40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#841 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:02 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:13 pm There are so many stand-ins, doubles, and stunt doubles that do this kind of work and no one remembers them. There’s no celebrity, minor or otherwise… which is fine by me. :D
You coulda been somebody. You coulda been a contender. You coulda had class. Instead of a bum. Which is what you are. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m very happy with my current life, but I must confess that several friends from college were dumbfounded when I walked away from a contract for a third year on the show and went back to school for my teaching credential. Many of them were still trying to break into the industry and I was walking away from it. I have no regrets and now, almost 30 years later, I’m even more certain that I made the right decision. Some of those same friends have come and gone from the industry but I have been very happy with my choice. It’s hard to explain to many unless they have experienced it, but I know I made the right call.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#842 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:36 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:13 pm There are so many stand-ins, doubles, and stunt doubles that do this kind of work and no one remembers them. There’s no celebrity, minor or otherwise… which is fine by me. :D
You coulda been somebody. You coulda been a contender. You coulda had class. Instead of a bum. Which is what you are. :wink:

I’m very happy with my current life, but I must confess that several friends from college were dumbfounded when I walked away from a contract for a third year on the show and went back to school for my teaching credential. Many of them were still trying to break into the industry and I was walking away from it. I have no regrets and now, almost 30 years later, I’m even more certain that I made the right decision. Some of those same friends have come and gone from the industry but I have been very happy with my choice. It’s hard to explain to many unless they have experienced it, but I know I made the right call.
I think there's stability in the "mundane" whereas Hollywood is a very fickle and fleeting thing, probably even for just crew members.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#843 Post by eagle »

I know the feeling. Two thoughts: First, over my career my income has looked like a roller coaster (up and down, up and down, and no this is not counting the several periods of unemployment as "down"). Second, a few years ago, when I was unemployed, I called off several job interview processes, because the job was not a good fit. Some friends thought I was nuts because, yes, I was unemployed, but no, I did not think that "any job" was necessarily better than "no job." A few months in and I landed a great job, where I now work for an industry leader doing super fun work, making more money than I ever dreamed I'd make. Hopefully there's not another downhill here, but I kinda think I'm done with that ride.

Pahonu

#844 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:07 pm

I know the feeling. Two thoughts: First, over my career my income has looked like a roller coaster (up and down, up and down, and no this is not counting the several periods of unemployment as "down"). Second, a few years ago, when I was unemployed, I called off several job interview processes, because the job was not a good fit. Some friends thought I was nuts because, yes, I was unemployed, but no, I did not think that "any job" was necessarily better than "no job." A few months in and I landed a great job, where I now work for an industry leader doing super fun work, making more money than I ever dreamed I'd make. Hopefully there's not another downhill here, but I kinda think I'm done with that ride.
Good to hear and good luck with the newest job!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#845 Post by T.Q. »

October 21, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Past Tense
Air Date: 10/21/1982

Recurring Characters: Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka), Walter Chotzen (Icepick)

Guest Stars: James Wainwright (Morgan Lyden), Drew Snyder (Jack Curry), Pat Studstill (Floyd Bryce), Jim Reynolds (Eugene Goorwitz), Frank Atienza (Warden Gilmer), Clay Wai (Ernie Cobb)

There's terror in the sky when two bad guys posing as tourists hijack T.C.'s helicopter and force him to fly to a nearby prison where a breakout is taking place.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#846 Post by eagle »

Cool, so I'm not as far behind as I thought. Still watching "The Eighth Part of the Village." If I finish this today, then I can stay caught up. :)

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#847 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:07 pm I know the feeling. Two thoughts: First, over my career my income has looked like a roller coaster (up and down, up and down, and no this is not counting the several periods of unemployment as "down"). Second, a few years ago, when I was unemployed, I called off several job interview processes, because the job was not a good fit. Some friends thought I was nuts because, yes, I was unemployed, but no, I did not think that "any job" was necessarily better than "no job." A few months in and I landed a great job, where I now work for an industry leader doing super fun work, making more money than I ever dreamed I'd make. Hopefully there's not another downhill here, but I kinda think I'm done with that ride.

Great to hear, eagle. I'm happy for you. Yours is especially interesting because you had unemployed status. That can be a hitch for some for job placement. Apparently not for you as you were getting interviews. Was there anything in particular you did to offset it?

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#848 Post by Mark de Croix »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:06 pm Image

October 21, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Past Tense
Air Date: 10/21/1982

Recurring Characters: Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka), Walter Chotzen (Icepick)

Guest Stars: James Wainwright (Morgan Lyden), Drew Snyder (Jack Curry), Pat Studstill (Floyd Bryce), Jim Reynolds (Eugene Goorwitz), Frank Atienza (Warden Gilmer), Clay Wai (Ernie Cobb)

There's terror in the sky when two bad guys posing as tourists hijack T.C.'s helicopter and force him to fly to a nearby prison where a breakout is taking place.
Hey, TQ, a lot of party poopers this week! I'll try to help ya out here first by a swig of my champagne in your honor, along with some comments on the show. One, see my thread about Magnum smoking weed: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4679

For another: This episode Past Tense could be the first time Magnum shows genuine concern for Higgins’s welfare when he realizes Higgins is on the highjacked chopper.

Rick—what a shrimp. The guy Rick was guarding with a gun could put him in his back pocket. Apparently Rick's shrimpiness is found endearing by Magnum. That’s all I can say—other than it fits perfectly with the “missing episode” I created and posted by which to explain their relations-- them and TC.

Well, I've been partying non-stop since the start thanks to a case of champagne dropped off by a colonel of the West Yorkshire Regiment, thanking me (unnecessarily) for when I happened to help him get his car out of roadside ditch in West Yorkshire a few years back. He said he was doing it more for himself as an exercise in keeping his word. Unfortunately he couldn't enjoy the champagne with me as he had to get back to his Regiment. Well, here's to you and the Colonel ...

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#849 Post by T.Q. »

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White
Air Date: 10/28/1982

Recurring Characters: Glenn Cannon (Doc Ibold), Gillian Dobb (Agatha Chumley)

Guest Stars: Ian McShane (Edwin Clutterbuck), Lynne Moody (Bibi Kiamani)

Episode Brief
Magnum manufactures a fake quarantine in effort to keep an eye on and protect Higgins from Kenyans taking revenge for a 1950s massacre by killing members of Higgins' old army regiment.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#850 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:40 pm Image

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White

Episode Brief
Magnum manufactures a fake quarantine in effort to keep an eye on and protect Higgins from Kenyans taking revenge for a 1950s massacre by killing members of Higgins' old army regiment.
It just occurred to me that this may have been a sort-of Halloween episode. It actually aired the week of Halloween and even though it's never mentioned in the episode it does have a creepy/horror vibe to it. I really like this one and prefer something like this over an actual "Halloween episode" which is always so on-the-nose. Great episode and great "troubled" performance by Ian McShane!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#851 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:19 pm

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White

Episode Brief
It just occurred to me that this may have been a sort-of Halloween episode. It actually aired the week of Halloween and even though it's never mentioned in the episode it does have a creepy/horror vibe to it. I really like this one and prefer something like this over an actual "Halloween episode" which is always so on-the-nose. Great episode and great "troubled" performance by Ian McShane!
Super confusing episode as a kid. Didn't quite grasp it.

Much better now that you understand it.

Fleet Admiral

#852 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:49 pm

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White

Episode Brief

Just curious what you found confusing about it. Seems pretty straight-forward, with an excellent twist. Though maybe that's me looking at it through adult eyes. I never watched the show as a kid.

I do, however, remember a review on IMDB (I think) that said they should have confirmed at the end whether the other 3 chaps in Higgy's unit were killed by Clutterbuck or an actual Mau-Mau. :roll: Really? I think it's pretty obvious that there was no Mau-Mau and that Clutterbuck did the deed. Otherwise the story is pretty pointless - Clutterbuck comes to Hawaii to kill Higgy but the other 3 chaps were killed by a real Mau-Mau who is never apprehended or seen (except in Clutterbuck's own mind)? Kinda undermines the whole twist if there really was a Mau-Mau out there killing the others.

Pahonu

#853 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:31 pm

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White

Episode Brief

Just curious what you found confusing about it. Seems pretty straight-forward, with an excellent twist. Though maybe that's me looking at it through adult eyes. I never watched the show as a kid.

I do, however, remember a review on IMDB (I think) that said they should have confirmed at the end whether the other 3 chaps in Higgy's unit were killed by Clutterbuck or an actual Mau-Mau. :roll: Really? I think it's pretty obvious that there was no Mau-Mau and that Clutterbuck did the deed. Otherwise the story is pretty pointless - Clutterbuck comes to Hawaii to kill Higgy but the other 3 chaps were killed by a real Mau-Mau who is never apprehended or seen (except in Clutterbuck's own mind)? Kinda undermines the whole twist if there really was a Mau-Mau out there killing the others.
Agreed. It makes zero sense if there was an actual Mau-Mau who killed the others. Also, the opening scene where Clutterbuck opens the door to the Mau-Mau who then thrusts the dagger through the door is followed by a shot of no dagger mark. It defines it as something in his mind. I think things need to be spelled out more definitively for some than others.

Fleet Admiral

#854 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:57 am

October 28, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Black on White

Episode Brief

Agreed. It makes zero sense if there was an actual Mau-Mau who killed the others. Also, the opening scene where Clutterbuck opens the door to the Mau-Mau who then thrusts the dagger through the door is followed by a shot of no dagger mark. It defines it as something in his mind. I think things need to be spelled out more definitively for some than others.
I know. Can you imagine a scene at the end where Rick asks something like "So I don't get it... who killed those other 3 guys in Higgins' unit? And why was Clutterbuck dressed as a Mau-Mau and trying to kill Higgins?". And then Magnum explaining "Well, you see, Clutterbuck was actually punishing himself and everyone else in his unit by killing them, dressed as a Mau-Mau. He probably intended to kill himself eventually too". Higgins then chimes in... "Quite right, you see, it was all in his head. He conjured up those images of a Mau-Mau hunting him and the others. Perhaps he was even killing those poor lads subconsciously. He really was quite mad, you know. Poor chap."

So yeah we could have had all that exposition at the end, which would basically be stating the obvious, all of which we already surmised from the moment when we saw the spear next to Clutterbuck's head and then a second later that spear was gone and the Mau-Mau standing in the doorway was also gone. And then Clutterbuck undressing and revealing his Mau-Mau attire underneath. At that point everything was made clear. Clutterbuck is the Mau-Mau who's been doing all the killings and he's clearly quite mad. What doubts could there possibly be that needed special explanation at the end?

Pahonu

#855 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:43 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:57 am

I know. Can you imagine a scene at the end where Rick asks something like "So I don't get it... who killed those other 3 guys in Higgins' unit? And why was Clutterbuck dressed as a Mau-Mau and trying to kill Higgins?". And then Magnum explaining "Well, you see, Clutterbuck was actually punishing himself and everyone else in his unit by killing them, dressed as a Mau-Mau. He probably intended to kill himself eventually too". Higgins then chimes in... "Quite right, you see, it was all in his head. He conjured up those images of a Mau-Mau hunting him and the others. Perhaps he was even killing those poor lads subconsciously. He really was quite mad, you know. Poor chap."

So yeah we could have had all that exposition at the end, which would basically be stating the obvious, all of which we already surmised from the moment when we saw the spear next to Clutterbuck's head and then a second later that spear was gone and the Mau-Mau standing in the doorway was also gone. And then Clutterbuck undressing and revealing his Mau-Mau attire underneath. At that point everything was made clear. Clutterbuck is the Mau-Mau who's been doing all the killings and he's clearly quite mad. What doubts could there possibly be that needed special explanation at the end?
Pretty good Higgins dialogue in your exposition!