40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#826 Post by Mark de Croix »

Chris109 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:55 pm Image

That's a good joke. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, then you send 'em to me. I'll straighten 'em out.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#827 Post by Chris109 »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:31 pm
Chris109 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:55 pm Image

That's a good joke. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, then you send 'em to me. I'll straighten 'em out.
This is not my gif, but if it was I would not have let 'appropriation' be spelled that way since I went to the county final spelling bee when I was an 11 year old in grade skrool.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#828 Post by 308GUY »

Chris109 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:02 pm
This is not my gif, but if it was I would not have let 'appropriation' be spelled that way since I went to the county final spelling bee when I was an 11 year old in grade skrool.

LOL! :lol: Would love to share a brew or brandy with you on the beach at the estate! :D :magnum: :higgins: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#829 Post by Chris109 »

308GUY wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Chris109 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:02 pm

LOL! :lol: Would love to share a brew or brandy with you on the beach at the estate! :D :magnum: :higgins: :geek:
Just let me grab a couple of brewskis from the fridge...

Dammit. I HATE when that happens.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#830 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:10 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:49 am Oh, another thing that would be really awesome is if some MPI super-fan made an episode commentary for each episode. That's exactly what a super-fan from Knight Rider Historians did for Knight Rider - an episode by episode commentary of the series. These guys actually own one of the original Trans Am KITT's used on the show. They were even guests on Jay Leno's Garage. They do all the Knight Rider conventions and have interviewed cast and crew and guest stars and people involved with the show. These guys are an astounding resource of information when it comes to all things Knight Rider. So who better to do a Knight Rider commentary on every episode, right? You can check out these "non-director's-cut commentaries" :lol: here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzutzbY ... 1E8x3s9EEq

Wouldn't it be cool if there was something like this for MPI? I think the closest we came was those podcasts that those guys from LoadingReadyRun did for the first season and half of the second. And then they stopped for some reason. I think it was 2 guys and a girl. But they were just casual fans who haven't seen the show in ages and were just revisiting it to see if it still holds up. Certainly no experts on the show like some of us here. We really could use some definitive episode commentaries from a super-fan! :)
I saw that episode of Jay Leno’s Garage. There’s a pretty sizable group of Knight Rider fans it seems, and very dedicated. I was a kid when it first aired and loved it. They even filmed in my hometown once and my cousin and I rode our bikes over to watch. We were maybe 12 or 13. I’ve tried rewatching it a few times over the years and it just doesn’t hold up for me.

I perhaps mentioned this before, but I ended up working for two years in production on Baywatch with Hasselhoff in the early 90’s and he was a nice guy, but he didn’t seem to understand that both shows, while popular, weren’t exactly considered award winning television. Much of the crew would comment on this disconnect, but never to him of course. I remember one morning when he was on the weight bench and talking to one of the producers about how he didn’t understand why the broadcasters in Ireland wouldn’t purchase the syndication rights to the show. The show was first-run syndication for many years after just one network season, so that’s how they profited. He called it a family show… with all the T&A!?!?! :shock:

Did I ever tell you about the time a young boy with Down’s Syndrome in an episode did line-for-line recreations of Knight Rider scenes talking like Michael Knight into his imaginary watch to an imaginary KITT? The whole crew was enjoying it and he loved the attention. Hasselhoff, however, didn’t seem amused but what could he say?
Interesting story about Hasselhoff. He seems like a pretty down to earth and fun loving kind of guy who doesn't take himself too seriously and doesn't mind being the butt of a joke. One need look no further than his commentary on the KR pilot episode with series creator Glen Larson that's on the season 1 DVD. Almost the entire time Larson keeps ribbing him and The Hoff seems to take all his jabs at him in stride. I guess he would have to if it's a commentary that people will listen to. But he seems like he might be like that in real life. But keep in mind that he pretty much ruled the 80s and 90s with 2 enormously popular shows! And overseas he was a SUPER MEGA STAR! Especially in Germany. Not to mention his singing/recording career. Wasn't he even there helping to take down the Berlin Wall? As Higgy would say, "I was there, you know". :higgins: Being THE HOFF and all that, stardom could have gone to his head. But I think he handled it pretty well and isn't above having fun at his own expense. Don't Hassle the Hoff and all that. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#831 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:44 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:49 am Oh, another thing that would be really awesome is if some MPI super-fan made an episode commentary for each episode. That's exactly what a super-fan from Knight Rider Historians did for Knight Rider - an episode by episode commentary of the series. These guys actually own one of the original Trans Am KITT's used on the show. They were even guests on Jay Leno's Garage. They do all the Knight Rider conventions and have interviewed cast and crew and guest stars and people involved with the show. These guys are an astounding resource of information when it comes to all things Knight Rider. So who better to do a Knight Rider commentary on every episode, right? You can check out these "non-director's-cut commentaries" :lol: here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzutzbY ... 1E8x3s9EEq

Wouldn't it be cool if there was something like this for MPI? I think the closest we came was those podcasts that those guys from LoadingReadyRun did for the first season and half of the second. And then they stopped for some reason. I think it was 2 guys and a girl. But they were just casual fans who haven't seen the show in ages and were just revisiting it to see if it still holds up. Certainly no experts on the show like some of us here. We really could use some definitive episode commentaries from a super-fan! :)
I saw that episode of Jay Leno’s Garage. There’s a pretty sizable group of Knight Rider fans it seems, and very dedicated. I was a kid when it first aired and loved it. They even filmed in my hometown once and my cousin and I rode our bikes over to watch. We were maybe 12 or 13. I’ve tried rewatching it a few times over the years and it just doesn’t hold up for me.

I perhaps mentioned this before, but I ended up working for two years in production on Baywatch with Hasselhoff in the early 90’s and he was a nice guy, but he didn’t seem to understand that both shows, while popular, weren’t exactly considered award winning television. Much of the crew would comment on this disconnect, but never to him of course. I remember one morning when he was on the weight bench and talking to one of the producers about how he didn’t understand why the broadcasters in Ireland wouldn’t purchase the syndication rights to the show. The show was first-run syndication for many years after just one network season, so that’s how they profited. He called it a family show… with all the T&A!?!?! :shock:

Did I ever tell you about the time a young boy with Down’s Syndrome in an episode did line-for-line recreations of Knight Rider scenes talking like Michael Knight into his imaginary watch to an imaginary KITT? The whole crew was enjoying it and he loved the attention. Hasselhoff, however, didn’t seem amused but what could he say?
Interesting story about Hasselhoff. He seems like a pretty down to earth and fun loving kind of guy who doesn't take himself too seriously and doesn't mind being the butt of a joke. One need look no further than his commentary on the KR pilot episode with series creator Glen Larson that's on the season 1 DVD. Almost the entire time Larson keeps ribbing him and The Hoff seems to take all his jabs at him in stride. I guess he would have to if it's a commentary that people will listen to. But he seems like he might be like that in real life. But keep in mind that he pretty much ruled the 80s and 90s with 2 enormously popular shows! And overseas he was a SUPER MEGA STAR! Especially in Germany. Not to mention his singing/recording career. Wasn't he even there helping to take down the Berlin Wall? As Higgy would say, "I was there, you know". :higgins: Being THE HOFF and all that, stardom could have gone to his head. But I think he handled it pretty well and isn't above having fun at his own expense. Don't Hassle the Hoff and all that. :)
He was a nice guy, but early on he didn’t seem to realize that the American audience didn’t necessarily see him as a great actor. The self effacing humor came a little later I think, as his career went on. I worked on seasons 4 and 5 and he seemed more serious about his image then. He was also actively trying to promote his singing career here in the US. I forgot all about this until you mentioned the singing, but he had put up a lot of money for a pay per view concert, including the Baywatch cast and others that would showcase his singing. Later I remember him complaining to a producer that he had lost money because a certain OJ Simpson went on a slow police chase in a white Bronco at the time it was aired! :shock:

Edit:
I found this video advertising the show!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXjCLPu97A

I also just remembered that they tried a spin-off series Baywatch Nights where he was a detective! I recall working in a jazz/blues club location and I think he sang in some episodes but I never saw it. I worked on only one or two episodes of that one before I left the industry all together. Later, I heard it was altered to include supernatural elements because of low ratings. :shock: They certainly can’t be faulted for not trying! I never saw an episode. I also just remembered the closing credits of Baywatch had a song he performed for some of the seasons, I don’t know which though.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#832 Post by eagle »

Baywatch Nights was my introduction to Angie Harmon... still a fan to this day.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#833 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:38 pm

He was a nice guy, but early on he didn’t seem to realize that the American audience didn’t necessarily see him as a great actor. The self effacing humor came a little later I think, as his career went on. I worked on seasons 4 and 5 and he seemed more serious about his image then. He was also actively trying to promote his singing career here in the US. I forgot all about this until you mentioned the singing, but he had put up a lot of money for a pay per view concert, including the Baywatch cast and others that would showcase his singing. Later I remember him complaining to a producer that he had lost money because a certain OJ Simpson went on a slow police chase in a white Bronco at the time it was aired! :shock:

Edit:

I also just remembered that they tried a spin-off series Baywatch Nights where he was a detective! I recall working in a jazz/blues club location and I think he sang in some episodes but I never saw it. I worked on only one or two episodes of that one before I left the industry all together. Later, I heard it was altered to include supernatural elements because of low ratings. :shock: They certainly can’t be faulted for not trying! I never saw an episode. I also just remembered the closing credits of Baywatch had a song he performed for some of the seasons, I don’t know which though.

All the ribbing must have caught up with him at this time.

But, we've all had gone on a drunken stupor now and again, done stupid things, and wolfed down a...

Fleet Admiral

#834 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Edit:

I never cared for BAYWATCH but I did enjoy a few episodes of BAYWATCH NIGHTS - first season only! That's when it was a detective/PI show which of course is a genre I enjoy. Lou Rawls was also in that cast. Then they changed things up drastically for the second season and made it some unwatchable supernatural/monster show. It was like a totally different series. I believe Edward Mulhare appeared in one episode of the second season. I never bothered with that season. And yes Hasselhoff did actually sing the theme to BAYWATCH NIGHTS - it was called "The City of Angels" or something like that. I remember thinking it was pretty cool and catchy at the time but now it's really cheesy. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEDr6Kwnyw

Pahonu

#835 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:16 am

Edit:

I never cared for BAYWATCH but I did enjoy a few episodes of BAYWATCH NIGHTS - first season only! That's when it was a detective/PI show which of course is a genre I enjoy. Lou Rawls was also in that cast. Then they changed things up drastically for the second season and made it some unwatchable supernatural/monster show. It was like a totally different series. I believe Edward Mulhare appeared in one episode of the second season. I never bothered with that season. And yes Hasselhoff did actually sing the theme to BAYWATCH NIGHTS - it was called "The City of Angels" or something like that. I remember thinking it was pretty cool and catchy at the time but now it's really cheesy. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEDr6Kwnyw
I didn’t even know he sang the theme to Baywatch (K)Nights. :wink: That was cheesy! I never saw it until right now, but he also did the closing credit theme to Baywatch for some seasons. I’ll have to see if I can figure out what it was.

Edit:
It’s called Current of Love :roll:
Seasons 2-4 I read

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uINY84x7K2s

I just watched the credits and remember many of those people. Wow, what a flashback moment!!! It’s been close to 30 years since I started as a PA on the show.

I also don’t remember seeing Lou Rawls on Baywatch Nights, dang! I remembered Angie Harmon by sight, but she was brand new I think, and I knew nothing about her.

Fleet Admiral

#836 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:01 am

Edit:

I didn’t even know he sang the theme to Baywatch (K)Nights. :wink: That was cheesy! I never saw it until right now, but he also did the closing credit theme to Baywatch for some seasons. I’ll have to see if I can figure out what it was.

Edit:
Seasons 2-4 I read

I just watched the credits and remember many of those people. Wow, what a flashback moment!!! It’s been close to 30 years since I started as a PA on the show.

I also don’t remember seeing Lou Rawls on Baywatch Nights, dang! I remembered Angie Harmon by sight, but she was brand new I think, and I knew nothing about her.
I'm not familiar with that Baywatch end song that Hoff sang. I did always enjoy the opening Baywatch song. Didn't Hoff also sing that one? He really tried to push his singing career, didn't he? :wink: I prefer him singing the Baywatch Nights song though lol. Yes Lou Rawls was on the show. He did some singing in the club and I think he either ran the club or just performed there. I don't even remember if he helped out in any of the cases. I think he was just a background character. Yes Angie Harmon was just starting out at the time. I remember her also guesting at that time opposite Lorenzo Lamas in his biker action show RENEGADE in one episode. Call me crazy but I still remember this exchange between them to this day! :shock:

Lamas: "....but I can't give you no sex."
Harmon: "What about what I want?"
Lamas: "I think that IS what you want."
Harmon: "Hmmm.. yeah."

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I know I know... you're probably thinking what the heck???? It was a story where Harmon played the sister of Lamas' ex-fiancee who was killed by crooked cops who tried to kill him (he was then framed for her murder and went on the run - that was the premise of the show). So Harmon was hoping to rekindle something that Lamas had with her sister. :? But Lamas had to turn her down. Anyway, it's crazy that I still remember that exchange between them. Never seen that episode since then (circa '95).

Oh, back to the Hoff... I keep thinking of Glen Larson taking potshots at Hoff in the KR pilot commentary, talking about how they decided to cast him because he worked cheap. :lol: He was fresh off soap operas. Also they couldn't get the extra to play Michael Knight because he was too expensive. :lol: Even the Hoff winces a few times at how stiff he is in certain scenes. Apparently Don Johnson was also considered for the part.

Pahonu

#837 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:08 pm

Edit:

Edit:
Seasons 2-4 I read

I'm not familiar with that Baywatch end song that Hoff sang. I did always enjoy the opening Baywatch song. Didn't Hoff also sing that one? He really tried to push his singing career, didn't he? :wink: I prefer him singing the Baywatch Nights song though lol. Yes Lou Rawls was on the show. He did some singing in the club and I think he either ran the club or just performed there. I don't even remember if he helped out in any of the cases. I think he was just a background character. Yes Angie Harmon was just starting out at the time. I remember her also guesting at that time opposite Lorenzo Lamas in his biker action show RENEGADE in one episode. Call me crazy but I still remember this exchange between them to this day! :shock:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I know I know... you're probably thinking what the heck???? It was a story where Harmon played the sister of Lamas' ex-fiancee who was killed by crooked cops who tried to kill him (he was then framed for her murder and went on the run - that was the premise of the show). So Harmon was hoping to rekindle something that Lamas had with her sister. :? But Lamas had to turn her down. Anyway, it's crazy that I still remember that exchange between them. Never seen that episode since then (circa '95). :x

Oh, back to the Hoff... I keep thinking of Glen Larson taking potshots at Hoff in the KR pilot commentary, talking about how they decided to cast him because he worked cheap. :lol: He was fresh off soap operas. Also they couldn't get the extra to play Michael Knight because he was too expensive. :lol: Even the Hoff winces a few times at how stiff he is in certain scenes. Apparently Don Johnson was also considered for the part.
Interesting details about Knight Rider. I never really looked too deep at it. I enjoyed it as a kid and not as an adult so my knowledge ends at about age 13 or 14. :P. I did know he had been in a soap opera. It came up in conversation over the years that I worked on it. This isn’t trying to be a cheap shot or anything, but he was not an athlete, and it showed, even though he played this very physical character. He talked about being in drama and choir and the like in high school, a performer. In several scenes where he had to do more technical athletic things, they used doubles. I was one of them, and sometimes his standin. I jumped off the Scarab into the water more than once and fell into some boxes. Even just running through the surf and jumping in the water through waves were often doubles. I think they were too cheap to use stuntmen but I got a significant pay bump for doing them. I was hired as a PA because I also resembled him physically enough that I could do double duty. They did those kind of things a lot to keep the budget down.

It’s pretty wild that you remember that dialogue from one viewing in 1995! I never saw Renegade and only remembered it existed when you brought it up. I believe that it was also a first run syndication series. That production model really took off in the 90’s.

Fleet Admiral

#838 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm

Edit:

Edit:
Seasons 2-4 I read

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I know I know... you're probably thinking what the heck???? It was a story where Harmon played the sister of Lamas' ex-fiancee who was killed by crooked cops who tried to kill him (he was then framed for her murder and went on the run - that was the premise of the show). So Harmon was hoping to rekindle something that Lamas had with her sister. :? But Lamas had to turn her down. Anyway, it's crazy that I still remember that exchange between them. Never seen that episode since then (circa '95). :x

Interesting details about Knight Rider. I never really looked too deep at it. I enjoyed it as a kid and not as an adult so my knowledge ends at about age 13 or 14. :P. I did know he had been in a soap opera. It came up in conversation over the years that I worked on it. This isn’t trying to be a cheap shot or anything, but he was not an athlete, and it showed, even though he played this very physical character. He talked about being in drama and choir and the like in high school, a performer. In several scenes where he had to do more technical athletic things, they used doubles. I was one of them, and sometimes his standin. I jumped off the Scarab into the water more than once and fell into some boxes. Even just running through the surf and jumping in the water through waves were often doubles. I think they were too cheap to use stuntmen but I got a significant pay bump for doing them. I was hired as a PA because I also resembled him physically enough that I could do double duty. They did those kind of things a lot to keep the budget down.

It’s pretty wild that you remember that dialogue from one viewing in 1995! I never saw Renegade and only remembered it existed when you brought it up. I believe that it was also a first run syndication series. That production model really took off in the 90’s.
Wow, doubling for The Hoff!! :shock: That makes you something of a celebrity! :lol: Must have been fun. Falling into boxes and running through the surf. You mentioned you were tall. So was Hasselhoff, though I don't think he's 6'6". But did you also have curly hair?

Sorry, T.Q. for derailing this thread. We should stick to MPI's anniversary.

Pahonu

#839 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:59 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm

Edit:
Seasons 2-4 I read

Wow, doubling for The Hoff!! :shock: That makes you something of a celebrity! :lol: Must have been fun. Falling into boxes and running through the surf. You mentioned you were tall. So was Hasselhoff, though I don't think he's 6'6". But did you also have curly hair?

Sorry, T.Q. for derailing this thread. We should stick to MPI's anniversary.
No, he was about two inches shorter than me, but much taller than the fellow cast so it worked, and I did have curly brown hair like him. Today the gray hair is much less curly, which I actually prefer, plus I keep it much shorter now. During the season I actually used to get my haircuts in the hair and make-up trailer so it was similar to his. I just remember thinking ”free haircut” cool! :lol: These were my first two years out of college and money was tight. I remember he celebrated his 40th during the filming of one episode and I thought 40 was so old!!! :shock: In addition to being taller I was about 35 pounds heavier at the time, and in pretty good shape being just a couple of years from playing college ball. There are so many stand-ins, doubles, and stunt doubles that do this kind of work and no one remembers them. There’s no celebrity, minor or otherwise… which is fine by me. :D

Fleet Admiral

#840 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:13 pm There are so many stand-ins, doubles, and stunt doubles that do this kind of work and no one remembers them. There’s no celebrity, minor or otherwise… which is fine by me. :D
You coulda been somebody. You coulda been a contender. You coulda had class. Instead of a bum. Which is what you are. :wink: