Defective Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

Defective Magnum

#1 Post by Shermy »

Has anyone else had trouble with their dvds skipping badly during certain episodes? Apparently, this was a common problem with the first four seasons, mainly because of the approach used by Universal (ie. dvd-18s; too many episodes per disc).

I was somewhat fortunate, in that only a handful really gave me any trouble. And even then, the episodes were still watchable (for the most part).

But did anyone bother to exchange/replace their defective discs, and if so, did it correct the problem? I'm also curious if Universal will eventually re-issue the first four seasons as single-discs, although I doubt it.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#2 Post by Waltstasz »

I had some problems on the earlier seasons. I replaced season 1 and the second set was fine. I had to replace another season (2 or 3, I don't remember) a couple of times before they would work right. It was frustrating. :(

I haven't had any problems with the last few sets though.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

You know, I've been really lucky with the DVDs. I really havn't had any problems at all, with any discs, but I sure know a lot of people who have.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Danno »

Yep, my Season 3 which I got in the States has been defective. All the Seasons printed in Australia are single sided discs and have been fine- since the US printed seasons have become single sided discs, I've found they've been alright. I think there's a lot of complaints about Season 2 & 3 on Amazon.com
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Vanity »

My season 5 has some trouble sometimes. It's not really defective, but some scenes sort of freeze for a split second. I wonder if that's not where they broke the commercials in in the US ?
Besides this incident, all runs smoothly...so far :)
I know what you're thinking...

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

Vanity wrote:It's not really defective, but some scenes sort of freeze for a split second.
It sounds like you are describing a layer change, which is pretty common with a lot of dvd players. Basically, it's just the machine pausing while it accesses the next layer. Unless it's happening multiple times on the same disc, it's perfectly normal.

The skipping referred to earlier is far more distracting. The disc will freeze, stutter, and sometimes skip ahead several minutes. It's like there's a portion of the disc that the machine can't read, even though the disc may appear to be in perfect condition.

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Vanity »

Shermy, thanks for the expalanation.
Well, in this case, I've lucky so far not to have any trouble with my MPI series. Then again, mine are all European versions:
Season 1&5 from UK
Season 2 from France
Season 3&4 The Netherlands
Season 6 is not released yet...can't wait to be May 7th....thanks to Amazon UK, or else it will be even later in France & the rest of Europe.
I know what you're thinking...

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

I had some problems within specific episodes from season 2 & 3, but I didn't keep track of which ones. It was usually during a "Magnumthon" so instead of toughing it out, I skipped to the next episode.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have been lucky to not have any problems. I hope it will stay that way.