40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#91 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:24 pm As far as the story itself, a good beginning and a good ending, but I find the middle scenes at Erin’s house start to drag. The episode spends a long time there and starts to feel a bit static to me.
Those middle scenes with TM at Erin's house are actually my favorite scenes in the episode. Definitely my favorite "Magnum investigates" moment of the series. There's something very intimate about it here, unlike his typical snooping around that he does. I think it's because he begins to develop some kind of bond with this deceased woman that gives it an extra edge. TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house. Also the way the house is dimly lit works really well with the darker subject matter, giving off a certain film-noir vibe. Big fan of the episode and definitely a top 5 for the season.

I love this trio of darker episodes (as was already mentioned here) - "No Need to Know", "Skin Deep", "Never Again... Never Again". So early in the series we get such 3 stellar episodes! MPI certainly hit the ground running.
The trio are definitely solid episodes and dark, but only one would make my top five for season 1, my favorite. I still somehow tend to pass this one up more than the other two and I associate the episode with the Vietnam elements more than anything else. Perhaps Bellisario was just too good with those scenes because they stick in my head more than the plot generally. Maybe that’s also because Vietnam was almost a taboo topic when I first watched. That element, and the cameraman’s death, which is obviously tragic and memorable, stick with me most.

I can certainly see a bit of the film noir feel, and it is very reminiscent of Preminger’s Laura in terms of plot, as I remember you have written about. To me though, film noir is so much about photographic style and I think the opening scene captured that somewhat, but more so than other scenes. The dimly lit house is noirish (a word?) but I think I might just be struggling with the concept of MPI noir overall. It’s not why I’m drawn to the show I suspect. I don’t care much for the Murder By Night episode either, though I do like Past Tense.

The voice-over is good, and much better than many other episodes in that it does more than just advance the plot, it gives us emotional insight. In this episode it’s absolutely crucial, because TM is developing a relationship of sorts with Erin, as you said, but it’s through the video tapes. Maybe that’s a harder sell for me than dialogue between actors, I’m not certain, but the voice over here is definitely solid while it’s very hit and miss in other episodes.

It’s not in my top 5, that would include (only in chronological order) the pilot, China Doll, No Need to Know, Lest We Forget, and J Digger Doyle, but it would be in the top half for the season. What are your top five?
My season 1 top 5 would be:

1. Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii - one of the series absolute best!!
2. No Need to Know
3. Never Again... Never Again
4. Skin Deep
5. J. Digger Doyle

Honorable mentions: "Don't Say Goodbye" and "Lest We Forget".

"China Doll" has risen in my rankings but still isn't ready for "prime time" yet. :) "Thicker Than Blood" has also improved for me. I even like "Missing in Action", which I understand isn't a favorite. I kinda like the story and Rebecca Holden (Knight Rider) is a total babe!! "The Black Orchid" I actually used to like more. It's still good but has dropped a bit. "Adelaide" I never liked and never will, I'm afraid. Probably my least favorite of the season.

Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:23 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house.
Hey Ivan, if you’re a fan of good voice over narration as you describe here, I suggest the series Harry-O with David Janssen. I know I’ve told you about it before, but many critics consider it some of the best voice over ever used in television. Janssen’s voice is so world-weary and his comments are so reflective that one mystery author, Max Allen Collins, called it poetic. The first half of the first season is fantastic, and what follows is still very well done.
Yep, it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm a big fan of private eye shows - from MANNIX to ROCKFORD to MPI. The 70s is my favorite decade for cop/detective shows and this one sounds right up my alley. I didn't care for THE FUGITIVE but HARRY-O sounds like the thing for me. He even sounds like Rockford - hobbling around, avoiding confrontations, things not going smoothly for him. An anti-hero type.

I checked and Netflix doesn't have it (was hoping to rent the DVDs) and it's not online anywhere. Don't think I want to spend money just yet to buy the first season. Busy with many other things at the moment.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#93 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:23 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house.
Hey Ivan, if you’re a fan of good voice over narration as you describe here, I suggest the series Harry-O with David Janssen. I know I’ve told you about it before, but many critics consider it some of the best voice over ever used in television. Janssen’s voice is so world-weary and his comments are so reflective that one mystery author, Max Allen Collins, called it poetic. The first half of the first season is fantastic, and what follows is still very well done.
Yep, it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm a big fan of private eye shows - from MANNIX to ROCKFORD to MPI. The 70s is my favorite decade for cop/detective shows and this one sounds right up my alley. I didn't care for THE FUGITIVE but HARRY-O sounds like the thing for me. He even sounds like Rockford - hobbling around, avoiding confrontations, things not going smoothly for him. An anti-hero type.

I checked and Netflix doesn't have it (was hoping to rent the DVDs) and it's not online anywhere. Don't think I want to spend money just yet to buy the first season. Busy with many other things at the moment.
It’s nothing like The Fugitive. I do think you’d like it based on what you said. I bought the DVD’s several years ago and even then it was via a Warner Bros. made to order program, so they weren’t on the shelf ready to ship and not at all cheap. It has proven surprisingly absent on streaming services also, as I check every once in a while on our services. The last time I remember seeing it aired on TV was a cable channel I don’t recall, but I do remember they also showed The Persuaders which I watched. That’s an elusive one too. I’m thinking it was about 15 years ago. Two other brief series I have found after much searching were City of Angels with Wayne Rogers and Richie Brockleman, Private Eye with Dennis Dugan, both detective series from the 70’s. I think the total for both was about 18-20 episodes, but I enjoyed them both.

Pahonu

#94 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:59 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:24 pm As far as the story itself, a good beginning and a good ending, but I find the middle scenes at Erin’s house start to drag. The episode spends a long time there and starts to feel a bit static to me.
Those middle scenes with TM at Erin's house are actually my favorite scenes in the episode. Definitely my favorite "Magnum investigates" moment of the series. There's something very intimate about it here, unlike his typical snooping around that he does. I think it's because he begins to develop some kind of bond with this deceased woman that gives it an extra edge. TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house. Also the way the house is dimly lit works really well with the darker subject matter, giving off a certain film-noir vibe. Big fan of the episode and definitely a top 5 for the season.

I love this trio of darker episodes (as was already mentioned here) - "No Need to Know", "Skin Deep", "Never Again... Never Again". So early in the series we get such 3 stellar episodes! MPI certainly hit the ground running.
The trio are definitely solid episodes and dark, but only one would make my top five for season 1, my favorite. I still somehow tend to pass this one up more than the other two and I associate the episode with the Vietnam elements more than anything else. Perhaps Bellisario was just too good with those scenes because they stick in my head more than the plot generally. Maybe that’s also because Vietnam was almost a taboo topic when I first watched. That element, and the cameraman’s death, which is obviously tragic and memorable, stick with me most.

I can certainly see a bit of the film noir feel, and it is very reminiscent of Preminger’s Laura in terms of plot, as I remember you have written about. To me though, film noir is so much about photographic style and I think the opening scene captured that somewhat, but more so than other scenes. The dimly lit house is noirish (a word?) but I think I might just be struggling with the concept of MPI noir overall. It’s not why I’m drawn to the show I suspect. I don’t care much for the Murder By Night episode either, though I do like Past Tense.

The voice-over is good, and much better than many other episodes in that it does more than just advance the plot, it gives us emotional insight. In this episode it’s absolutely crucial, because TM is developing a relationship of sorts with Erin, as you said, but it’s through the video tapes. Maybe that’s a harder sell for me than dialogue between actors, I’m not certain, but the voice over here is definitely solid while it’s very hit and miss in other episodes.

It’s not in my top 5, that would include (only in chronological order) the pilot, China Doll, No Need to Know, Lest We Forget, and J Digger Doyle, but it would be in the top half for the season. What are your top five?
My season 1 top 5 would be:

1. Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii - one of the series absolute best!!
2. No Need to Know
3. Never Again... Never Again
4. Skin Deep
5. J. Digger Doyle

Honorable mentions: "Don't Say Goodbye" and "Lest We Forget".

"China Doll" has risen in my rankings but still isn't ready for "prime time" yet. :) "Thicker Than Blood" has also improved for me. I even like "Missing in Action", which I understand isn't a favorite. I kinda like the story and Rebecca Holden (Knight Rider) is a total babe!! "The Black Orchid" I actually used to like more. It's still good but has dropped a bit. "Adelaide" I never liked and never will, I'm afraid. Probably my least favorite of the season.
Wow, pretty close to mine. I definitely love the pilot and might rank it my favorite of all. I still have maybe a little sadness that Rick’s club disappeared. I’d only change 3 and 4 to China Doll and Lest We Forget. Never Again, Never Again would be next. I also like Missing in Action more than most, it seems, and almost always skip Adelaide.

Now I’m thinking about my season two favorites! Italian Ice and Dead Man’s Channel are on the list for sure but I’m getting ahead of our watch party. :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#95 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Season one faves for me currently are:
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

Honourable mention to Don’t Say Goodbye (I love seeing Ted Danson play a prick in this one)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#96 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:29 am Season one faves for me currently are:
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

Honourable mention to Don’t Say Goodbye (I love seeing Ted Danson play a prick in this one)
Oops. That fifth one was supposed to be Curse of the KKC.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#97 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Styles,
Beauty Knows No Pain is one I enjoy although I understand many here don’t. Honestly, it’s because my wife has done dozens of triathlons, albeit sprint to mid-distance, not Ironmans. My wife always comments on how the reverse the order of events and mess up the bike leg distance whenever she sees me watching it. But it’s one of the few times she’ll actually comment because detective shows aren’t her thing, AT ALL. She also is pretty annoyed by Marcia Wallace, which it seems many on the forum are. I loved The Bob Newhart Show as a kid and I guess I don’t see the annoyance. It seems to be the biggest complaint about the episode, but it’s a pretty clever mystery and unique storyline in general. Glad to see it on your list.

Pahonu

#98 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:29 am Season one faves for me currently are:
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

Oops. That fifth one was supposed to be Curse of the KKC.
I feel like I should like The Curse of the KKC more than I do because of the surf ski race. I’ve been a paddler for almost 30 years. I also like the Hawaiian culture aspect and loved Gretchen Corbett on The Rockford Files. I do know it’s the only episode of the first season with no episodes at Pahonu. Maybe that’s subliminally influencing me! :lol: I‘ll give it another shot when it comes up here like you did for No Need to Know.

Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

I know a lot of people mention Ted Danson in this and he's good at playing the prick but at the end of the day he's just his usual Ted Danson self. I'm more impressed by Mercedes McCambridge in this one as Agatha. I enjoy her scenes with Magnum and she just has that special "something" in her acting that stands out for me. She's a big reason why I really like this episode. Andrea Marcovicci is also good, as well as her past history with Magnum. I really don't like her playing the spoiled Russian ballerina in season 2's "The Sixth Position" (UGGH!) but in this one she's really good. I always remember the scene of someone pushing Agatha in her wheelchair towards the swimming pool - that scene always stands out in my mind when I think of this episode.

Styles Bitchley

#100 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:37 pm I always remember the scene of someone pushing Agatha in her wheelchair towards the swimming pool - that scene always stands out in my mind when I think of this episode.
Yeah, the first person camera works in the scene. It could have been really hokey, but it works.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#101 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:37 pm
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

I know a lot of people mention Ted Danson in this and he's good at playing the prick but at the end of the day he's just his usual Ted Danson self. I'm more impressed by Mercedes McCambridge in this one as Agatha. I enjoy her scenes with Magnum and she just has that special "something" in her acting that stands out for me. She's a big reason why I really like this episode. Andrea Marcovicci is also good, as well as her past history with Magnum. I really don't like her playing the spoiled Russian ballerina in season 2's "The Sixth Position" (UGGH!) but in this one she's really good. I always remember the scene of someone pushing Agatha in her wheelchair towards the swimming pool - that scene always stands out in my mind when I think of this episode.
Though this isn’t a favorite of mine, Mercedes McCambridge was just a fantastic actress and is excellent here, as usual. I actually had the opportunity to meet her very briefly at a restaurant in La Jolla called the Marine Room back in the 90’s. I had no idea she had retired there. She must have been about 80 and I recognized her at a table and told her how much I enjoyed her work. She seemed a bit surprised to be recognized, but was very appreciative. She had such a distinct look with her wide eyes. My wife had no idea who she was but said she seemed to be a regular there as she heard a server ask if she wanted her usual desert. I think that’s the first time I’ve told that story to anyone because sadly so few seem to know of her. Seeing her on MPI in the 80’s is what got me interested and I borrowed some VHS tapes of her films from the library, Giant and Johnny Guitar.

The restaurant is sort of hidden in the middle of a residential neighborhood but is really unique in that it’s on a low cliff above the sand and has most of its dining room at beach level below. At high enough tides, the water hits the big glass windows. They have lights facing the water to see it all at night. That’s when we went and it was pretty dramatic. They have photos on the upper level going back to the 40’s with some showing when the glass has broken in storms over the years! We’ve only been back once, unfortunately, because it’s quite expensive. I have recommended it highly many times though.

https://www.marineroom.com/

Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:51 pm
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

Though this isn’t a favorite of mine, Mercedes McCambridge was just a fantastic actress and is excellent here, as usual. I actually had the opportunity to meet her very briefly at a restaurant in La Jolla called the Marine Room back in the 90’s. I had no idea she had retired there. She must have been about 80 and I recognized her at a table and told her how much I enjoyed her work. She seemed a bit surprised to be recognized, but was very appreciative. She had such a distinct look with her wide eyes. My wife had no idea who she was but said she seemed to be a regular there as she heard a server ask if she wanted her usual desert. I think that’s the first time I’ve told that story to anyone because sadly so few seem to know of her. Seeing her on MPI in the 80’s is what got me interested and I borrowed some VHS tapes of her films from the library, Giant and Johnny Guitar.

The restaurant is sort of hidden in the middle of a residential neighborhood but is really unique in that it’s on a low cliff above the sand and has most of its dining room at beach level below. At high enough tides, the water hits the big glass windows. They have lights facing the water to see it all at night. That’s when we went and it was pretty dramatic. They have photos on the upper level going back to the 40’s with some showing when the glass has broken in storms over the years! We’ve only been back once, unfortunately, because it’s quite expensive. I have recommended it highly many times though.

That's an interesting story about Mercedes McCambridge. She first got my attention many years ago on an episode of BONANZA called "The Lady from Baltimore". She plays the "lady" of the title who arrives on the Ponderosa with her daughter and tries desperately to marry off her daughter to one of the Cartwrights. Her husband back come is a failure financially (a fact that she conceals) and hopes to turn their fortunes around by marrying into the Cartwright name. She certainly had a unique presence - a somewhat masculine look and voice I thought. Very authoritative in her performances.

Pahonu

#103 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 am
Pahonu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:51 pm
Don’t Eat the Snow
China Doll
Beauty Knows no Pain
J Digger

That's an interesting story about Mercedes McCambridge. She first got my attention many years ago on an episode of BONANZA called "The Lady from Baltimore". She plays the "lady" of the title who arrives on the Ponderosa with her daughter and tries desperately to marry off her daughter to one of the Cartwrights. Her husband back come is a failure financially (a fact that she conceals) and hopes to turn their fortunes around by marrying into the Cartwright name. She certainly had a unique presence - a somewhat masculine look and voice I thought. Very authoritative in her performances.
That Bonanza storyline sounds familiar. I watched a lot of the reruns when I was in high school but that’s been over 30 years. Funny you brought up her voice being masculine. She was the voice of the demon in the original Exorcist! She had a very square face with wide set eyes. I just looked her up on IMDB. The Magnum episode was one of her last but she did work with Selleck earlier in the Sacketts, as his mother. I didn’t remember that. Then she must have retired to La Jolla as it’s not a typical Hollywood haunt being too far from the studios. Dr. Seuss lived there though, and randomly, the designer of my old Columbia 28 sailboat, Bill Crealock. I actually called his home number there once and talked to him. That’s another story and the total of my La Jolla residence knowledge! :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by T.Q. »

Never Again ... Never Again

Has this fizzled out already?

Did I jinx it? :lol:

Anyways, does anyone know why the final scene with Lena is dubbed? It's weird.
Last edited by T.Q. on Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by eagle »

I’m not watching on Friday nights, but I have started another run through the series. Unfortunately it’s while I’m working so I’m not really paying attention. Even so I am reminded of how much I love this series. There are some excellent episodes in season 1.