40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#901 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I think my favorite thing about the episode is watching how quickly Punky...err... Higgy changes his perception of Earl Giannelli. In about a span of a minute Punk... err.. Higg... goes from loathing Earl (for skipping rope on his precious flower bed) to absolutely being honored to have him as his guest. And all because he finally found someone to reminisce with and recount old war stories to. Someone who will actually listen to him and understand/care what he's babbling about. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#902 Post by T.Q. »

November 25th, 1982

No Episode: Thanksgiving Break

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#903 Post by eagle »

Interesting, because they sometimes had a show on Christmas Eve.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#904 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:52 pm November 25th, 1982

No Episode: Thanksgiving Break

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#905 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:59 pm
Slam Dunk!

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#906 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 am I think my favorite thing about the episode is watching how quickly Punky...err... Higgy changes his perception of Earl Giannelli. In about a span of a minute Punk... err.. Higg... goes from loathing Earl (for skipping rope on his precious flower bed) to absolutely being honored to have him as his guest. And all because he finally found someone to reminisce with and recount old war stories to. Someone who will actually listen to him and understand/care what he's babbling about. :lol:
It’s a great scene, my favorite of the episode. I also like how Earl doesn’t immediately step out of the flower bed like TM after Higgins rant and there is a pause as Higgins stares at him waiting before Magnum says something. In addition to Punky, we get to hear about Corky Bostwick “The One-legged Limey, and Percy “Puddinhead” Eldridge… and a camel! :lol: Fantastic writing!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#907 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:04 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 am I think my favorite thing about the episode is watching how quickly Punky...err... Higgy changes his perception of Earl Giannelli. In about a span of a minute Punk... err.. Higg... goes from loathing Earl (for skipping rope on his precious flower bed) to absolutely being honored to have him as his guest. And all because he finally found someone to reminisce with and recount old war stories to. Someone who will actually listen to him and understand/care what he's babbling about. :lol:
It’s a great scene, my favorite of the episode. I also like how Earl doesn’t immediately step out of the flower bed like TM after Higgins rant and there is a pause as Higgins stares at him waiting before Magnum says something. In addition to Punky, we get to hear about Corky Bostwick “The One-legged Limey, and Percy “Puddinhead” Eldridge… and a camel! :lol: Fantastic writing!
TM?

Oh, you mean...

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#908 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:01 pm
Slam Dunk!

That was one thing that stumped me about the character. He played baseball, softball, football, basketball, was a swimmer, scuba diver, surf skier, triathlon athlete, sprinter, bed race participant, and the list goes on. However, the one sport he didn't play was hockey. Tom Selleck's favorite sport is hockey. I'm sure that the show's writers could have come up with the Club Kamehameha Kings semi-professional hockey league (Selleck's favorite team is the LA Kings). I'm sure Higgins would have been in charge of the Anglo-Hawaiian Society of the Origins of Ice Hockey on Maui. Of course, he would have turned down the team's chairmanship because the sport was 'too bloody American'.

And, with regards to baseball, I'm sure this has been brought up since it was 2017, but I just came across it:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 682321001/

Pahonu

#909 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:58 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:01 pm
Slam Dunk!

That was one thing that stumped me about the character. He played baseball, softball, football, basketball, was a swimmer, scuba diver, surf skier, triathlon athlete, sprinter, bed race participant, and the list goes on. However, the one sport he didn't play was hockey. Tom Selleck's favorite sport is hockey. I'm sure that the show's writers could have come up with the Club Kamehameha Kings semi-professional hockey league (Selleck's favorite team is the LA Kings). I'm sure Higgins would have been in charge of the Anglo-Hawaiian Society of the Origins of Ice Hockey on Maui. Of course, he would have turned down the team's chairmanship because the sport was 'too bloody American'.

And, with regards to baseball, I'm sure this has been brought up since it was 2017, but I just came across it:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 682321001/
I’ve followed Selleck’s career since the 80’s when the series was still running. I know he played basketball at USC, was a huge Tigers fan reflected in the character’s wardrobe, and was also a big volleyball fan. In fact, during the 1984 Olympics, I saw him at the Long Beach Sports Arena at a volleyball game my parents got tickets to. Local citizens couldn’t select sports to watch, but were rather entered into a lottery for random tickets. My family got to see volleyball and swimming. It was still exciting and spotting Selleck was even more so. Interestingly, I’ve never heard of any involvement by him with football, which was part of his character’s college background. The other thing I’ve never heard is that his favorite sport is hockey. Where did you read it was his favorite sport?

Perhaps he has become a fan recently, but I can say with great certainty that hockey was NOT popular in SoCal in the 80’s. My parents are Canadian and my father would take me to the Forum in Inglewood to see his favorite Canadiens play the Kings in the 70’s and 80’s. The arena was half empty and the Kings were horrible. When they signed Gretzky from Edmonton, people started paying more attention, and then the Ducks were formed. However, all of that was after MPI went off the air. Hawaii would seemingly have even less interest in the game. I wonder if they even have skating rinks there. There are still very few in SoCal, it’s just such a big sports market that a professional team is almost inevitable.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

usc1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#910 Post by usc1 »

Selleck I think played volleyball as well at SC. I know his son played on the USC volleyball team as I would see him at the games on campus all the time.

Pahonu

#911 Post by Pahonu »

usc1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 pm Selleck I think played volleyball as well at SC. I know his son played on the USC volleyball team as I would see him at the games on campus all the time.
I don’t think he could have played volleyball at SC. Men’s volleyball only started as an NCAA sport in 1970 and he left SC in 1967. I did just recently learn that he also pitched on their baseball team. That would also conflict with playing volleyball as both are spring sports in the NCAA.

That’s interesting about his son playing. I didn’t know that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#912 Post by T.Q. »

Just because we’re talking hockey and Hawai’i. :lol:

https://www.icepalacehawaii.com/hockey

Pahonu

#913 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:08 am Just because we’re talking hockey and Hawai’i. :lol:

Not a dig, as I have commented on my Canadian parentage here more than once, but it states clearly that one of their goals is to develop hockey in Hawaii. It’s clearly not yet a popular sport there. Ice hockey had a bit of a moment here in SoCal as a youth sport about 20 years ago but has since waned. This is completely unrelated to professional sports, however.

The more recent trend has been lacrosse in the last ten years or so. In fact, a good friend of mine from New York established a very popular and profitable youth league here. Also, high schools are beginning to establish teams. I don’t know if this will last either, but it is part of the sports scene. I remember a bit of a rugby moment many years ago too. It didn’t last either. I’m wondering if any of these will stick.

The last new sport to take off in the state based on high school participation and sanctioning by the state CIF board was girls water polo about 20 years ago. I actually was part of the previous new sport sanctioning in the state back in the late 80’s when boys volleyball became a CIF sport. I love to see new sports and participation in them with my students, but many haven’t survived.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#914 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 am
T.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:08 am Just because we’re talking hockey and Hawai’i. :lol:

Not a dig, as I have commented on my Canadian parentage here more than once, but it states clearly that one of their goals is to develop hockey in Hawaii. It’s clearly not yet a popular sport there. Ice hockey had a bit of a moment here in SoCal as a youth sport about 20 years ago but has since waned. This is completely unrelated to professional sports, however.

The more recent trend has been lacrosse in the last ten years or so. In fact, a good friend of mine from New York established a very popular and profitable youth league here. Also, high schools are beginning to establish teams. I don’t know if this will last either, but it is part of the sports scene. I remember a bit of a rugby moment many years ago too. It didn’t last either. I’m wondering if any of these will stick.

The last new sport to take off in the state based on high school participation and sanctioning by the state CIF board was girls water polo about 20 years ago. I actually was part of the previous new sport sanctioning in the state back in the late 80’s when boys volleyball became a CIF sport. I love to see new sports and participation in them with my students, but many haven’t survived.
I was simply responding to - "I wonder if they even have skating rinks there." :wink:

Whether it's popular or not is another matter.

I can see public skating being popular on hot summer Hawaiian days.

https://www.icepalacehawaii.com/virtual-tour

Ice Hockey probably mostly Ha‘ole who moved to Hawai'i from cold States though.
Hard to imagine little keiki in a Kamehameha school begging to play ice hockey.

Pahonu

#915 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:36 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 am

I was simply responding to - "I wonder if they even have skating rinks there." :wink:

Whether it's popular or not is another matter.

I can see public skating being popular on hot summer Hawaiian days.

https://www.icepalacehawaii.com/virtual-tour

Ice Hockey probably mostly Ha‘ole who moved to Hawai'i from cold States though.
Hard to imagine little keiki in a Kamehameha school begging to play ice hockey.
Gotcha! :D
We know now there’s at least one. :lol:

I think there are actually fewer ice rinks in SoCal than when I was younger. I recall the closure of several. Temporary rinks have become popular though during the holiday season.

Totally unrelated, but it reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about the number of golf course closings around the US in the last decade. It was a surprisingly large percentage, though I don’t recall the number. The industry is struggling to attract enough younger players to offset the retirees as they pass on.

Many sports go through waves of popularity it seems. I also recall reading an article at least 25-30 years ago by a long-time sports writer for the LA Times who was retiring. This was in the early 90’s and he had been writing since the early 50’s, I believe, maybe a little earlier. Anyway, he commented that when he was a cub reporter in the sports department the big sports were baseball, boxing, and horse racing!

As the new guy he reported mostly on college and pro football and basketball, but not the bowl games. These are some of the most popular now! That was so strange to read in the 90’s and maybe more so today, but when he started there was no Super Bowl yet and college football was more popular. The NCAA tournament had like 8 teams and the NBA was very new. Would boxing or horse racing even make it into the top 10 today? or 20???

Edit: interesting article on the topic from just a few years ago.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2014/0 ... /12587687/