What is your "underdog" episode

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

What is your "underdog" episode

#1 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I watched and reviewed the fourth season's 'Let the Crime Fit the Punishment' this evening - one of my favourite episodes of the season, but one that doesn't seem to get commented on all that much.

Which led me to thinking...
What is your "underdog" episode - as in, which episode, neither best nor worst of the show's run, is a personal favourite of yours, but seems to be overlooked by others?

I think mine would have to be the first season's 'Beauty Knows No Pain'. I love it because it has some really funny moments, and is great to see Magnum being put through his paces, as he solves the mystery while competing in the Iron Man contest. Yet others don't seem to really like / notice this one.

What's yours?
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

"On Face Value", followed closely by "Innocence... A Broad".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by DarCA »

Paniolo - I love to see Tom Selleck riding a horse

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

Jay,

Great question but there are too many for me to name. Most of the episodes hit this mark for me. There are only a few that are really stinkers, only a few that are the absolute best, and the rest are the ones you are speaking of.

Cheers.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

China Doll - the second episode, or if you will, the first "regular" episode of the MPI run.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Frodoleader wrote:China Doll - the second episode, or if you will, the first "regular" episode of the MPI run.
That's mine as well. From "Hi, Ho!" to "Watch his eyes, he blinks before he strikes" to me it captures what the show is about, the humor, TM's voiceovers, the action and the bond between the guys.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Jaybird
Admiral

#7 Post by Jaybird »

Interesting that you mentioned "China Doll" as I watched this episode again only last week! I certainly could cast my "underdog" vote for this episode. It contains all the elements that would serve to make future "Magnum" episodes successful yet this particular episode is seldom mentioned as anyone's favorite. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, I will add, as I make my way through Season 1 (for the second time through in it's entirety) I am beginning to sense that this season might be one of my personal favorites.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Miss Q »

I vote for "Beauty Knows No Pain" for 1 reason.

When TM gets out of the ocean, he changes into his shorts right on the beach while TC holds his towel..... :oops:

What can I say, my imagination goes into overdriver every time I see the clip.... :shock:
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

DarCA wrote:Paniolo - I love to see Tom Selleck riding a horse
I believe to this day that that episode was conceived for the sole purpose of putting TS in a western. I did enjoy it though.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

I always liked Murder 101.

The plot is a little chintzy, but its a fun episode.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Squeeze Play and One Last Summer for the sports aspects.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Either Limited Engagement or The Hotel Dick.......I love them both as light entertainment with a lot of humor.......

gmt16750
Captain

#13 Post by gmt16750 »

i just saw it and remembered of this thread!
Computer date (2-14) with Higgins' training to recover his trim (his betrothed comes to see him after many decades) is my underdog. When you read Hillerman's interviews and you know how much he ever disliked having any form of physical activity, this episode gets even more tasty :lol:
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Carmen
MPI

#14 Post by Carmen »

'Skin deep' - the one I always watch when I don`t have time for more than one episode
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Jaybird
Admiral

#15 Post by Jaybird »

Carmen,

I saw your post for "Skin Deep" and watched it again. It was excellent. It seems the writers planned on having MPI run for more than one season as they used this episode to develop TM's character. It brings in alot of his days in the 'Nam and all the stress it caused. I don't believe anyone knew of PTSD back then. Same experiences. Hard to work through it.
What turned alot of guys onto this show, as Vietnam ended only a few years back, were TMs war memories and the close friends he made there. "China Beach" gets credited for being the first series to deal with Vietnam vets but it really way MPI! What is neat, you finish Season 8 and start over and you compare a somewhat immature TM with the a different guy 8 years later.

So, truly this is a great 'underdog' episode. The only thing lacking is the great intro that began in Season 2. I am sure that I'll come up with other great underdogs!