How did you get into Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#91 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dan wrote:Not until the series came out on DVD did I watch it properly. It brought back a lot of good memories of the 1980s... mix this with a genuinely great cast, stunning locations and character driven episodes and you're down the rabbit hole, lost in the Magniverse, exploring Rubber Chicken's guide on Google Earth at 3am.
LOL! :lol:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Coops »

^^ yep, everything you said.

Lately my wife has been joining me when I get my daily fix of MPI. She watched it as a kid but now as an adult she finds it to be much better than she remembered. We were watching PT I of "Did You See The Sunrise?" and when Mac gets killed she was genuinely shocked. This series really is the definition of "timeless". Of course we all know that!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Magnum T. »

Here in Italy the show was aired from 1982 on (I was 9 then), and as far as I recall I became a devoted fan since the first time I saw an episode.
It was my favourite tv-series.
Why? Simple: TM/TS (I wanted to be like him), the 308, the Hawaii.
Obviously there were many other reasons I liked the show for (Higgins, the lads, hot babes, good plots, action, humor, etc...) but those first three were the main ingredients of a successful recipe.
Since then, everytime the show was on air (btw, here it was aired daily), if I was not at school I watched it.
That was a golden era here because a whole bunch of American Tv-series was on air (The A-Team, Wonder Woman, The 6 million dollar man/Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazzard and many others).
Years later I recorded on vhs tapes some MPI episodes, and that was all I had to watch.
Now I own the 8 seasons on DVD so I can watch it when I want/can.
Actually I believe MPI is currently aired here, at 5 a.m.!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by MACattack »

I just got a 40 inch LCD TV. Now I can watch MAGNUM in high definition!
I just don't give a damn!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Magnum T. »

But low definition is much more 80s!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#96 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Just curious. I thought a program had to be filmed in high definition in order to view it in high definition? I'm sur Magnum would look better on high def tv's, but I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by MACattack »

It still looks better. I use to watch the show on a tiny TV, it just didn't do Magnum any justice. Now Tom Selleck looks like a giant!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Magnum T. »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Just curious. I thought a program had to be filmed in high definition in order to view it in high definition? I'm sur Magnum would look better on high def tv's, but I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Actually, the high-def displays lower the perceived quality during the vision of a low-def video because the high-definition "enhance" all the compression artifacts, video noise, etc...
Have you ever noticed that if you look some DVDs on the pc (Pc monitors are HD displays) the video quality appears to be extremely low while the same DVDs look much better if played on a standard DVD player/TV set?
The original material has to be encoded specifically for the HD standard to give the best quality.
And if it is "old" material its conditions have to be perfect (at least very good) to give a good HD output.

Anyway, if MACattack used to look the show on a tiny (maybe old?) Tv, he surely will be happier now than before.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by MACattack »

darn tootin! Some old movies look cheezy on the screen, but MPI looks allright!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#100 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, it's not true HD because the source (the Magnum P.I.) is SD. To be true HD, the source also needs to be HD (i.e. Blu-Ray). However, with an HDTV, an upconverting DVD player, and an HDMI connector, you can watch SD DVDs in a higher resolution with better quality (480i vs. 720p or 1080 p) than a SD TV.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by MACattack »

thanks for the info. I'm glad I don't have to rush out and purchase a blue-ray player. I'll only do this if Universal puts out MPI on blue-ray.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#102 Post by Agatha »

It's been a while since I've posted but want to weigh in on this topic. I'm with Sellecklover and Carman. What first caught my eye...and STILL catches my eye...about Magnum PI was/is Tom Selleck!

I was in my forties when Magnum aired. We didn't have a lot of money...or rather, there wasn't a lot left after my ex did what HE wanted to do with it...so our evenings were spent in front of the television. I can tell you that it's not easy to keep your breathing under control when you're watching Tom Selleck with your husband sitting across the room! :oops:

PS to MacAttack...Tom Selleck IS a giant!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by MACattack »

I believe 8)

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by MACattack »

I think MPI is a show that is timeless, because it has passed through three generations. I used to watch the show back in the 80's with my vet father.
Now, I'm grown up and I watch it with my 5 year old daughter.

mcgarrett11
Ensign

#105 Post by mcgarrett11 »

I enjoyed Magnum P.I. starting around season 7 in the CBS days circa 1986, after I started watching Hawaii Five-0 in syndication repeats. While I liked Magnum P.I. quite a bit and followed it to the end of the series, I didn't seek it out in syndication much. However, I started collecting the DVDs, and after watching the earlier seasons that I hadn't seen before, I really LOVE this show now and have a new appreciation for it.

My favorite thing about it is the sense of fun and adventure that the talented cast brings to each show. My tastes run more towards the lighter, breezier episodes instead of the darker, more serious ones.

I've been enjoying watching Magnum and Hawaii Five-0 together on DVD, where they will live on forever in my household!