The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Sam »

James...It was built in 1947 and listed as Shine/Church...The title holder is..Aloha Temple

http://dppweb.honolulu.gov/DPPWeb/defau ... tId=255513

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Sam »

Let's try this...
Last edited by Sam on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#93 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, that is awesome stuff Sam! The "call sheet" is priceless! Thanks for sharing!

Good call on the "Foiled Again" setting! I didn't know the tournament scenes were filmed at the Shriners Beach Club. Heck, I didn't even know the adjoining property WAS the SBC until now! ;)

Here's a screen from the episode. You can just barely make out the guesthouse/boathouse (and wall) in the background:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

eeyore
Admiral

Thanks James and Rubber Chicken

#94 Post by eeyore »

James I have freeze framed several episodes similar to what you have shown me. I wondered if they built some sort of prop inside the door to the actual guest house with the railing so just in case the camera allowed a glimpse inside it would seem to be consistent with the set? i have also FF from the inside looking out and apparently they did something similar on the stage set to simulate the porch. The details are different but close enough to keep the effect. :)
Rubber Chicken OMG!! This is wonderful! I picked up on that building next door and was confused, at first I thought it was the real guesthouse but reading the next few posts understand it is gone now. Anyone else notice the tennis courts were not there "yet"? Must have been built after the Five O days. There was always so much foliage in the Magnum PI shots of the east elevation I could never get a clear shot of that door that opens into the ground level under the stairs. I am so glad I was persistent in asking about this! LOL Never realized the boathouse was in any of the Five O shows. Now I'm tempted to buy the DVD's just for this reason!
This is wonderful, you have made my day!!:)

eeyore
Admiral

Sam

#95 Post by eeyore »

Thanks to you as well. I will check your link when I get home, it is blocked at work.
Mind giving me the link to the post about SC caretaker who hopped on the porch? I have noticed in recent photos of the guest house that it looks like a huge part of the wall to the right of the front door was removed and then filled back in and patched. I can't image what might have been removed from inside that was to big to fit through the door, assuming this is what happened. :)

eeyore
Admiral

SAM???

#96 Post by eeyore »

I see you edited your post with the link and removed it this morning! :( Can you post it again or email it to me privately ? Please?
Last edited by eeyore on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Sam »

eeyore...I was trying to add more pics.I made up the account the other day and now can't remember the name or password..

I'll figure it out...If anyone has the link,please post it.

Ok,got it.

James.the bunker was used in "Past Tense" I'll tell you the location in a couple of days..I'll give RC the chance to find it...
Last edited by Sam on Wed May 14, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeyore
Admiral

Thanks Sam!

#98 Post by eeyore »

Thanks! Can you tell me what the pictures are of the interior of the white room with the people in them? I am having trouble figuring them out.
Did you work on the show or know someone who did? You really knowledgeable. :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Sam »

Hi eeyore,

The pics are from Hawaii Five-O,the last episode.."Woe to Wo Fat"

The pics are not in order,start with the last pic and work backwards.They are pics of the second floor of the Estate.

The pic of the guard by the door is the door to the right from the balcony.

No,no connection to the show,just a fan.

eeyore
Admiral

Sam

#100 Post by eeyore »

Thanks again. :)
I have had this obsession about the guesthouse/boathouse as you can tell.
I looked up the Anderson estate on the Honolulu Tax Assessor website and got the dimensions of the boathouse and some basic info, it is listed as a one bedroom, one bath. The "main" living area is pretty small, about 14' x 22'. It must have been renovated into a studio type space, no way you can get a bath, living room AND bedroom in that small square footage. (But you never know..the gatehouse up at the gate is listed as a 4 bedroom house but it has maybe 1200 SF if I remember correctly.)
It looks like there is a plumbing vent coming out of the roof at the southwest corner, so the bathroom must be on that side, facing the Shriner's Club. Makes sense because the window on that side is small as well. The porch is bigger than the living space!
If I ever win the lottery I'd like to reconstruct the boathouse. I'd have to be fairly creative though because the stageset doesn't really follow the dimensions or exterior of the real building. :)

eeyore
Admiral

Back to James

#101 Post by eeyore »

I just watched Italian Ice yesterday and when Magnum exits the guest house and trips over Katrina on the stairs, there is another good "shot" inside the bosthouse. Same white background, same railing that appears to be a stair leading down. Perhaps the real boathouse had an interior stair so you could go up to the porch without going outside to an exterior stair. Since it is taxed as liveable space and the area is so small, it is odd they would waste precious square footage on an interior stair.
What I wouldn't give to talk to one of the set designers! Hard to beleive on these Forum so few people have shown up that worked on this show. They can't all be "gone". Even if they were in their 40's they'd still be the same age as Selleck. Maybe they lurk and are afraid of getting swamped if they introduce themselves! LOL

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#102 Post by J.J. Walters »

If anyone gets the recently released third season of Hawaii Five-0 on DVD, be sure to check out the episode "The Second Shot" for more footage of the Anderson Estate (circa 1970). Screen Caps are encouraged. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#103 Post by rubber chicken »

I'd get it from the local library but they don't seem to have it yet...

eeyore
Admiral

#104 Post by eeyore »

Regarding that dock in the Five O screen caps.. Can anyone get close enough zooming in to see if the dock is behind the boathouse/guesthouse or at the property next door that seems to have been torn down? It looks like there is something dark behind the boathouse, wall, shadows, foliage? I often wondered the significance of that square rock in the tidal pool, wondering now if it had anything to do with the dock?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by Steve »

If you look at the picture below, you can see where there are some rocks under the water of the tidal pool, probably where the dock was and used for the foundation of the dock. This would indeed line up with the boat house if I remember correctly....
Steve
Chicago