question on identifying ammo box

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

question on identifying ammo box

#1 Post by only looking »

I've been trying to find and actually use and/or collect cheapier less known Magnum props that I can ly around the house and I know it's a tough question but this is for the gun nuts on this forum. In the episode "Way of the stalking horse" Magnum grabs 2 clips and a box of 45 ammo and puts it into his duffel bag..you can see it latter in the hotel. I know it has tape on it like the Hormel chilli and the red man chewing tobacco..but man that red box with the blue band across it is so familar..can't quite make it out, but I think it might be Federal hi-power brand..can't tell...anyone?
It made me do it Higgins!!!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the box.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

N1095A

#3 Post by N1095A »

After scouring the 'net looking at hundreds of ammo boxes of all shapes and sizes, this is the closest I've been able to come by. Taking into account the fact it looks like the MPI box has a slight bend (dip) in the top this has to be it. I figure they put a piece of tape beside the light colored stripe to hide the "Federal" brand name.

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

Here's a side by side comparison of the two boxes. At least as best as I can with the blurry MPI screen grab.
Keep in mind the box on the left is .357, so it is slightly thicker. It looks like a piece of tape covering the "Federal" name (making 3 stripes instead of 2) is the only difference.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by only looking »

Well Mike, looks like my guessing was right. Thanks for tracking that down. You are a private investigator first rate. :D I tell you though..for personal defense..use powerball. They are great. Feed like full metal jackets but the damage of a hollowpoint.

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

For personal defense I prefer the Glock 29 (compact 10mm)
with Winchester SXT ammo.
The SXT is the infamous Black Talon with a more socially acceptable name. They can be tough to find in 10mm, but I have a bit of a stockpile of them. If I need ammo, and can't find the SXTs my second choice is Cor Bons.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by only looking »

Great weapon and excellent ammo!! :D

N1095A

#8 Post by N1095A »

I have always been impressed with it. When I was a Deputy Sheriff our department was small, and poorly funded. We had to buy most of our own equipment including a firearm. I chose the Glock 20 (which I still have) and quickly became very impressed with both the Glock, and the 10 mm round. Later when Glock came out with the compact 29, Diana and I both adopted that for concealed carry as it is much easier to conceal and carry without losing the punch of the 10mm or the quality of the Glock. I tell ya' whoever came up with the "Glock Perfection" logo wasn't far off. I've owned dozens of different handguns, automatics and revolvers, and the Glocks are by far my favorite.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by only looking »

it appear that they put tape even on the ends of the boxes as well..if it says Federal it's got tape over it. I'd say they used the black electrical tape, and then on the redman chewing tobacco and the hormel chilli they used the red tape. Quick fix on the prop department. Instead of fabricating a whole new prop, just take an existing one and doctor it up. I remember a movie once..can't remember what it was, but there was a pepsi can that didn't say Pepsi and the logo was more closer to the yin and yang symbol than anything. l

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Higgy_baby »

A Glock. Oh My GOD Magnum!

I always preferred a Webley-Fosbery, as I once used on Jerry at El Alamein, or was that Tobruk. Nevertheless the unique Fosbery has all the advantages of an automatic, but retains one trait of the revolver, useful for one in your supposed PI profession. It leaves no messy casings around for Five-0 to take to forensics.

All of my sidearms must be stamped BNP (British Nitro Proof) in steel. Anything less in Austrian Plastic would be uncivilized. :wink: