in exactly the same condition as when the series ended.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

So this person bought the hat a few months ago for around $700 dollars (correct?) and now wants to sell it for $2,500? Is that right? If so, I don't like the sound of that at all. Sounds like it wasn't bought by a fan, but by someone who hoped to make a (357%!) profit, and thus make a true fan pay dearly.

Am I missing something? Does my viewpoint seem reasonable? I'm doubting that the hat will sell for that price anyway. They just had an auction 20+ years after the show ended, and the price the bidders set revealed the market price for this item. How could the price be expected to jump 357% in a matter of months?

And it seems that our research is being used as well, in regard to which episodes this hat likely appeared in.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by only looking »

rubber chicken wrote:So this person bought the hat a few months ago for around $700 dollars (correct?) and now wants to sell it for $2,500? Is that right? If so, I don't like the sound of that at all. Sounds like it wasn't bought by a fan, but by someone who hoped to make a (357%!) profit, and thus make a true fan pay dearly.

Am I missing something? Does my viewpoint seem reasonable? I'm doubting that the hat will sell for that price anyway. They just had an auction 20+ years after the show ended, and the price the bidders set revealed the market price for this item. How could the price be expected to jump 357% in a matter of months?

And it seems that our research is being used as well, in regard to which episodes this hat likely appeared in.

What he said.. :)
It made me do it Higgins!!!

hendrix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by hendrix »

Hey Guys & Girls

First, this is my Hat and I Love It! My Price is High because I don't really want to sell it and I am only selling it for another piece ( Honestly don't care if it sell or not ), I own a Da Nang Screen Used Hat as well it cost me $2500 but that hat can't be matched up like this one. It is Rarely a True find that can be Matched up on Screen Perfect in Many Episodes as well. So if there is a True fan with some cash they will see the Value in this piece.

I didn't use your research either I did my own not that I don't appreciate this Forum and the Great work that it does. I am a Huge Magnum Fan and have a Great collection as well. So people my not see why you would spend this kind of cash on just a Hat but this is Not Just a Hat it is a Piece of TV History from one of the Best Show Ever and like fine art will go up in Value it is already 28 years old. I did spend less on it but let's face it I Got a Deal! After that auction ended I was offered $1600 for it Immediately. I put money in a Case to display it so I feel it is Worth the Price to the Collector who really wants a True Hero Thomas Magnum Item! Hope this help? :lol:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#6 Post by SelleckLover »

Even if I was independently wealthy, I would never spend $2500 on a hat! But Hendrix is entitled to sell his hat for whatever price he wants. Who knows, maybe the hat is worth $2500 to someone out there. I once sold a pair of sneakers on eBay for $700, so you never know! :D

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

I once sold a pair of sneakers on eBay for $700, so you never know!
:shock: Really???
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I wouldn't question the asking price, rather someone that would pay that for a hat. Hendrix, I hope you get your money, and if someone has that kind of money laying around for a hat I hope they enjoy it.

SelleckLover

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Carmen wrote:
Shocked Really???
Yep! Really. Every time I tell someone that, they want to know if the sneakers were gold plated or something! (LOL) The truth of the matter is that someone that lives in my apartment building passed away and he owned a huge sports memorabilia collection. His wife wanted to sell the stuff on eBay to get some $$ and get rid of the stuff but she didn't know how to sell on eBay. I told her I would sell her things for her, as I had quite a lot of positive feedback and no negative feedback. The collection contained approximately 20 pair of basketball shoes all made by Nike. Now, Nike likes to do something called "retro-ing" a popular shoe from the past. That requires that they re-manufacture a "retired" shoe for sales to the public. These sneakers were an extremely popular pair of Air Jordans from 1999 that had never been "retro-ed". They were packaged in a brushed silver metal suit-case with rounded edges that was filled with egg-crate foam with cut-outs to fit the shoes into. There was also a CD with Michael Jordan's "favorite music." I did no research on these shoes so like an idiot I started them out at $29.95. The next day when I went to check my auction the bids were up to $450! It stayed that way for a week and in the last 5 minutes of the auction it went up to $700 and some change. Yikes! Was I surprised?!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Maybe I should have kept some of my old Nike's from the 80's.

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

WOW
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

Carmen wrote:
WOW
Yeah! The $$$ I received for the sale was approximately $175-$185 or so. (I can't remember the exact amount.) I also sold an autographed baseball (Don Drysdale) for $450 that same week. :D

Felix Fong
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by Felix Fong »

Ended Oct, 28 with no bids. Imagine that.